#21 Griffin

Griffin

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • Interests:Things I find interesting.

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:59 PM

in the eye its calm, but the walls around it are the most powerfull parts of the storm. Closer to the eye you get the more powerful it is.

#22 D3 Max

D3 Max

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:00 PM

Yea. Thats what I meant. Inside the eye is calm. Hard to imagine that though, lol.

#23 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:14 PM

Yea. Thats what I meant. Inside the eye is calm. Hard to imagine that though, lol.

http://www.osei.noaa...trina240_N7.jpg

Almost looks like it has a smiley face in the eye, thats the weirdest thing

Updates posted here:

http://www.osei.noaa...Events/Current/

#24 D3 Max

D3 Max

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:43 PM

Almost looks like it has a smiley face in the eye, thats the weirdest thing

There is! Its there just look carefully.
Posted Image
;)

Edited by D3 Max, 28 August 2005 - 08:36 PM.

#25 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 08:09 PM

Good luck and best wishes to everyone in the path of this storm... Please be safe!

Faken

#26 -Michael-

-Michael-

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:06 PM

I see the smiley!

I'd hate to be there now. Florida is actually goung to get feeder bands.

#27 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:09 PM

What is a feeder band? sorry never heard of that before.

#28 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:19 PM

This (kind of) helps:

Feeder bands of clouds streaking out from the extreme edges of a hurricane are not to be ignored. We call them "feeder bands" because they are pulling moisture up from the ocean "feeding" the clouds of the storm. Typically a day or two after the hurricane has passed the remainder of the feeder bands will come ashore, dropping incredible amounts of rain. Often the flooding caused by these rains causes more damage than the actual hurricane.

http://www.marshbunn...ane/storms.html

#29 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:27 PM

Thanks Jaymz, seriously thats the first time I have heard that.

#30 Snare

Snare

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:30 PM

imagine if a hurricane was the size of the world :|

#31 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:36 PM

Going to add a friendly reminder to those replying to this topic as it seems we have had to remove some pretty pathetic cruel replies today.

Have a heart and show some kinda respect if you can

#32 ThaBirdman

ThaBirdman

Pidgeon Trainer

• Twodded Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:38 PM

Dern it....Donna got theee before I could use the WTF bunny.....

anyhooo, this sounds like it'll be worse than the one that just missed....best wishes to all those near the new orleans area!

imagine if a hurricane was the size of the world :|

Attached Files

• Attached File  WTF.jpg   47.49KB   7 downloads

Edited by ThaBirdman, 28 August 2005 - 09:39 PM.

#33 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:41 PM

Special note to anyone with Canadian relatives visiting the area:

Dan McTeague, parliamentary secretary for Canadians abroad, said Sunday while Canadians do travel to the area that is in the path of the hurricane, the federal government did not have a firm number on how many were there now.

He expects there will be some disruption for days to come following the storm, so Canadians with any questions or who need to contact Foreign Affairs operations centre in Ottawa can call collect toll-free 613-996-8888 or 1-800-387-3124.

Source: Cnews

I cannot find American phone numbers for missing persons at this time.

#34 -Michael-

-Michael-

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:46 PM

This (kind of) helps:

Feeder bands of clouds streaking out from the extreme edges of a hurricane are not to be ignored. We call them "feeder bands" because they are pulling moisture up from the ocean "feeding" the clouds of the storm. Typically a day or two after the hurricane has passed the remainder of the feeder bands will come ashore, dropping incredible amounts of rain. Often the flooding caused by these rains causes more damage than the actual hurricane.

http://www.marshbunn...ane/storms.html

Feeder bands are also the part of the storm most likely to spawn tornadoes..

#35 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:56 AM

jesus...

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/4196188.stm

More than 50 people have been killed as Hurricane Katrina lashed the US Gulf coast, emergency officials have said.
Many of those deaths took place in just one Mississippi county, according to an official quoted by AP news agency.

