#1 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 10 February 2006 - 08:35 PM

Hi everyone, dEcade and I are working on a new forum system that will be distributed for free. Anyway we have just started to code it and we wanted to go ask people what they would like to see in a forum! Here is a list of the stuff that we have already: CLICK HERE to view.

Why are we doing this?
The reason is simple, we want to get a popular forum system with features people would like and can get for free!

So please post on what you would like to see in a forum, your suggestions will be appreciated. :D

Hoot

Edited by Hoot, 26 February 2006 - 08:16 PM.

#2 _*Speed_*

_*Speed_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 09:27 PM

Make it secure. Have sub forums. Make the admin panel use .htaccess requiring double verification before entering. Make it come with a portal. And it would be cool to enable only admins to post html.

It would be nice if the way the topics were designed could be unique. Change the entire structure, dont follow the IPB posting structure and the phpBB posting structure. Something unique, fast, popular, and secure will attract many people.

#3 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Programming, Storm Chasing, Games (Designing and playing), Hockey, Photography

Posted 11 February 2006 - 08:49 AM

Hi, so for the .htaccess you what basically that you have to login twice?

Also I was thinking about the posting layout that maybe we will have a few designs that you will be able to select including the main one that forums use such as IPB and phpBB.

Also the rest sounds good, we are for sure having sub forums in it. Security is one of my main issues because I really want these to be good so what I am planning on doing is getting a select few to look at the script before anyone can download it, to make sure that is as secure as could be. The portal may not be released in the first version because that is a lot more coding for me to do but I'll see.

Thanks for your input.

dEcade

#4 Av-

Av-

I Feel Left Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:51 AM

BBcodes, attachments, MODrewrite for SE friendly URL's, post flooding security, a spellingchecker maybe?(take a look at http://www.spellingcow.com), xhtml coded, just some thing from the top of my head.

#5 raenef

raenef

Code Enforcer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Interests:Web Development and Graphic Design

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:39 AM

Valid XHTML code (at least transitional). It may not be a forum feature but its important to hard-core code nerds like me. :blush:

Edit: Also as a afterthought, editable/customizable user-profiles?

Edited by raenef, 21 February 2006 - 10:46 AM.

#6 Indigo

Indigo

Official Alien

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:Computing in general, especially design and programming of all kinds.

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:08 AM

URL's with the option to select if you want the link to open in a new window or not, sencore certain words (and the opportunity for an admin to add/remove such words), IP ban and automaticly IP/User ban if they flood, both images and other file attachements, those who are not registered should not be able to post, different ranks and a way to change name of the ranks (ex. Admin, owner, moderator, user, active member, etc), avatars and signatures (both with restrictions so you don't get to big images or annoying .gif's), the possibillity to put a comment where your username display (like on DA), show if a user is online or offline, advanced profiles (birthdate, nick, sex, real name, website, avatar, signature, a real picture of yourself, interests, maritial status, favourite books/films, etc.), forum search, check latest 5/10/20 posts, list of 5/10/20 most active members, PM's, list of friends (if a person knows another person in the forum, he can add them on his friend-list), the opportunity to implement google-ads every 5th post or something, coloured Code (when you select Code-function in BB-codes, code such as PHP should be colourized), when you add pictures to your post they should be resized to 100x100px and you can only se full view by clicking it, restrictions on how many smileys you can use in a post, aaand... No, now I can't think of anything else.

Yeah, that's a lot! But it would truely be really cool to see such functions in a forum!
I might update later too, I have many things I'd like to see in forums.

#7 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:49 PM

thanks for you input! We will try and work all of your features into WingBB

Hoot

#8 austen

austen

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Web design, snowboarding (lots of it), Computer science related.

Posted 22 February 2006 - 04:44 PM

DEFINATELY agree with avalanche's suggestion of using some nifty mod_rewrite for SEO'd URLs. If you need help on how to do this, PM me, I just went through it and now have a very solid solution.

#9 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 03:26 PM

I will get dEcade to check that out, hes the php coder, I code and create the graphics and template (I will code a bit but hes more advanced then me lol) Just so everyone knows we would like to have version 1.0 beta released by summer. No promises though :D

Edit:
dEcade has added more features to the list, and I wanted everyone to know that since we are using CSS to controll all of the DIV's it will be easy to edit and we will have a CSS editor built in but you could also do it manualy.

Hoot

Edited by Hoot, 23 February 2006 - 03:36 PM.

