104 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Matt

Mr. Matt

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:50 AM

Right lets settle this one.

How can the Americans call it 'Football'. You only use your feet for running and hardly kick. But when you look at English football 99% of the time they use their feet.

And finally everyone knows that American Football is a whimps version of Rugby.

Oh and whoever called this summers Football World Cup the "Soccor SuperBowl" be ashamed of yourself.

Comments anyone :D

#2 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:54 AM

I love both, achually i love both + rugby. I normally play 2 out of 3 everyday :D

I got no issues on what people call it, half the time i find myself calling football soccer to avoid confusion :D

In summing: I dont care :D :D

Edited by .Matt, 30 May 2006 - 10:55 AM.

#3 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:59 AM

Right lets settle this one.

How can the Americans call it 'Football'. You only use your feet for running and hardly kick. But when you look at English football 99% of the time they use their feet.

And finally everyone knows that American Football is a whimps version of Rugby.

Oh and whoever called this summers Football World Cup the "Soccor SuperBowl" be ashamed of yourself.

Comments anyone :D

Sorry, you clearly don't play either sport... Rugby is definitely NOT any more intense than American football. I played Rugby for 4 years and Football for 8. You do not get nearly the amount of vicious hitting in Rugby as you do in football because you can't unless you want to paralyze yourself. Rugby has some great hitting, but it's definitely a stamina game similar to soccer. Football is concentrated bursts of power with huge hitting and very little constant running. The only hits I've had that were as severe as in football were usually collisions. In football, you hit so hard that you actually blank out for a second after the hit... everything kinda goes black for a sec.. the whole point it to put your head down and drive with your shoulders square. Do that in Rugby and you will simply break your neck.

I will say that Rugby requires more endurance, because it's nonstop running and your face and hands get pretty much mauled, but the hits are nothing like in football in terms of power.

European soccer is completely boring... all that time to see one or two goals... you spend hours watching a ball get kicked back and forth and then you wake up when the occasional goal happens. What a snorefest. Most sports are like that for me... I love to play them, but they suck to watch. Football is the only sport I can actually watch, but I guess it's because I'm so much into the strategy that's it fun to predict plays.

Dan

#4 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:05 AM

I'll admit football (soccer) can be a bit boring to watch, unless you got a vast supply of beer around you :D

There's one guy at school, he's like 6ft 5" and as wide as an elephant, try playing rugby against him, now thats pain!!!! But yeah i disagree with your point about football (american) being a soft version of rugby.

#5 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:09 AM

I'll admit football (soccer) can be a bit boring to watch, unless you got a vast supply of beer around you :D

There's one guy at school, he's like 6ft 5" and as wide as an elephant, try playing rugby against him, now thats pain!!!! But yeah i disagree with your point about football (american) being a soft version of rugby.

There's nothing quite so exhilarating as a line of 5 or 6 350lbs linebackers coiled like springs ready to come charging through your line looking to basically squash you lol! I've had quite a few dingers that's for sure lol!

Dan

#6 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:11 AM

you see, the thing with football (soccer) is it can be boring, but like any other sport if you are supporting a team you would sit through 10 hours of boring football just to watch them score that 1 goal... and like any other sport if you dont enjoy the game, of course youre going to find it boring! id say the exact same things about hockey and american football.

american football is more hard hitting, true, but rugby is alot more violent (not neccessarily a good thing) - i havnt seen too many american footballers having thier eyes gouged out in a ruck :D but then again i dont watch it. too say american football is a poof game is a bit wrong though, they do get knocked about alot more - hence the need for the pads.

personally i find american football boring as hell, cus it is so stop and start... and all the overly dramatic celebrations when a touchdown is scored with these guys dancing around like muppets taunting the other players...

#7 DanWilliamson

DanWilliamson

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:11 AM

Can't say I have played any because I find them boring as hell, I sit down and watch Englands matches in the World Cup but there not exactly good.

#8 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:15 AM

Can't say I have played any because I find them boring as hell, I sit down and watch Englands matches in the World Cup but there not exactly good.

:D

Blasphemeur!!!

#9 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:19 AM

:o

Blasphemeur!!!

OMG how can you say that?!?! (not you Stu, completly agree).

not GOOD?!!! We aint got "Wayne r00nie" anymore so they will be better now :D lol :D

The only thing is with football (english) is people do try and play things up a bit.

e.g:

*football hits leg*
AWWWWWWWW MY LEG, SVEN SVEN!!!! BRING ME THE DEEP HEAT........and a jaccuzi, with some swedish wemon!....it errr....helps me recover.... :D :D

You get the idea :D

edit: or of course there is the infamous "10 of my players got food poisening" - Its like "The dog eat my homework" of football.

Edited by .Matt, 30 May 2006 - 11:22 AM.

#10 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:23 AM

did you know it is a myth that the idea of the cold sponge used by physios in the early days was actually to get footballers off thier feet and running around as soon as footballers saw it? :D

can you imagine someone running up to you with a cold wet sponge to put it on your leg in the middle of winter :D

*stevie gerrard gerrard, he hits it so fuuuuuuu**in 'ard*

#11 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:25 AM

you see, the thing with football (soccer) is it can be boring, but like any other sport if you are supporting a team you would sit through 10 hours of boring football just to watch them score that 1 goal... and like any other sport if you dont enjoy the game, of course youre going to find it boring! id say the exact same things about hockey and american football.