The Mississippi resort towns of Biloxi and Gulfport bore the brunt of Katrina as it spun away from the Louisiana city of New Orleans.

The storm is one of the strongest to have hit the US, causing up to $25bn (£14bn) of damage, correspondents say.

Helicopters and boats were used to rescue hundreds of people stranded on the roofs of their homes

Electricity, water, and radio reception are all gone. We are all hoping that the worst will soon be over

Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour told reporters his worst fear was "that there are a lot of dead people out there".

Jim Pollard, spokesman for the Harrison County emergency operations centre, told AP that dozens of people were killed at an apartment complex in Biloxi.

Three other people were killed by falling trees in Mississippi, and in Alabama two people died in a road accident.

New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin told a local TV station several "bodies are floating in the water".

"I've never encountered anything like it in my life. It just kept rising and rising," said one resident, Byran Vernon, telling AP he spent three hours on his roof waiting to be rescued.

Flooding

The storm caused extensive damage in Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana, where it swept ashore on Monday after moving across the Gulf of Mexico.

At least two oil rigs were set adrift by fierce winds. A rig in Mobile Bay, Alabama, broke free of its moorings and struck a bridge.

Katrina submerged neighbourhoods in New Orleans and tore part of the roof off a stadium where many had sought refuge.

Power lines were cut, palm trees felled, shops wrecked and cars hurled across streets strewn with shattered glass.

Hundreds of thousands of people had fled New Orleans as the hurricane approached, amid fears that a storm surge could topple the barriers that protect the city, which sits some 6ft (2m) below sea level.

But the storm weakened after making landfall and turned eastward, sparing New Orleans a direct hit, despite frightening predictions.

The hurricane brought 105mph (170km/h) winds to Mississippi, where Governor Barbour told reporters it came in "like a ton of bricks".

Katrina was later downgraded to a tropical storm as it passed through the eastern part of the state, heading north at 21mph (34 kph).

President George W Bush called on people not to return to their homes until the authorities told them to.

The president has issued a state of emergency in Louisiana and Mississippi, clearing the way for federal aid.

ps Donna, are you impressed? i read the news...

#36 ascen9

ascen9

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 06:51 AM

Good luck to all in New Orleans. It has been strange, in Melbourne over the last few days we have had really strong winds (obviously not of the scale of those being experianced in New Orleans) - but it is a coincidence that his occured at the same time as the storm in the US.

#37 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:29 AM

I was watching Biloxi get hit on CNN (there were reporters there) and it was very scary, a couple had to get physically dragged back inside or they would blow away :ph34r:

#38 d7x

d7x

P2L Jedi

• Twodded Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 30 August 2005 - 11:43 AM

yeah, i was watching the news alot, its insane what happened.... Their highway got flooded!

#39 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 12:46 PM

Early Tuesday, however, a levee gave way, and 80% of New Orleans is now said to be under water, which in some places is 25 feet deep.

From WikiPedia

:ph34r:

------------------

Water poured into New Orleans from Lake Pontchartrain after a two-block-long breach opened overnight in a section of a levee that protects the low-lying city.

Nagin had said that about 80 percent of the city was flooded and that some areas were under 20 feet of water.

Nagin said both the city's airports were under water, the Southern Yacht Club had burned to the ground, an oil tanker had run aground and was leaking, there were gas leaks throughout the city and Interstate 10's twin spans heading east over the lake were "completely destroyed."

"We know we've had some loss of life. We really don't know how much. There are credible accounts of 50 to 80 in Harrison County. Those are not confirmed, but they're credible," Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour said Tuesday.

"And I hate to say it, I think there are going to be more."

CNN

Edited by Jaymz, 30 August 2005 - 12:53 PM.

#40 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 12:48 PM

Early Tuesday, however, a levee gave way, and 80% of New Orleans is now said to be under water, which in some places is 25 feet deep.

From WikiPedia

:ph34r:

Don't believe half the stuff you read on that site anyone can edit it - article is gone btw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users