18 replies to this topic

#1 Clandestine

Clandestine

* Forum Police *

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:58 AM

alright right now i have a pc, and i was thinking. People say that macs are 'made' for visually art and multimedia and what not.. So what extactly does the mac do that the pc does not. Like in photoshop or dreamweaver, or any other program that mac and pc can use. What features does it have that are different..

I was thinking of later on getting a mac just becuase i like they look sleak and clean to me, the OS is also verry nice IMO. So i was thinking of having a mac for Design stuff, and PC for my games. Maybe a laptop Mac?

im not to sure. But can anyone inform me on more information about macs

thank you :D

-Devyn

#2 _*spoiled-dezigner_*

_*spoiled-dezigner_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:41 AM

i think mac has a high resolution rather than pc in terms of graphics,
sometimes pc hang up if it is handle by a huge graphics but mac dont,
mac created for more complicated graphic desigining and multimedia performance..
that im only thinking..........

#3 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Music: HIM, HIM, HIM, Cafe del Mar, Linkin Park, Fort Minor, Coldplay, Eric Jordan<br />Sports: Snowboarding, KiteSurfing, Extreme Sports<br />Computer: Flash, After Effects, Actionscript

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:48 AM

I've went to the multimedia school for a couple of years (3 years) and they were using only mac's they just had some pc's for video editing.
This is a very "religious" question. :D

My personal point of view:
- Macs are great for sound editing, and graphics, but you can also do the same stuff with a "better" PC.
- When it comes to 3D and videoediting I prefer a PC (dual or quad)
- I don't see a huge difference between MAC and PC for the "normal" usage

What I've noticed a lot in switzerland (where I live) is that most graphic design company and ad agencys are going away from mac's and switching to pc's. If it's a financial decision or not, I can't say.

I'm working in the video editing business and we just use High-powered PC's (Dell Workstations, dedicated AVID stations, SGI and so on)

#4 _*JustBlaze_*

_*JustBlaze_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:58 AM

Macs have had dual processor available configurations on their machines for awhile now, which is very helpful for video editing, rendering in 3D apps, etc. Now that dual-cores are becoming popular I suppose they've lost that advantage, although as far as I know neither AMD nor Intel offer quad processor systems yet so they still have the lead there.

The operating system is more stable and less frequently the target of security threats, so you have less to worry about there.

I use my PC for my graphics stuff, but it's just as good on the Mac too. I prefer the Mac for web browsing, spyware is virtually non-existent which is very nice.

Edited by JustBlaze, 02 February 2006 - 10:59 AM.

#5 Silwolffe

Silwolffe

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:49 AM

Funky Soul and Just Blaze have said good points.

In my opinion, I would just stick with a PC since you already have one. The programs you're going to use are the same, they don't differentiate for systems because that would certainly affect their market share.

I most certainly wont purchase a Mac any time soon. I'm staying with my Windows PC.

#6 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Music: HIM, HIM, HIM, Cafe del Mar, Linkin Park, Fort Minor, Coldplay, Eric Jordan<br />Sports: Snowboarding, KiteSurfing, Extreme Sports<br />Computer: Flash, After Effects, Actionscript

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:03 PM

Quads are available since over 5 years.. SGI is using their own processors right, but Intel also has quads on high-end machines :D

#7 _*JustBlaze_*

_*JustBlaze_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:07 PM

Well yeah, I could get a 4 socket 939 mobo and have 8 processors theoretically (though not supported) but I'm talking about prebuilt home computers, not Opetrons and Xeons. I'm pretty sure that quad Pentium 4s and Athlons haven't been available for 5 years.

#8 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:47 PM

article from '99

840 chipset, also known as Carmel was released on October 25th. This chipset is essentially an i820 for servers, and is intended to replace chipsets such as the 440GX. Like the i820, the i840 will have support for AGP 4X with AGP Pro 50, for high power consumption AGP cards, ATA-66, 64bit PCI (66Mhz), a 133Mhz Front side bus, and support for PC100 SDRAM along with PC600 and PC800 RDRAM (not PC700). In addition the i840 will contain Quad processor support, 64bit PCI, 8Gb memory support and Dual RDRAM (doubling bandwidth) and MRH-S (4 way Interleaving of SDRAM) support to increase memory bandwidth. See the Tips page for a comparison of Intel's chipsets. It should be noted that SDRAM support has since been dropped for the i840 due to problems with the MRH-S.

found on: http://www.mikeshard...RoadmapQ499.htm

#9 _*JustBlaze_*

_*JustBlaze_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:56 PM

Yes, that's a server though. I said I was talking about home computers.

