Photo

Speak Now or Forever Hold Your... Mouse? Opinions and Suggestions Wanted!

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#21 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 12:54 PM

its really disappointing Dan that it has came to you and Jay being enemies when you two were like my goal friendship online, I always looked up to you and him, more so him because i was closer friends with him. I believe Jay has made some pretty good points, I do not deny you are a good guy and that you try hard on P2L and ill be damned to deny saying you dont listen to opinions but it does seem to me that P2L has and specially when i was staff, Been a bit chaotic with the moderation of users, the warnings, the bans, and the posts being edited/deleted/mysteriously gone.

I am not trying to take sides or go at you so please do not feel like i am your enemy. Its just sad seeing to great minds who once were working as one split.

You have no need to take sides bud and I agree, it's a shame that things had to go down the way they did... could have been handled completely differently, but that's the way things go. Time to move on, whether other people involved want to or not :) We have a huge site and community to keep running, so I don't really have time to get into pointless drama.

Large forums will always be a difficult thing to maintain and it's impossible to keep everyone happy and you'll always piss people off. People seem to lose sight of the fact that there are thousands of members here from all walks of life, not simply a couple dozen. Arguements are natural, but the "bravery behind the keyboard" syndrome turns them into flame wars every time and it's pointless.

I'll be having a meeting with the Donna and the moderators soon and we'll have a round table on how things are done etc, but it's tough to correct anything when no one complains aside from a lot of swearing and name calling with a vague reference to some post that can't be found (we don't delete the posts... they are moved to a junk bin). Give me real examples and I will investigate them... and believe me I do. Ask D.. I'm always snooping around, looking at stuff that got locked and asking why if I don't see why they were etc.

It's always in my best interest and the best interest of this site to try and make most of the community happy. I do this with experience, discussing it with staff, but most of all listening to you. But I can't take action or look into things if no one tells me until things come to a head, and rest assured I can be objective if your inquiry is worth reading. Cussing someone out is a waste of time and makes it rather hard to be objective when you're already going overboard. Hey, I get frustrated too, but nothing gets accomplished until you calm down and do the research and take the appropriate action... coming out with the guns blazing doesn't get us anywhere.

So, if you have a problem with the mods, tell me. I'm not going to ban you for it and I'll find out what's what... actually a great example of this in action just happened recently. I won't get into it, but I basically found out about a reason that topics were getting moved to junk and I didn't think it was necessary so I got together with D and took care of it.

Capish? :D

Dan

#22 DanWilliamson

DanWilliamson

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:02 PM

its really disappointing Dan that it has came to you and Jay being enemies when you two were like my goal friendship online, I always looked up to you and him, more so him because i was closer friends with him. I believe Jay has made some pretty good points, I do not deny you are a good guy and that you try hard on P2L and ill be damned to deny saying you dont listen to opinions but it does seem to me that P2L has and specially when i was staff, Been a bit chaotic with the moderation of users, the warnings, the bans, and the posts being edited/deleted/mysteriously gone.

I am not trying to take sides or go at you so please do not feel like i am your enemy. Its just sad seeing to great minds who once were working as one split.

You have no need to take sides bud and I agree, it's a shame that things had to go down the way they did... could have been handled completely differently, but that's the way things go. Time to move on, whether other people involved want to or not :) We have a huge site and community to keep running, so I don't really have time to get into pointless drama.

Large forums will always be a difficult thing to maintain and it's impossible to keep everyone happy and you'll always piss people off. People seem to lose sight of the fact that there are thousands of members here from all walks of life, not simply a couple dozen. Arguements are natural, but the "bravery behind the keyboard" syndrome turns them into flame wars every time and it's pointless.

I'll be having a meeting with the Donna and the moderators soon and we'll have a round table on how things are done etc, but it's tough to correct anything when no one complains aside from a lot of swearing and name calling with a vague reference to some post that can't be found (we don't delete the posts... they are moved to a junk bin). Give me real examples and I will investigate them... and believe me I do. Ask D.. I'm always snooping around, looking at stuff that got locked and asking why if I don't see why they were etc.