I love to play sports, but generally hate watching them. I love watching hockey and football, but I LOVE to play basketball, baseball, rugby, soccer, volleyball, waterpolo and I even golf, but those are all sports I can't stand to watch.

Dan

#12 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:27 AM

Ahhh basketball.... :D

Its the one sport that i can achually say "I am better than you mwahaha" to people in my school lol :D

Dont get to play much :D

edit: I dont say mwahaha....i think o.0

Edited by .Matt, 30 May 2006 - 11:28 AM.

#13 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:32 AM

Its the one sport that i can achually say "I am better than you mwahaha" to people in my school lol :D

I don't suck at it but I'm not a pro either.. I play it for fun with friends from time to time. I'm just athletic in general and enjoy all sports and usually do pretty well at whatever I play. My passion is definitely football though... I think anything that people like to do that is a form of excercise is a good thing no matter what the sport is.

Except for Cricket... W - T - F is THAT all about?!

Dan

#14 DanWilliamson

DanWilliamson

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:35 AM

I don't suck at it but I'm not a pro either.. I play it for fun with friends from time to time. I'm just athletic in general and enjoy all sports and usually do pretty well at whatever I play. My passion is definitely football though... I think anything that people like to do that is a form of excercise is a good thing no matter what the sport is.

Dan

Lol, cricket is one of the sports that I will play as I can just be lazy and stand where they never hit the ball.

#15 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:43 AM

Dan

R-I-I-I-G-H-T THATS IT!!

you and me outside right now! :D
I love cricket, perhaps not as much as basketball, nor football, but come on!! Its great. Its great to watch, play ...and....um...whatever else you do with a sport!!

Seriously, its fun :D

#16 Jacorre

Jacorre

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Technology, Internet, Graphic/Web Design, Music, Soccer

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:43 AM

I love many sports and have played many sports for fun, but the one I've played the most is soccer (futbol). So of course I have a bigger passion for the sport. I also coach. I know that it can get boring because professional games tend to be low scoring. I think FIFA needs to change some of the rules to open the game up to more scoring.

American football to me is a game where players are puppets. They are told what to do and when to do it. The "strategy" comes from up above and then transmitted into the quarterback's helmet. Don't get me wrong, there are many talented players in football, but it's hard to say someone is talented when they are being told what to do throughout the entire game.

With soccer, yes coaches are there to strategize but that's before the game. They are not allowed to coach when the game is being played. I'm sure you've seen them getting up and yelling out instructions but there's always a ref telling them to sit right back down. It's up to the players to make decisions and adjust based on how the game is going.

In soccer, it doesn't matter how tall you are or how much you can bench press. A talented player knows what to do both with and without the ball and when to do it. There are no instructions, no timeouts, no constant substitutions. It's you, the ball, and your opponent fighting for 90 minutes.

#17 Magnesium

Magnesium

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 168 posts
  • Interests:Surfing, golf, Nam Pai Chuan Kung Fu, paintballing, squash, boxing and skiing

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:50 AM

Americans knock us for cricket being boring and difficult to follow, but have you ever actually sat down and tried to watch an entire game of baseball?
Reminds me so much of rounders that I half expect the teams to come out in skirts and sports bras.

#18 Aussiestinger

Aussiestinger

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:50 AM

European soccer is completely boring... all that time to see one or two goals... you spend hours watching a ball get kicked back and forth and then you wake up when the occasional goal happens. What a snorefest. Most sports are like that for me... I love to play them, but they suck to watch. Football is the only sport I can actually watch, but I guess it's because I'm so much into the strategy that's it fun to predict plays.

So you are one canadian that doesn't like Ice Hockey?...

Soccer is a bit boring, American football is too slow, stop starty... Australian Football is the only way to go. Oh rugby is okay aswell.

But if you want a slow, and most boring game in the world, go to baseball, that shit sucks. I went and watched the Yankees vs Redsocks, I just wanted to leave.

#19 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:51 AM

American football to me is a game where players are puppets. They are told what to do and when to do it. The "strategy" comes from up above and then transmitted into the quarterback's helmet. Don't get me wrong, there are many talented players in football, but it's hard to say someone is talented when they are being told what to do throughout the entire game.

Haha... alrighty then. Plays are called, but the coach doesn't execute them dude.. haha.. It's EXTREMELY obvious who has talent and who doesn't. If a quarterback is very good and is controlling the game, the coach will let him call plays as they go. Quarterbacks have to be able to read the defense, call audibles etc... the quarterback is the real strategist on the field. The offensive coordinator may run in plays, but it changes quite a bit, especially once the ball is snapped. From there you see who the talented folks are :D

So you are one canadian that doesn't like Ice Hockey?...

Ummm... read the thread :D

Now, someone explain to me wtf cricket is about pls. it makes absolutely zero sense to me.

Dan

#20 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 11:55 AM

hehe, faken: http://www.cs.purdue...explanation.htm

Saves me the finger pain :D

Havent you ever played?

0 user(s) are reading this topic