Photo

Too Cool For IE or too Stupid? Get Over It.

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 12:03 PM

i did my research and... these guys aernt even serious webmasters so what's the fuss about there just some kids trying to promote other browsers who gives a damn,i'm sure youll never go on a professional website and find that image displayed

Because these people submit tutorials and information to P2L on a regular basis and I'm sick of seeing them and having my time wasted. Sadly, not all of them are kids, and some have sites of significant size. Like I said, my post is a half rant, half article, and seeing as we're all about teaching people, I'm trying to head this off with junior web developpers before they start trying to be serious about it. If I didn't care about the "newbs" and beginners as much as I do the pros, P2L wouldn't exist.

Faken

#22 Arutha

Arutha

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 12:10 PM

i did my research and... these guys aernt even serious webmasters so what's the fuss about there just some kids trying to promote other browsers who gives a damn,i'm sure youll never go on a professional website and find that image displayed

i think you will find having the banner on your site is a way of expressing your opinion. I like FF, i prefer it too IE and therefore i will promote it because i think that people should give it a go. All this "oh i hate microsoft, so i'll use FF" is a load off shit as well. Its a personal preference and therefore shouldn't be argued about. And yea SITE REMOVED has the banner on.. i think it looks nice and tells people who come to my site what i think, oh and its works perfectly on IE and FF.

Oh and blainex you have no right to decide who is a serious webmaster and what is a professional website or not. If you pay people to design your tempates.

Sorry for the rant, this topic gets on my nerves. And nice article dan..

Arutha

i :D FF :D

Edit: Then agian i'm not having it on my new version in the new year cos it doesn't go with the color scheme

Edited by Donna, 20 December 2005 - 01:25 PM.

#23 blinek

blinek

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 12:34 PM

Everything i have to say has already been said. So, i just leave this short little note. If you do have one of these so called "To Cool For IE" scripts or buttons on your site then i would have to say you need to open you eyes and realize that 70% of people use Internet Explorer. So you saying i dont like website traffic and you only letting 30% of the people view you website.

Kinda of dumb dont you think!

Regards

**** goes and delted the one from site **** just joking i dont have one, or will i ever!

Edited by aeiko, 20 December 2005 - 12:36 PM.

#24 sury

sury

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 04:39 PM

In my eyes, if you can't produce sites to work in multiple browsers, then don't call yourself a web designer/developer.
Sure i prefer Firefox over any other browser, but come on, as a developer you have to make sites run on just about every browser on any type of platform.

For all you people out there that have got those signs "Too Cool for IE", i suggest you think again, it just comes down to poor knowledge of coding if you can't get it to run on multiple browser, so what if it is just the CSS in IE, use alternative style sheets if you have to.

#25 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:01 PM

Dude...I feel the exact same thing. seeing all these damn too cool for IE websites and damn Mozilla lovers is annoying. Just shut the hell up about IE. Why everyone always hating?

I find it utterly ridiculous that a guy who says this would have this message on one of his sites:

"SORRY, It Appears that you are using Mozilla Firefox Or Opera Or Another Uncompatible browser. Our site is designed for IE, and a Few Other Browsers. Please switch your browser to Internet Explorer, and you will be able to browse through the website.

NO MOZILLA FIREFOX OR OPERA"

#26 SuperHumanly

SuperHumanly

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 08:40 PM

I agree, and I dont even think firefox is that good of a browser and I never use it but my site is still firefox compliant.

#27 .eXcellion

.eXcellion

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 11:54 PM

Well said Faken, and Blainex, FYI, a webmaster is someone who owns and or runs a website, it does not matter how big or small it is. For god sakes, a Freewebs site has a webmaster!

Anyways, I completly agree with you Faken, this is going to far! If someone wants me to download a browser just to view their site, then I say screw them, and leave. People seem, to think one is better than the other. In some areas, it may be, but in others, it isn't. Firefox is said to be the best browser. I use it but I have to say I disagree. There are many other browsers better, and IE in some cases is one of them. Firefox is better because it is sleeker, and has tabs, but IE is better because of the way it is set up overall, and is more compatible with things.

This is my opinion, so I do not care what you think about it, so do not bother trying to put me down because of my thoughts, as I will not care.

#28 arcath

arcath

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 09:06 AM

I hate IE, think it should be erased, but its here :D when i make websites, if i have the time (which is rare) i will fix the errors, but normally i will make sure the layout works then post a message sayin Best Viewed in Firefox

#29 syphon

syphon

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 03:02 PM

For a rant, its pretty well thought out Faken :D

I am slowly learning the ways of CC in browsers, may clients pray it works on day!

Other than that, my conclusion is that browsing the web is over-rated!

O_O you better be able to recognize sarcasm!

du

Edited by syphon, 21 December 2005 - 03:03 PM.

#30 Azgolar

Azgolar

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:52 AM

Well said indeed :) . Come to think of it, reminds me of something rather funny on a website I saw a while ago. Ok, well I went to this incredibly massive and popular website. Great content, loads of users, but incredibly slow server. Guess what? They advertised FF, I guess because their site was too slow to do much anyway. Thing was, I used FF and, unlike IE, I found many an error.

Nowadays it's almost like your forced to support FF. As much as I like the browser, it is not as compatible as IE. When most people see "Best viewed in Internet Explorer" they start to think your crazy.

