19 replies to this topic

#1 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:03 PM

I'm needing actually in urgent need of a laptop and need some advice from those already using one what do you think on these:

If you go to:

http://www.futureshop.ca/marketing/weekly_flyer/en/default.asp?logon=&langid=EN&MSCSProfile=3C79F0C7EA3162B25DCF0857B6387C8E991155CCC77C4740DA54F7C60D7759D4E1D4
8172F9EA4DBFE0D07B8E624025B4469BF53A7C01CEA819CB6A2C15F62A34F4EF234135B60307CC43
F4933971F96B0441D6A0421EB1C272FF5291E0F3678E560D0185BFC4322F1BEFC12B68C1481FEF16
3C4E5B3183BD

and type in V2k 2V6 and then hit submit it'll bring up a flyer go to pages 20 and 21

Anything you recommend from those? We don't have that much here in selection where I live so need some help please, as I don't know too much about laptops and what's great etc and I'll be buying instore from that place.

Any advice sincerely appreciated <_<

#2 Gary

Gary

Officially in the P2L Archives

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:48 PM

Hey. I currently own a laptop, a Toshiba Satellite 1800-712. For me, it runs great, however, the only thing I need to get is extra memory (which I should be getting within the next week).

Here are some of my specs:
  • Intel Celeron Processor
  • 1.10 GHz, 240 MB of RAM
  • 14.1" TFT colour display
  • CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive
  • Fast InfraRed, LAN, TV-out port
  • Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 2)
The laptop is also stylish and lightweight.

As for the ones that are advertised on the flyer; I am mainly attracted to the first page, mainly because they are Compaq and Hewlett-Packard. I have never really heard of Gateway to tell you the truth. I used to have an old Compaq computer, and it was still proven to be good in most ways.
My current laptop also proves to be great, and everything works. The only thing I need to get, as mentioned, is RAM.

Most new laptops have a lot of features, but they can be costly. My opinion is to ensure that you make a list of the things that you want in a laptop, both hardware and software, and then go shopping. You should also see the deals that they offer along with it. Make sure you don't buy the laptop without anything, such as Windows XP Home Edition/Professional, etc, as it will be MUCH more costly for you in the future.

All in all, those laptops on page 20 of the flyer attract me more. If I had some background information on Gateway laptops then I might change my mind.

Is Future Shop the only place you are willing to purchase a laptop online?

#3 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:02 PM

Pixellate thankyou, am not buying online, buying instore here where I live. I know I could easily pick up ones cheaper online but don't feel comfortable doing an online transaction that large.

All I need this for is an online connection really next month so doesn't need to be spectacular and will probably be resold not long after.

Was just looking at the IBooks <_< wow tiny 12inch screens lol

Buying one before the 27th of this month and just really wanting to get feedback from members using and what they suggest as everytime I've been into future shop the customer service is not the greatest I end up doing my own selling.

I like the Toshiba's as well but those screens are so tiny.

#4 Gary

Gary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:30 PM

Good that you're taking precautions. Not saying that Future Shop isn't trustworthy, but their are MANY online scams...

Lol, 12" screens... Mine is 14.1" and I still find it a bit small... Good enough though and suits my needs.

As I said before in my first post; what you really need to do is make a list of all the features that you're looking for BEFORE browsing. Things could include if you want a DVD/CD ROM drive, particular software, etc. You say that you want to use it mainly for the fact of having an online connection and that you might sell it not long after. If that's the case, get a CHEAP one that suits your needs.
Personally, I'd get a laptop that suits my needs, plus more. Cause you might end up keeping it and using it as your everyday computer...

#5 Jacorre

Jacorre

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Technology, Internet, Graphic/Web Design, Music, Soccer

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:10 PM

I use an Alienware laptop and it's great. They can get pretty expensive though depending on how much you add to them. I was afraid to buy online as well but I'm glad I did it.

#6 Gary

Gary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:51 PM

I LOVE the way Alienware products look, and they have proven to be a great company. I wish I had enough to get one, but I've already got this Toshiba laptop and it would be pointless to have this one lying around doing nothing but gathering dust while I use the Alienware laptop.

And you were lucky in your case Jacorre. It just depends where you buy the products from and whether you trust them or not...

#7 AdmiralDog

AdmiralDog

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:16 AM

I'm running a Toshiba A-70. I love it and its been great. This is what i basically have. (link). but mine has a 3.33 ghz processor, 1 gig of ram, 100 gig HD. I got it for a bargin too at CompUsa! Orinigal it was $1,500, but it was on sale for $1,250 and it came with McAfee, Epson C88 printer, Creative Webcam all for free. Only thing i regret with this laptop is the GFX Card. Wish it was more powerful. Or atleast i wish it wasn't Intergrated. Anyways, i'd vote for Toshiba :P

Edited by AdmiralDog, 23 April 2006 - 01:17 AM.

#8 makavelimx

makavelimx

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Events Manager of MD5Encryption.com

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:16 AM

That place doesn't have too much selection (their laptops are last generation, none of them are 64bit AND dual core, they are only one or the other), if you change your mind and decide to one online and...

If you have a very limited budget, then u dont have t consider this but if you budget is between $2000-$3500, make sure you get a AMD Athlon 64 X2 CPU (yes the do make it for laptops but they are a bit pricey and not slightly shorter batt life), it will outperform any of the last generation (before last year) desktops. It will do miracles for you when you want to scan virus and do 3D studio max, or rip/backup DVDs and do 3D studio max/photoshop. it wil do one thing on 1 core, and there's like no lag... one of my friends has an X2, its great.

but if you don't have an option, I'd recommend

HP AMD Turion 64 ML-32 1.8GHz Laptop (DV8210), if you want to plan ahead for Windows Vista 64bit

or

HP Intel Centrino Duo T2300 1.66GHz Laptop (DV1635) , if you want fast computing NOW

Edited by makavelimx, 23 April 2006 - 01:22 AM.

