64 replies to this topic

#1 lisa

lisa

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 08:07 PM

byrce or maya light wave or sd's max adobe dimension? Which is better for 3D abstract sigs?

#2 Korpus

Korpus

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 November 2004 - 09:31 PM

I've worked with Maya, Lightwave, 3ds max, and C4d. I have to say, If you trying to pick a best program, your in a sinch. All of the programs you mentioned have lots of good strenths. C4D, Which I prefer is really easy. And, the depth is unmatched. #ds max is really good for doinbg materials and complecated renders, while its complicated and hard to work with. Maya, just suck.

I recomend for beginers: C4D.

Toasty.

#3 theguid

theguid

chewy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 01:40 AM

Maya, just suck.

Umm, no, no, and no. Maya, suck? No. You couldnt be any more wrong if you said a ferarri was a glorified soap box car. Maya is the top of the line doesnt get any better than this program. That's not opinion, that is fact. Don't get into blasphemy, it doesnt look good on you....

#4 Atomica

Atomica

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Music-Art

Posted 23 November 2004 - 03:16 PM

theguid has a point here .

Also, Lisa it depends on how complex you want your creations to get. C4d is the easiest 3d program in the world however it doesnt have the best outcomes.I would have to say that C4d would be most useful for creating abstract sigs, because it is very simple to learn and you can have it done(sigs) quickly.

#5 na_sch007

na_sch007

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:I dunno, too many to list I suppose, check my devart page if you care... [URL="http://na-sch007.deviantart.com"]clickity click[/URL]

Posted 14 December 2004 - 06:46 PM

and where exactly would one procure this cinema 4d that you speak of?

#6 Jeniva

Jeniva

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 12:45 PM

www.maxon.net Go to Downloads, and check out the Demo.

#7 na_sch007

na_sch007

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:I dunno, too many to list I suppose, check my devart page if you care... [URL="http://na-sch007.deviantart.com"]clickity click[/URL]

Posted 24 December 2004 - 01:32 AM

www.maxon.net Go to Downloads, and check out the Demo.

sweet, thanks. i'll check that out.

#8 PizdusInc

PizdusInc

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:11 AM

Well, Maya seems to be the #1, but what do you all think about LightWave? That seems to be one that was omitted here...?

Marc

#9 jmayo

jmayo

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 01:21 PM

this is gonna be a LOOOOONG arguement.
I use 3dsMax, easiest thing in the world. Maya on the other hand is a real pain in the......well you know where.
never tried c4d

#10 skakid

skakid

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 04:27 PM

I think I can put an end to this thread... maya is the best for movies... anything else should be done in 3DS Max

#11 CoryMathews

CoryMathews

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:36 PM

edited this post i was wrong.

#12 Yertsivad

Yertsivad

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 12:28 PM

Which is the best for logo design or printed media?

#13 thearp

thearp

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 03:14 PM

I think cinema 4d is the easy to use. Im not saying it's the best but the beginner to the intermidate 3d artist would not push it's limits very easy. Maya , 3dsmax and lightwave are probably better at doing liquids and hair but that stuff is crazy hard. So I think they are all top notch programs just grap a demo of the ones you can and see which one feels comfortable.

If a program is the best but you can't figure it out then it's not the best use whats the most comfortable and you will get better results(not always) I think that if it's overly complicated then it can kill your interest and creativity mainly if your a begginer. As for doing logo stuff I've done things with cinema 4d and photoshop really easy with good results but I think all of them will do the same thing you want in that area.

I'd also have to say that none are as good at character animation as motion builder, but you can use motion builder with all of these programs through the fbx format. Im not an expert but i hope that helps

PS. 3dsmax lets you use the motion builder technology inside of 3dsmax rather than going through two programs but it does'nt come with it you have to buy the plugin.(please correct me if im wrong)

#14 Yertsivad

Yertsivad

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 07:25 PM

Oh, and to Cory Mathews, do you have a friend named Shawn Hunter and a girlfriend named Tapanga?

#15 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 07:36 PM

Which is the best for logo design or printed media?

Adobe Illustrator is best for high quality print work, but it's 2d and will set you back a hefty bundly of cash.

#16 Yertsivad

Yertsivad

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 07:54 PM

I recently attained Adobe Illustrator (ignore the avoidance of the word 'bought') and am learning to convert what I know from CorelDRAW. I want a 3D modeler to do 3D effects on logos, such as on the news, and to do a bit of animation as well.

I am familiar with OpenFX, which is a very simple (as compared to Maya or the like) 3D modeler free on the web. I would like to do some short films in the future, so I need something I can grow into.

Any recomendations?

#17 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 08:10 PM

I recently attained Adobe Illustrator (ignore the avoidance of the word 'bought')

I hope you aren't inferring anything illegal, since that's not allowed <_<

I have no idea about film, what do the big boys use for cartoons?

#18 CoryMathews

CoryMathews

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 11:04 PM

EDITED: college teacher was wrong ignore this post.

#19 Yertsivad

Yertsivad

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:07 PM

Which program has the best online support (i.e. tutorials/people willing to help)?

#20 SHIVMOO

SHIVMOO

Honoured X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 05:39 PM

they all have decent support.. you just have to look for them..
talking about the best 1...
i use cinema 4d, it is not true that it is not able to do the more detailed thing, it runs quicker than ever even with my chunky zbrush models (20,000 poly+)
to get help for pretty much any of them check ot www.cgtalk.com

and it matters on what you like.
a talented cg artist could by an of the shelf 3d program for 120 and a begginer could by something like maya the talented guys stuff will still be far, far, far better than the begginer..
there is not enough difference between them to make direct "this is better" arguments.. the only one i use that is so different is zbrush. which is unbeatable for organic structures.

it really depends on which you get comfortable with... ime currently trying to learn one called modo, simply because it has something different with it..
what i use is vue5, cinema 4d and zbrush.. they suit me fine..

just pick 1
learn it....
and then your set.
it doesnt matter which is picked unless you want to do organics (humans, creatures) when the only really good choice is zbrush :D
hope my mumbling made sense

shiv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users