#10 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Programming, Storm Chasing, Games (Designing and playing), Hockey, Photography

Posted 26 April 2006 - 09:56 PM

Sorry about brining this post back from the 3 page. I just wanted to show you guys som screen shots of how the forums are looking so far...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

dEcade

#11 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:15 AM

Some features I would like to see.
Built in Cash system(like point system cash thingy) optional to have of course.
Postcount not increase
No post count
Friends list in user CPanel
As many sub forums as u want. sub of sub of sub forum for example.
DOUBLE POST PREVENTION! lol, if user posts twice auto merge them.
sig auto resize if to maximim size if bigger
do not allow avatar on or sig if bigger than file limit, even if link to offsite.
Easy skinning system
expandable topics like invision.
Being able to Ban IP OR MAC ADDRESS...I hate spammers that keep coming back because they are dialup o.o;
For those that use Portals, have an already built in option for a portal..

I think thats it :)

#12 DanWilliamson

DanWilliamson

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:48 PM

Some features I would like to see.
Built in Cash system(like point system cash thingy) optional to have of course.
Postcount not increase
No post count
Friends list in user CPanel
As many sub forums as u want. sub of sub of sub forum for example.
DOUBLE POST PREVENTION! lol, if user posts twice auto merge them.
sig auto resize if to maximim size if bigger
do not allow avatar on or sig if bigger than file limit, even if link to offsite.
Easy skinning system
expandable topics like invision.
Being able to Ban IP OR MAC ADDRESS...I hate spammers that keep coming back because they are dialup o.o;
For those that use Portals, have an already built in option for a portal..

I think thats it :P

I am glad you said optional as the Point System annoys me =]

#13 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:48 PM

I will take this into consideration, I have to look at all of them a bit closer because I have to go, I will tell you guys if there are any new features.

dEcade

#14 DanWilliamson

DanWilliamson

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:11 AM

I will take this into consideration, I have to look at all of them a bit closer because I have to go, I will tell you guys if there are any new features.

dEcade

Looking forward to it =]

#15 Aussiestinger

Aussiestinger

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 08:45 AM

I think something like reordering positions of posts, so say you merge a topic and then it has double posts and not in the order you want you could reorder the posts, or say someone double posts then someone else posts you could move the post down, just something small that could make it better imo.

#16 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 03:09 PM

Postcount not increase

What do you mean by this, could you explain a little more.

dEcade

#17 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 04:13 PM

Postcount not increase

dEcade

pretty sure he means the ability to attatch a 'do not increase post count' option to any forum, so if people post in a forum with this option on, their post count will not increase

#18 c-c-C-C-UNIT

c-c-C-C-UNIT

Pizza Hut Boy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 240 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 08:29 PM

EXTENSIONS! Let users write create their own extensions without having to mess with the main source code and make it impossible for them to upadte.

Make sure it doesn't turn into a another phpBB, VB, IPB clone. Try to only include features that you think people will need, and let the users write extensions that create the features they need.

#19 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:32 AM

Postcount not increase

dEcade

pretty sure he means the ability to attatch a 'do not increase post count' option to any forum, so if people post in a forum with this option on, their post count will not increase

ahh I see now.

EXTENSIONS! Let users write create their own extensions without having to mess with the main source code and make it impossible for them to upadte.

Make sure it doesn't turn into a another phpBB, VB, IPB clone. Try to only include features that you think people will need, and let the users write extensions that create the features they need.

So basically you mean mods. I guess you will have to judge if it a mass of main source code. I tried to do everything mostly in functions. So like functions.php would have basic ones, functions_sql.php would have your sql, functions_display.php would be the ones that are going to display something. Etc.

Now I am not sure of this but once it is finished I might get someone that knows php fairly well and then they could write modes, I will as well.

Also I am going to look over those ideas and add the ones I like right now.

dEcade

#20 Indigo

Indigo

Official Alien

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:Computing in general, especially design and programming of all kinds.

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:13 AM

- The ability not to have sigs at all, that no users can have images in signatures.
- A "Fast Reply"-function like in these forums.
- A "Admin comment"-function, so the admin can add a comment to a post in stead of editing.
- Auto-reply in certain forums, like if somebody posts in the forum "Introduce yourself", a bot can insert a message containing "Please read our rules, enjoy your stay, blablabla".
- A function that disables certain bb-functions in some subforums, like if you don't want images in a forum, but instead a link to the picture.
- If somebody breaks a rule, like typing a dirty word or something, send a PM to the user either with a warning or just to inform them. There should also be a counter - if the user breaks rules a lot of times, both their username and IP should be blocked from the forums.
- Locked forums, only available to users, moderators, admins, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users