#9 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:18 AM

I use an Alienware laptop and it's great. They can get pretty expensive though depending on how much you add to them. I was afraid to buy online as well but I'm glad I did it.

lol thanks but they are too techy for me dunno why I think this but they look more a guy's laptop, it's not that I'm afraid to buy online as I do a lot of online transactions now just don't like transferring that amount from our CC and this is not my money I'm spending anyways.

Have decided to go with this one: http://www.futuresho..._Flyer_Tracking

#10 Gary

Gary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:27 AM

I like that computer AdmiralDog. If I had any of the specs that you got on your laptop, I'd be over my head... Until I get more memory, my laptop doesn't run efficiently with multiple windows open and programs running, for example, LimeWire, MSN Messenger, multiple Firefox browser windows open, playing music, etc...

Hopefully it will all be good once I upgrade my memory so yeah. :P

Great choice Donna. No idea why you think Alienware is more techy-looking or more for guys, but yeah. :(
Good luck with it all and hopefully it'll suits your needs, however long you choose to use it for...

Edited by Pixellate, 23 April 2006 - 01:29 AM.

#11 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:30 AM

AdmiralDog and makavelimx, apologies totally missed your replies we all posted around the same time.

AD yours is definately a powerful beast wow, anyways am going with http://www.futuresho..._Flyer_Tracking I can only get one from either of those 2 pages :P

Many thanks

#12 makavelimx

makavelimx

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Events Manager of MD5Encryption.com

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:37 AM

Good option,

AMD Turion shouldn't let you down, but just know that it uses more power than Centrinos so the battery life might be slightly shorter, so keep your eyes on the batt (don't recharge it half way, make sure it is almost out of power, then fully charge it, if you charge it a lot before the energy drains, it will cause the batt life go down due to the memories in batts)

Yup, enjoy your new laptop :P

Edited by makavelimx, 23 April 2006 - 01:38 AM.

#13 mystery-man

mystery-man

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:iPod nano + Photoshop CS2 + Moleskine Notebook + HB Pencil = waste of time xD

Posted 23 April 2006 - 04:05 AM

I have a HP pavilionzd 7000, pentium 3.4 HT, 100Gb, 1GB ram, 17" widescreen for a about year and a half and it's my desktop replecement, I does everything... it has very little battery life, less that 2 hours, but the native 1440*900px resolution gives me space for everything, and everything runs smothly

as i can see in the link, your are buy the upgraded version of my laptop XD, cool

#14 PSgirl

PSgirl

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:45 AM

Great choice Donna.
The only thing I'd expand is the RAM, to 1Gb maybe.

My laptop is Airis, Pentium 4 3.06 HT, 60gb HD, and 512 Ram.
The only problem I have with it is that when you're using it during a few hours, it gets very hot.

#15 Davey

Davey

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Interests:Creativity, Adrenaline, Etc

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:12 AM

got a compaq laptop - works great, was pretty expensive tho... 2.4ghz cpu and 1gb of ram with wireless etc

wot is ur price range?

#16 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 09:58 AM

I use my school's Dell Inspiron 1300 (with the 512mb upgrade) for website work , and it is very nice. As soon as I can afford one, that's probably the one I'm going with.

#17 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:29 AM

I should print this page and take with me on Tuesday lol and see if these sales guys say the same thing, trust me if you have ever dealt with Future Shop (especially the one in my area) your more aless on your own when buying as they don't explain a lot.

When I went in to by a Maxtor One Touch they had never heard of them, so I explained it was an external drive you plugin, one click of a button and it backs up your entire PC, their response was that sounds like a great idea :D they had no clue as to what they were nor had ever heard of them and they are supposed to be NO: 1 in Computer stuff here :( so I went over and got one at Cosco. Another time I wanted cleaning paper for my old printer I was told sorry we don't carry anything like that and after several minutes I found it myself lol so this is why I posted to ask members that actually use laptops now because I know the instore help will be none if not useless to me.

Thanks all

#18 Neodug

Neodug

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Webdesign, Video games, Cars, girls.

Posted 23 April 2006 - 01:52 PM

im running:
Compaq Presario R3000
Celeron: 2.8ghz
RAM: 704mb (Add 64mb if you want for the graphics card.)
ATI 9000IGP graphics card.

Its a widescreen aswell :D I guess its an ok little work horse. Its great for going away etc battery life about 2-3hours (and its a year old!! :().

#19 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:05 PM

I should print this page and take with me on Tuesday lol and see if these sales guys say the same thing, trust me if you have ever dealt with Future Shop (especially the one in my area) your more aless on your own when buying as they don't explain a lot.

When I bought my hard drive I got a guy who could barely manage to speak English. Then they told me (after I bought it mind you) "oh, the rebate isn't valid anymore, you don't get the $120 mail-in-rebate". Nice try. A quick converstation with the manager about how the sign was up advertising it and he had to honor it, my money was refunded. I saw them take the sign down as I was on my way out of the store :D.

Ah the joys of Futureshop...

#20 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 04:50 PM

I could well imagine Jaymz, they forgot the printer with this lol <_< not that we need anymore printers. What was supposed to be a 5-10min sale turned into almost an hour.

Anyways went with http://www.futuresho...S10073561= and a travel bag, wireless mouse and paid for 3yrs extended warranty.

I like it although it takes it's time trying to pick up my wireless connection it runs well, going to take awhile to get used to 1440x900 resolution. Pixel2Life looks so naked at that res :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users