#1 NuclearHermit

NuclearHermit

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:59 AM

Hello,

I am looking to add the sticker from a bottle, to a bottle that i have modelled in 3DS Max. I have photoshop but i don't know what file format i need to save the image as so i can load them up in 3DS Max. I need to know how to import images into 3DS Max and then apply them upon a model. Can anybody possibly help me. The picture of the sticker will be coming from a real bottle.

Thank You

Nuclear Hermit

#2 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:04 PM

oh wow this could be tricky too explain dude. gimme a couple of days and i will pm you a tutorial link, thanks for the idea :)

#3 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:31 AM

Actually id say that this depends on this situation:
what exacly do you already have: the bottle modeled, and the label scanned in Photoshop, not deformed or anything from scanning the bottle --> right? Then its not that difficult i think UV map (cilindrical off course in the options) and just choose bitmap for material and get your scan (.jpg .png .bmp ... not sure its been a while, but i think everything is ok)

This is the easiest way, but i would definitly advise you to remove the sticker and then scan it, every deformation will ruin everything !!

If its something else you mean, i guess stu is right ! It will be tricky.

K,
a relative simple way to add a decal bitmap (cos thats what i think you want) on top of another map (the material of the bottle) is to make sure that the decal image has an alpha (masking) channel and then use it in a Mix map in a standard material Diffuse Color slot.

Lets see if i can make a little example... (brb)

k, i am back --> i made a little tutorial on decals, hope this helps:

-- Tutorial in pdf --

Final result:

Posted Image

Edited by Scythar, 24 January 2006 - 01:15 PM.

#4 NuclearHermit

NuclearHermit

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:04 PM

I'm sorry mate but i am having trouble with following your tutorial, i can't find the MAPS rollout anywhere, could we possibly talk on msn.

My msn is; [email protected]

Sorry for the bother but i am new to 3DS Max and i haven't touched on rendering yet.
Thank You anyway

NuclearHermit

#5 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 02:16 AM

Sry,
dont have msn (as a teacher i am allergic to it ^_^ )

Anyway:
in material editor you see erm.. think 12 spheres. Under it you see bars with a + sign in front : those are called roll out buttons --> go to the one witch says "maps"

The problem isnt the tutorial itself, its more like you have to learn the right "syntax", like with everything on a PC (worst of all of them is l33t and msn language, damn i'm drifting again).

So, if you have problem with words like "viewport" , "color Map Button" , "Roll out button" , "material slot" , ... to name a few just tell me and ill try to make a tut, short version, or better yet, buy a book for beginners (you know the series: "... for dummies", or ... in 24 hours etc.). They wont teach you a lot, but at least you get used to the syntax, so you can make all the tutorials on this site (and off course there the best around :P )

Edited by Scythar, 25 January 2006 - 02:24 AM.

#6 NuclearHermit

NuclearHermit

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:09 AM

I have taken your points into consideration and i have just yesterday ordered a book from dicreet themselves so i hope that will show me the basics and every to do with 3D Studio Max. Thanks for your help, i can import images now.

I've noticed that when i applied the image onto the model it pasted it on in any rotation, so if i was to be specific:

How can i have more control of where abouts on the model the image is put, say if i wanted the label in a certain area on the model, and how can i rotate it so it is the correct way up?

Thanks
NuclearHermit

#7 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:51 PM

if you apply a UVW Map in the Modifier dropdown menu, and then expand it, and clikc on Gizmo (you must be selected on the 'move' button at the very top too), you can then move it up and down and left and right etc...

#8 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 03:17 AM

And if you did it my way with the mix, you can still have a little freedom (very little though):

1. to make it smaller (my decal was 4 timesbigger in origin) --> just beneath the material slots you'll see somewhere "tiling", well a trick is to enter a number in the repeat area (with me i changed horizontal and vertical tiling in 2), but uncheck the tile button --> the effect is that the decal will be smaller but wont repeat.

2. change the U (horizontal) and V (vertical) values next to the tile option to move the decal around (but plz start very little: 0.1 is often enough)

3. I'm not sure but there also should be a rotation option at the same location, but since i'm not at home but at school i cant check that right now.

Off course if you do what Stu says it will be all much easier :P .

#9 NuclearHermit

NuclearHermit

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 07:31 AM

Thanks for your help Stu and Sythar, i'll give it a try. I think that i will refer back to this once i have had a read of my book, which should come sometime next week, just to familiarise my self with the syntax, as you said Sythar.

Thanks
NuclearHermit

Edited by NuclearHermit, 28 January 2006 - 07:34 AM.

#10 NetSkay

NetSkay

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Animation, 3D modeling / efects, Concept Art, Fantasy Art

Posted 18 February 2006 - 02:23 PM

god people just give the kid a direction lol

dude what u have to do is to UV unwrap ur model aka the bottle, from there u will have to render that UV unwrap and save it as jpg or any image format, then u open this unwrap in photoshop and draw ur sticker, from there u save this file and add another modifier called UV map, from there u choose ur stamp u have unwraped and it should fit it perfectly.

PS: umm when u unwrap ur bottle, this will unwrap teh whole bottle so u will have put ur sticker only on the desired area where u want it to be on the model

umm since i havent done many unwrapping i might not be accurate so what u want to do is go to the tutorials on pixel2life.com and click on 3dsm and search from UVW unwrap

#11 shwhjw

shwhjw

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 05:31 AM

save image as a jpeg or bmp, go into material editor in 3ds max, click on a new material and click the box next to diffuse colour, select bitmap and browse for the image and apply it 2 the object

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users