47 replies to this topic

#1 BeaverElfeater

BeaverElfeater

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:18 PM

this is my WIP of my nissan skyline that im modeling, theres not much to crit right now but i want to log my progress so maybe someone can learn from me.

up to this point the surface has no depth, i just extrude edges and form the serface, paying attention to details that i will need to model out later, leaving spaces for them

im liking how the mesh is looking so far, im going to convert to sub divisions to do the final touchups when im done.

my goal is to creat a photorealistic car. im going to go into texturing and shaders more than i did on my porsche. as u can see there are some mistakes on my mesh according to the blueprints, this is intentional, i want to create a custom car really sort of. i dont want the bluepritns to dictate my modeling since i didnt create them, and im not going for a pinpoint accurate model.

anyway, heres a ss

Posted Image

this is after about an hour its too much time, but i wanted to make sure the mesh flowed correctly and that it was perfect, i didnt just zoom throuw it as usuall

Edited by BeaverElfeater, 09 October 2005 - 10:21 PM.

#2 /quit

/quit

P2L Che

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:20 PM

you = god
can't wait till i can model like that :tiphat: :D

#3 BeaverElfeater

BeaverElfeater

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:25 PM

you = god
can't wait till i can model like that :tiphat: :D

lol, thanks anti, its not really that hard, i find the hardest part for me is to just start a project, i usualy cant just jump into a project, because im scared ill fail or something, but when u do get over that mental block, and just model, thats when u start learning.

so just keep practicing

#4 BeaverElfeater

BeaverElfeater

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:07 AM

heres an update

Posted Image

that just after a couple hours, theres still a bunch to do, thats pretty much the low res frame, but tommorow i gotta tweak every vertext out and get the mesh flowing as good as possible. and then im convert to subds and start creasing out the model

anyways im off to slumber

oh and btw heres a mirrored mesh

Posted Image :tiphat:

Edited by BeaverElfeater, 10 October 2005 - 12:14 AM.

#5 _*sh3riff*_*

_*sh3riff*_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2005 - 01:09 AM

your pretty good dude~!

* final product will be awesome

#6 ThaBirdman

ThaBirdman

Pidgeon Trainer

• Twodded Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 02:01 AM

oh wow! cant wait to see the rest! i like this way of showing us each step...almost like a tut lol! looks very good dude!

#7 Mooey

Mooey

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:http://500px.com/mikeholman
    http://holmanmedia.net

Posted 10 October 2005 - 03:00 AM

B.E - that is some cool modelling man, well done. I couldn't do that :P

I know you said you were cleaning the mesh but I thought I would post this anyway just incase it helped in some small way :)

1- Point needs fixing

2 - 3 sided polygons, i'd get rid of them if you could.

Great pic fella.

Attached Files

#8 BeaverElfeater

BeaverElfeater

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 02:17 PM

i know what yo mean, i prefer to keep all my models made with 4 sided standard polygons, but sometimes 3 sided polys are nessacary, and in this case SOME of them are, because when i go to put in the real sharp corners and some irregularities in the body note figure a-1

Posted Image
figure a-1

#9 SHIVMOO

SHIVMOO

Honoured X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 02:28 PM

good stuff beaver..
when i read your last post i cracked up laughing...

"note figure a-1"
(pic)
Figure a-1

lol

#10 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 04:02 PM

its amazing
cant wait to see it texturized

#11 BeaverElfeater

BeaverElfeater

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:17 PM

hehe shiv

thanks everyone for the feedback

my methods : i got to work on it for a couple hours today, i cleaned up the low poly mesh, then brought it into sub-ds, this is where it gets a little bit tricky, i have to select the edges i want defined and "crease" them which in lamens terms means subdivide, this results in a very HIGH poly count and a very messy mesh, but this doesent really matter because im not animating this, its just a little thing for fun and for a still, so i dont really need to worry about any thing but my render time(which i dont give a hoot about)

new picture:

Posted Image
figure a-2(lofl shiv:P )

im almost done modeling, i still have a bit of things to crease up and then texturing (oh god) and rendering is left to do

btw, the blue isnt the final color i just use that to pick up highlights and help me see what needs to be worked on, and what things i already worked on while im modeling

#12 Ckristian

Ckristian

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:Programming...

Posted 11 October 2005 - 01:09 PM

Lookin' great Beaver :D and ROFL @ fig a-1 post as well :P

#13 BeaverElfeater

BeaverElfeater

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 03:23 PM

whew! now that the easy part is out of the way, time to do some of the details, there are some weird deforms in the mesh but im not going to bother with them that much, its just what i get for depending on subd-s

heres another updatePosted Image

its pretty much the same as my last but i finished the back parts,

now im getting ready to convert into polygons, and stick em together to do the rest of the details like the headlights, tires, bracke calipers, mirrors (lol my carrera with no mirrors)

depending on how much i do today, i could be finished tommorow or or thursday, (no homework today <_< :blink:

Edited by BeaverElfeater, 11 October 2005 - 03:24 PM.

#14 ronson

ronson

Banned For Being Purple

• Twodded Staff
  • PipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Interests:Rugby, Programming, Building Computers, Networking, Web Design and...........BINGE DRINKING!!!!!!.

Posted 11 October 2005 - 06:00 PM

Omg that's bloody brilliant! I think i should steal all your skills (if i could) Nissan Skyline is one of my faverouite cars! Sweet!

Good Job dude!

James

#15 BeaverElfeater

BeaverElfeater

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 07:20 PM

OK, one last update for today

Posted Image

this is them esh doubles over, im really likin how it looks right now, and the headlights are SOOOOO GREAT :D they made all the difference in the model, its been a smooth ride (excluding the taillights, and the doors, and the headlights) so far

#16 dan1677

dan1677

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 06:18 AM

Wow, wow and WOW!

So cool mate. Have not tried to do car modelling yet. Still learning but will give it a go someday. I sure hope it comes out even half as good as your model. Well done.

#17 Ckristian

Ckristian

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Interests:Programming...

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:44 AM

This makes me wanna throw my first car modelling attempt out the window lol

Awesome dude. Keep us posted ;)

#18 Atomica

Atomica

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Music-Art

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:52 AM

Whoa, thats looking great, Skylines are awesome cars, and that looks very complex. Would like a wallpaper once your done, if you create one. Keep it going.
How long have you been using maya?

#19 Bryn

Bryn

Spammer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts
  • Interests:Music, Philosophy, Design, History, Reading, Writing, The Weekend etc...

Posted 12 October 2005 - 01:58 PM

Looking very very very very very very very very very rubbish...
na Jk, thats really sweet, nicely done too + i cant wait until full finish + rendered

#20 BeaverElfeater

BeaverElfeater

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 02:08 PM

hey thanks for all the great feedback guys, im planning to update a little more today, maybe tonight, i still have some other projects to due. if i dont get it done by tommorow, it will definately finish by the weekend..... hopefully

Whoa, thats looking great, Skylines are awesome cars, and that looks very complex. Would like a wallpaper once your done, if you create one. Keep it going.
How long have you been using maya?

ehhhh ive had it installed on my computer since may i think.... but i went on vaction for a month during the summer and i wasnt really into it for the first couple of weeks, so roughly 3.5 or four months, it seems a longer than that to me though....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users