#31 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Programming, Storm Chasing, Games (Designing and playing), Hockey, Photography

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:39 AM

I agree totally to what your saying, now I really don't care for IE I use Opera or Mozilla Firefox, but I am designing a new look for my site when I get my .com and I try to make it look good in every browser. I think one of the big parts to it is probably laziness because they just don't want to go through the effort of making there site compatible with all browsers. Also if you are trying to run a business and you say "You can only view this site in Mozilla Firefox" it will really make your site lose people. Like you said Faken 70% of people use IE. Now this is just what I think maybe they are not doing it because there lazy maybe they are doing it because then Are really big followers of a specific browser, I don't know. This is just my two cents on this.

dEcade

#32 Vouksh

Vouksh

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:59 PM

(Un?)fortunately I run linux, so I can't test my website in IE. Don't say WINE, because I only use WINE when it's absolutely needed, which is almost never.

That's the reason I actually have my TCFIE logo.

#33 AnDy89

AnDy89

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 03:36 PM

nice one faken, its 100% true.

on a side note what you said about FF being the hard to code for browser is also true, I can code for IE and Opera and its FF that needs the tweaking.

Personally I think FF is a horrible browser which is only big as its always been free and open source, whereas Opera didnt use to be free and now has a bad label to its name.

#34 HumbuckeR

HumbuckeR

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 06:08 PM

nice one faken, its 100% true.

on a side note what you said about FF being the hard to code for browser is also true, I can code for IE and Opera and its FF that needs the tweaking.

Personally I think FF is a horrible browser which is only big as its always been free and open source, whereas Opera didnt use to be free and now has a bad label to its name.

FF is not a horrible browser... In fact is a very well designed and written browser that offers compatibility with CSS "as it should".

And everyone's ranting about how it's bad to put these banners/logos/etc on sites but no one talks abouts about IE-only sites... now THOSE are really anoying...

BTW, IE really sucks in some ways because it's the only browser that CSS coders need to use hacks to get things to function properly...

As a sidenote, i do prefer FF over IE, but i always try to code for cross-browser compatibility.

Edited by HumbuckeR, 26 December 2005 - 12:26 PM.

#35 Nike

Nike

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Controlling the human and and duck race.

Posted 24 December 2005 - 09:46 PM

Actually. I would like to see where you got your stats 70% of the world is using IE. It is actually around 50%. IE would be a great browser but it has all that nonsense in it that I despise. My site works great in IE and FF. But I recommend FF because IE doesn't support transparency. And I get so many ridiculous popups with IE even with a popup blocker. But I am definatly a Firefox fan.

#36 extermin8tor

extermin8tor

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 02:27 AM

Yeh, I totally agree. I spent like 3 hours coding my site with CSS, and xhtml. And everything was working cool and fine in internet explorer. Then I opened it up with firefox and everything was screwed. All The text was everywhere, and the text had rolover effects. However the html and css were FULLY validating with www.w3.org. And nearly all the sites that use javascript or DHTML dont even load in firefox. They can support firefox and mozilla but making pages that dont load for IE is just g**.

Yeh, I totally agree. I spent like 3 hours coding my site with CSS, and xhtml. And everything was working cool and fine in internet explorer. Then I opened it up with firefox and everything was screwed. All The text was everywhere, and the text had rolover effects. However the html and css were FULLY validating with www.w3.org. And nearly all the sites that use javascript or DHTML dont even load in firefox. They can support firefox and mozilla but making pages that dont load for IE is just #^$*@^#$&*@#%. Internet Explorer has been king for like 10 years, or even more, and it loads instantly on a good computer. However firefox takes like 5-10 seconds to load on a pentium 4.

yeh, i personally think firefox and mozilla suck, but use what you want to use

#37 blainex

blainex

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Advance-Gamers,P2L,Gaming,Girls the whole lot

Posted 25 December 2005 - 12:03 PM

It sems you guys got me wrong when i said "serious webmasters" when i say serious i mean people who are serious about what there doing.Ok for example i'm sure youd never go on a website like for example this website and find a "too cool for IE" image.What i'm basically saying si that they do this for the fun of it,the place where youll find these images the most are on blogs(and blogs are used mostly for personal use for writing journal enteries etc) if i may say so a website that needs visits would never have that "too cool for IE" crap because that would enrage many visitors who are IE Fanatics (and IE si still the most used browser so you know that's alot of visitors that's being lost and we all know that each visitor is precious. And everybody has there like some will say IE is better and some will say Mozzilla is the best.

So let's just brake it down if you check some website's stats youll see the most accesed browser as IE and others as Firefix because on my website 64.61% of the users visit my website With IE and on my friends website firefox is the most acessed. I think my point is clear now .
Thanks!!!!:lol:

#38 Nike

Nike

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Controlling the human and and duck race.

Posted 25 December 2005 - 01:17 PM

Yes. Mainly because most people in the world don't know alot about computers. Most business run with IE still. And most homes runs with IE. Just because it is used more doesn't mean it's the best. But It's not the worst ethier.

#39 blainex

blainex

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Advance-Gamers,P2L,Gaming,Girls the whole lot

Posted 25 December 2005 - 01:30 PM

Exactly my point

#40 coolaid

coolaid

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • Interests:i wonder..

Posted 25 December 2005 - 08:06 PM

all i have to add to this 'discussion' is picking a browser over another just because of 'opacity support' is kinda.... dumb.

alpha transparency isn't amazing and is more of a thing for beginners to gawk at but isn't really amazing..... like graffiti fonts....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users