#10 austen

austen

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Web design, snowboarding (lots of it), Computer science related.

Posted 02 February 2006 - 04:21 PM

Go mac, you'll LOVE OS X... it just rocks. I would definately say if you had the choice, get a mac.

#11 Chaos King

Chaos King

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:01 PM

There is no better of the two. They both have their pros and cons. Saying one is better than the other is being "computerist" and is totally an opinion. So here is mine...

PC - Gaming all the way. Mac got nothing on this!

Mac - Basicly for everything...

Even though most people use PC, I would definatly use a mac. If windows had mac's look, then they could talk, but window's interface is nothing compared to what the apple has got. ^_^ Wanna which OS macromedia and adobe makes programs first for? MAC! Thats right, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash and everything else was originally designed for mac, but eventually went over to the PC... :blush: So thats my little tangent, even though I own a PC...but I still say that macs are pretty darn good.

P.S. Macs now use Intel? how wierd is that? :unsure:

#12 _*JustBlaze_*

_*JustBlaze_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:40 PM

PC - Gaming all the way. Mac got nothing on this!

Mac - Basicly for everything...

That's what I always say.

#13 Clandestine

Clandestine

* Forum Police *

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:24 AM

iMac or the notebooks they have?

-Devyn

#14 zhanster

zhanster

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:22 PM

Mac are more stable and have almost no viruses, but have less programs and less compatibility. But due to it's powerful neture, it is the best for photo editing and basically editing of any sort. Mac software and hardware are extensively interwined, so say bye bye to system crashed and incompatibility problems.

#15 xXH4RDC0R3Xx

xXH4RDC0R3Xx

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Websites, Graphics , 3D Animation , Flash , Dreamweaver , Photoshop , VB6 , HTML , CSS.

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:56 AM

Well macs are good for graphics, editing ect but not very good for games pc's are good for gamming and i would get a desktop not a laptop. Macs also have little viruses and sypware ect.

Edited by xXH4RDC0R3Xx, 06 February 2006 - 11:56 AM.

#16 austen

austen

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 03:00 PM

I would suggest getting either an imac or a macbookpro depending on your needs... Basically, if you absolutely NEED something to be mobile, get a notebook, and if you can stand a desktop get an imac.... though I would actually suggest a macbookpro... they just rock :D

#17 Dh.

Dh.

CSS Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:41 AM

I think your right in getting a mac for design and pc for games. Personally I don't know of any differences in Photoshop mac or Pc.

#18 austen

austen

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:07 AM

Oh, and on another note... macs DO play games, and any game worth playing should be supported on mac, such as: World of Warcraft (I play it ALL the time on my powerbook), Doom 3, UT2004, etc... If you're an absolute gaming freak, windows would excel I'd have to say, but only if you get a really good windows comp.

-Austen :D

#19 codie

codie

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Interests:Snow boarding, graphic design, computer games, GIRLS, going to movies, mountain biking, music, playing guitar, eating, traveling around the world and taking phtographs, thats all i can think of for now.

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:48 AM

ok well i will say it ppl tht say go with mac defitly like me or austen would be, in the compuer world, considerd computer houlogins (like the english soccer houlogins) and as much as we say join mac its way better and PCS SUC im begining to see tht this statement is actually turning out to be qyt true (now im talking for consumer level products here not all products) for desktop, tho u may pay more for a mac, they are basically good for anything, pcs are good for gaming really, but as austen says (and i say all the time) if it aint on a mac it aint worthy enough, + its got lots of other consumer goodies raped into the smallest bundle ever, u may not ever use the webcam or built in mic but its nice to kno tht its there. if u buy a pc for designing i bet it will freeze and take down ur comp loesing ur fabulouse design tht could of been the next coke logo.

macs are way more stable, u still have the best games out for a mac, get a imac g5 20" (not intel yet unless u wnt to wait for a year or so) they are really the ultimate computer and are slowly making window i cud keep going on but i gotta go to bed so i can get up for skool 2mrrw so srry if there r a few missing gaps as i have rushed this really fast

cya :blink: GO MAC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users