Photo

how to make a scanned drawn picture look better?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sly

sly

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:39 PM

Hey Guys, I hope my English is not too bad. I've drawn a Logo for myself and scanned it into photoshop. Now I wanna make the edges more realistic and the curves too, because its drawn. The edges should be straight, not like drawn, if you understand? And the curves,too. With which tool could I get a good result? here are 2 pics uploaded with imagehack. Thanks 4 help!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I hope you understand what I want to do^^ waiting for replys

Edited by sly, 12 December 2006 - 07:41 PM.

#2 batu.man

batu.man

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:27 PM

well my friend, you're only good path would be to learn the pen tool :D

#3 Dance

Dance

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:14 AM

I wrote this 3 am last night but when i where about to post it my internet got all screwed up and i couldnt acces any sites at all. Anyway shabe about a long post i though and saved it on my desktop, it will definatly make you realy confused if nothing else...

Okay you arent all to familiar with PS i take it. Okay First of you should "Vectorise" the lines. (Vocabulary that is used ahead my be unheard of if you are unfamiliar with graphics or english as primary language, do a wikipedia search if you dont know what a word meens, my spelling isnt the greatest either :rolleyes: )

A vector in mathematics are used to describe something that have a direction aswell as a magnitude or size. Often to describe newtonic kinematics. In Photoshop and other graphics applications vectors are mainly used to define graphic curves aka "lines" as mathematic functions rather then in a conventional razter or bitmap formats where every pixel in the picture just have its information as a posission and a color. What this allows for are graphics that are unlimitly scalable and reeditable. You want to have any logo you make in a vector format so that you are never limited by any resizeing issues that may occur if it is a razter type.

To do this make a new layer in your document area and grab the pen tool from the tools panel (default hotkey is "P"). Then click the cruisor at wherever you feel is a good starting point of the line that makes up your logo. I like to start of in corners if there are any because of issues setting tangents when/if you start drawing on the middle of a curve. But we will get to that.

Now click on the next "keypoint" of the shape, that is where the curve changes its "direction" (or if you know your math where the derived function f(x) of the curve hits a f'(x)=0) from a curve going left to a curve going right or from going up to going down or vice versa. And hold down the mouse button. Hold and drag out of the point you placed to draw out a "tangent" This tangent till determen the shape of the curve in between the two points.

To understand how this works the best thing you can do is to experiment with the tool and see what you can do with it. when you wish to close the shape you press inside the starting node, point, dot of the curve to close the shape up and get a solid. If you only wish to have the outline you need to det the pen tool to "paths" its a option in the top panell to the left. And to make a actual line of the shape you defined with your pen tool you need to go to the "paths" tab. its often doced along with channels to the layers box otherwise you can open it up under the "window" menu. Select your path and click the little arrow icon to the top right in the box (very tiny for some reason) and choose "stroke path" from the dropdown menu. Now go to the brush tool and selecta a brush , size, hardness, and all settings you want and make shure its brush set in the little box asking what to stroke the path with. and klick okay (the cheaker box asking if you want to have the line "simulate pressure" should be of in your case. and then you should have a nice line to your logo. To add color to it, go to a new layer, go to that little arrow in the path tab and select fill path to add a solid color. Then you would probobly be best of to use the layer styles wizzard to set up emboss effects and gradients but you have to search the index for that. Coz now its 03.am and i have written a totaly senceless way to long text filled with bad spelling only coz... i dont know its late and my head is thinking funny.

#4 sly

sly

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:57 AM

hey thanks! I'll try it and then I will post if i get to it xD thanks =)

#5 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 12:14 PM

Wanted to stop correcting exams for a moment so...

:rolleyes:

It's in illustrator format ftm (the figure is a jpeg representation)

If you want the vectorformat just say so and i'll attach a link to the image.

EDIT:
link doesnt work? this a first, k, upload trial then...[attachment=1967:LogoSomeOne.jpg]

Edited by Scythar, 14 December 2006 - 01:24 PM.

#6 Onli

Onli

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 11:26 AM

How about this for your logo? :P
Posted Image

#7 sly

sly

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 07:24 AM

wow that looks good! But i cant do this with the pen tool ... i dont understand it x_X xDD
how do you did this?
well I think i get it with the pen tool, but this is hard work x_X

Edited by sly, 16 December 2006 - 07:33 AM.

#8 Dance

Dance

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:39 AM

The pen tool is onlt for making the outlines, all the colours and effexts need to be added separtaly using other tools and tequnices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users