It's always in my best interest and the best interest of this site to try and make most of the community happy. I do this with experience, discussing it with staff, but most of all listening to you. But I can't take action or look into things if no one tells me until things come to a head, and rest assured I can be objective if your inquiry is worth reading. Cussing someone out is a waste of time and makes it rather hard to be objective when you're already going overboard. Hey, I get frustrated too, but nothing gets accomplished until you calm down and do the research and take the appropriate action... coming out with the guns blazing doesn't get us anywhere.

So, if you have a problem with the mods, tell me. I'm not going to ban you for it and I'll find out what's what... actually a great example of this in action just happened recently. I won't get into it, but I basically found out about a reason that topics were getting moved to junk and I didn't think it was necessary so I got together with D and took care of it.

Capish? :D

Dan

Well typed, I agree with that. I'm sure I used to be a lot of work for the moderators I wasn't as mature as I am now and I have great respect for the administrators and moderators and all of Pixel2Life and I hope to see it improve so much. The potential of this site is astranomical and hopefully will be acted upon like the suggestions given in this thread, Faken unlike many forum owners gives a chance for people to discuss and make some input on the actual thread instead of doing it through PM etc which is cool.

Hope all goes well man!

#23 Barkeeper

Barkeeper

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:06 PM

A suggestion for P2L: A sort of script / snippet library where you can post scripts or snippets ready for use with only minimal explanation.

Example: I want a PHP script that shows some information about the visitor and I just want the script so I search for it in the script-library.

I know there are probably tutorials for most things but I think a lot people just want a script without pasting snippets together from a tutorial.

#24 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:08 PM

A suggestion for P2L: A sort of script / snippet library where you can post scripts or snippets ready for use with only minimal explanation.

Example: I want a PHP script that shows some information about the visitor and I just want the script so I search for it in the script-library.

I know there are probably tutorials for most things but I think a lot people just want a script without pasting snippets together from a tutorial.

So you mean something along the lines of hotscripts.com? Maybe not quite so advanced?

Dan

#25 RedDragon

RedDragon

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:20 PM

I'm not that active on the P2Lforums, but as co-admin of 13dots, D points me to all the funny posts, and I come in and snoop around every now and then. The P2L community is pretty different from the 13dots one, if I might say so. It looks like one fun rollercoaster ride, with a bump every now and then. :D

I love the idea on the first page, saving your favorite tutorials to your profile. It would be very useful, and it would seperate P2L from the rest... even more. Great suggestion!

Next to that I think P2L should stick to its core activity, bringing tutorials to the people. Rating systems, SOTW, POTW, are all cool items, but I see these as complementary. Especially the rating system will be for community people only, and I think the power of P2L is that if someone needs a hint or a clue how to do an effect, or work out an idea he's been having, he just visits P2L and uses the search form to get what he needs, and exploit his/her talents even further.

Which brings me to a new suggestion: the search form

This form might be extended to an advanced search form, where you can select multiple categories, use boolean terms like AND, OR (or are they implemented already..? never tested it), or even fill in the post date of the tutorial!

The search form is the only thing that annoys me, as it rarely brings up the results I want to see the first time. Maybe it is therefore important for tutorial submitters to fill in keywords, that match the subject. That way not only the title is important.

Keep doing the things you do, I know the P2L team is working extremely hard to deliver all members a pleasant stay. Next to putting up suggestions, which is good, a thank you would be appropriate as well!

Thanks! :)

Edited by RedDragon, 23 May 2006 - 01:24 PM.

#26 velvis

velvis

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Photoshop and CSS

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:31 PM

i once remade P2L in pure css...im sure i have a copy laying around.

#27 JamesPickens

JamesPickens

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:35 PM

Nicely said i don't know its like i never saw this coming so i never thought what it would be like.

A good suggestion to P2L would be to cut back some the forums, theres too many and not all are used. things were much cleaner/smoother back when there were a few forums and P2L was on IPB 1.3.1 :D

#28 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:37 PM

Nothing is deleted from the forums as Dan states it's moved to a junk forum for review, either by myself or Dan and trust me Dan does check everything I do he asks me daily. If he forgets I point them out to him.

