Photo

NEW CATEGORY! Swift 3D has been added to the list!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 11:46 PM

I've added a persnoal favorite of mine, and it's really hard to find tutorials on this application. Electric Rain's Swift 3D is a fantastic 3D application with direct Macromedia Flash support. It exports to numerous vector and rastor based formats, including right to SWF. It imports .3ds meshes and you can build your own bitmap textures etc... I use version 3 and it was love at first sight.

Faken

#2 _*Longshot_*

_*Longshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2004 - 04:27 PM

I've fooled with some these tutorials, and there are some minor errors in one or two. The jet-engine tutorial (#11 on the tutorial list) has some lathe editor plotting point location errors on the engine cowling, and trying to use the ones listed will probably cause a stroke. Luckily for you, I've already recovered from my stroke discovering this, and I'm going to pass my lesson on to you.

The main thing to understand about these tutorials is they describe how to achieve these items as if you already knew how to use the program. If you're a noob to the program (like me), them you're going to struggle to understand what the hell each item does and how you can take advantage of it.

First, what exactly does the lathe editor do? Basically, it allows you to plot a simple 2-dimensional line drawing and have the program automatically "lathe" it and make it spherical, allowing for any custom shape that you can modify (see the Diet Coke tutorial for a great example). Keep in mind that any shape you make is never done until exported, meaning you can constantly adjust the size and shape of the item to fit your needs.

Second, if you're reading this to get the exact plot-points from me, I'm not going to be able to help you there. What you're going to have to do is draw it the way it's shown, "guesstimating" the sizes based on the pictures provided, and manuever it into position. This sounds much harder than it actually is, and fooling with it is the fastest way to learn.

If you're reading this, but don't know what program this is, I highly recommend you check it out. Once you get the basics down, it's highly intuitive, and best of all, offers quickly rewarding results. Go to Erain Swift 3d and check them out. Anyone having any problems I might be able to help you with, feel free to drop me a line at [email protected]. If I can't help, we'll go bug Faken.

Posted Image

#3 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 05:02 PM

So I take it you'll be writing some nice tutorials for us?? ;)

Faken

#4 _*Longshot_*

_*Longshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2004 - 05:48 PM

For basic stuff, I just might. I still have a long way to go to get this thing down.

#5 _*Longshot_*

_*Longshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2004 - 06:24 PM

This is something basic I was fooling with for Swift. This was actually pretty easy to do.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users