The only topics/replies that get deleted completely are from members themselves as you all have the option to delete your posts and those actions are all shown inside the ACP and easily checked by Dan to show you removed yourself.

Majority that does get removed is advertizing to join forums/tut sites, affiliate url's, off topic replies and trolling and just simply not following the pinned guidelines we have in each forum.

We can easily keep your topics/posts in the forum but you'll still find it edited out and locked as to why, Dan wrote the rules on Pixel2Life not any of the staff here we just enforce them the best we can, we do message you as to why unless your just too lazy to read we won't message you in the pinned topics.

========

And back on topic re: suggestions
after quickly speaking with Dan, I agree we go back to the old system and keep all posts in the forum good and bad and simply edit the topics/posts and lock them.

#29 Pepper

Pepper

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:44 PM

Ahh...good stuff here. For the person wayyyy back on the first page, that wanted to know if his tutorials were added. You can set up a email verification, where when you activate/delete the tutorial from the quene area, they creator will be emailed.

#30 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:54 PM

RedDragon - The search form supports full Boolean search terms :D An advanced search is something definitely worth looking into, thanks :)

Dan

#31 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:57 PM

lmao @ at the un-suttle hint.

Yeah, its going off topic but i was a bit *whaaaa??* when i read that from you Jay. But as ever i am ignorant as to the story from both parties which is why i shan't say anything :D

Not that i use it much but when i do, i would really like to see the sub categories be available without changing page by clicking the category (if thats even in english?!)

*smells ajax*, ok, not needed. But it would be handy to allow quicker access.

Edited by .Matt, 23 May 2006 - 01:58 PM.

#32 Adrian

Adrian

P2L Looser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:11 PM

I am rarely on the forums as I spend my time on school work and at 13dots so I can't comment on the forums and all this "over-moderating" that is supposedly happening but It would be nice to see a new version of P2L even if its only a facelift and no extra features are added!

I love the web 2.0 look, despite how much I dislike people who think having a valid site is the be-all and end-all of the world I won't deny that the look that comes with it (the "web 2.0" look) is extremely pleasing to the eye and If you can get it all validated then you would please even more people! although I, like many would be happy with a fresh design!

In terms of catagorys, I can't really think of any programs I use that don't have their own catagory on P2L, I guess it would be nice to have a catagory for all the tutorials that don't fit anywhere else.

Edited by Adrian, 23 May 2006 - 02:14 PM.

#33 Barkeeper

Barkeeper

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:32 PM

So you mean something along the lines of hotscripts.com? Maybe not quite so advanced?

Dan

Yeah, just index them like you do with tutorials so people can search in the library.

#34 AnDy89

AnDy89

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:04 PM

I don't submit tutorials anymore but I used to regularly. I'm quite sure it wouldn't be that hard to add an email field to submissions (can't remember, been about a year since I last submitted).

Then when a tutorial is accepted or denied an email can be sent. Maybe even have a list of reasons to be chosen from and then add that to the email.

#35 Adrian

Adrian

P2L Looser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:06 PM

Thats a great idea and automatic email notification would be good but reasons why is just plain crazy. I know myself that Donna and Dan read and accept / dont accept tonnes of tutorials each day and typing an email like that for everyone would be a huge time waster.

#36 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:15 PM

Thats why you have canned answears :D

(drop down box of reasons)

#37 Chaos King

Chaos King

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:46 PM

A working homepage is definately in need right now.

www.pixel2life.com

#38 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:57 PM

Strange, blank page....ha. :D

#39 Pepper

Pepper

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:42 PM

I don't submit tutorials anymore but I used to regularly. I'm quite sure it wouldn't be that hard to add an email field to submissions (can't remember, been about a year since I last submitted).

Then when a tutorial is accepted or denied an email can be sent. Maybe even have a list of reasons to be chosen from and then add that to the email.

he he ....look a couple post up :D just put that :P

#40 alexames

alexames

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Webdesign / Graphics / Cars

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:52 PM

Strange, blank page....ha. :D

Wierd, i noticed that too. My site has done that before aswell. I think it is when the server is put under too much load at once, and it needs a little bit of time to correct its self. Not sure though. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users