MAdEinUK1

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:35 PM

Hi,

Please critique my new website.

I do know that the client login does not work properly in Firefox.

Thanks

www.bychoice.eu

#2 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:48 PM

Nice but you have a few things I see you need to change, have the swf inside a html page instead of a popup window the other is your navigation I clicked on print and there is no way back to the main site, same as web. Why make it so hard for people to navigate?

You also have far too much wasted space for something like that. Don't forget to add the javascript fix in for IE users as it shows a box around your site.

#3 MAdEinUK1

MAdEinUK1

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:51 PM

The website is in a html document. I made the site like that so people with 1024 x 768 resoloution can see all the site.

There are arrows on the web and print section taking you back to the main page.

#4 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:58 PM

I'm on 1024 res atm I get no arrows also you have taken all of my browser away normally I click straight off sites like that.

I just had a look in Firefox there is no navigation at all so you may want to look at that.

#5 MAdEinUK1

MAdEinUK1

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:04 PM

Well thats your progative. I know what looks good, so does the graphic designer who designed this aswell.

I have had a number of people testing the website using different web browsers before the website went up.

I know what the glitches are. And by the way do you always leave negative feedback?

#6 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:15 PM

Well thats your progative. I know what looks good, so does the graphic designer who designed this aswell.

I have had a number of people testing the website using different web browsers before the website went up.

I know what the glitches are. And by the way do you always leave negative feedback?

And if you know what looks good why are you posting it on these forums for critique :)

There is nothing negative in my comments maybe you cannot see yourself but you have a navigation problem, this site does NOT work correctly in 1024x768 resolution.

I just had someone else view it, there reply:

i get the arrows here...
but once you resize the window for lower resolutions, the arrows are no more,
1152x864
but if i resize the window the 1024, the arrows are not displaying at all

#7 NGPixel

NGPixel

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Web Design : Coding : Animation

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:16 PM

Donna is right MAdEinUK1,

Your website works when the resolution is higher than 1024 but once you get into the standard resolutions of 1024x768 or ever lower, the arrows are not displaying. Also, there's no need to popup a window for this, it's totally useless.

And btw, if you post here, it's because you want your site to be criticized. Donna is pointing out what's not working, nothing about negative or positive feedback. Don't think it's because you asked 2-3 people to test your site that it works for everyone.

*You posted before I did Donna lol

Edited by NGPixel, 22 June 2006 - 05:17 PM.

#8 MAdEinUK1

MAdEinUK1

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:18 PM

Ok,

Can you tell me the Javascript hotfix please?

#9 porgeet

porgeet

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:32 PM

You also have far too much wasted space for something like that.

The wasted space you are talking about is negative space. It's a design eliment with the purpose of allowing the eye space to 'brethe'. I know the designer of this webiste personally, and he wanted to keep a clean sophisticated look in reflection of his own work. With emphasis placed on typography and layout.

#10 Aussiestinger

Aussiestinger

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 270 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:40 PM

I see the arrows, but I am on 1280 size screen. It looks alright, I couldnt find any examples of your work, so dunno if there is any or its just really hard to navigate around your site? dunno. I do like the idea, don't like how it pops up in new window, especially since it isn't needed.

#11 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:21 PM

Then why request feedback? You already know!

Seriously, Donna's feedback was honest and fair and this is your behavior? You've fallen into the classic error of taking criticism personally, something that does nothing but hamper your growth.

As for me, lose the lone pop up window.. that's really annoying and I don't understand why it takes so long to load. The percentage preloader was up and running for quite awhile, yet once the flash loaded up, there's really not much there to explain what took so long. But I don't know if that's because slow dl from the server or if the swf is quite large. If the swf is large (anything over 300k is starting to push it) you should load and unload external SWFs as required instead of it all being in a single file. There's also no reason this site shouldn't fit in an 800x600 resolution. Don't forget, you are targeting people that are LOOKING for designers... that means business owners and such, so you will get quite a few 800x600 users that will be lost on your site. Other designers run higher resolutions (like the people critiquing your site), but they aren't the people that will go to your site in search of services.

Dan

#12 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:58 PM

loading screens makes people leave your site
and pop ups are annoying as people already said
make something that loads faster

#13 MAdEinUK1

MAdEinUK1

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:57 AM

Ok, thanks.

The swf file is 3mb big. I know its big and im trying to load different swfs into the main swf.

If you click on me or jay it will show you our work.

The silent hill project is about 2mb big =(

Thanks for your critiscism and I shouldnt of reacted like that.

#14 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Music: HIM, HIM, HIM, Cafe del Mar, Linkin Park, Fort Minor, Coldplay, Eric Jordan<br />Sports: Snowboarding, KiteSurfing, Extreme Sports<br />Computer: Flash, After Effects, Actionscript

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:02 AM

some small stuff I've found which I think could be improved..

- Lot's of white space, which could be used for something else (small animations, in the background very lighten for example)
- Arrows are not viewable at 1024 (already mentioned)
- I don't want to click everywhere on the site, till I see your work! either it's viewable from the beginning or at least marked somewhere.
- 3MB??????? how come??? you should work on saving bandwidth, not everyone in this world has DSL/Cable connectivity.
- JavaScript IE Fix! http://www.macromedi...ads.html#flash8
- that AE file you mentioned (silenthill) how come that it's 2MB.. (very strange)
- When I browse into the sections Print, Web.. I expect to see some of your work somewhere on that section, a grey pic and a few lines of text... looks not very interesting.
- Yellow on white..

+ The idea of the layout is cool
+ The masking you used is nice

forgot one.. POP-UP'S :wacko:

#15 MAdEinUK1

MAdEinUK1

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:01 AM

Thanks,

I am currently changing the problems.

The site is basicly our brochure brought to life, thats why we have alot of whitespace as porgeet mentioned earlier.

#16 _*Speed_*

_*Speed_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:47 AM

Its really nice. Do you want to affiliate?

#17 MAdEinUK1

MAdEinUK1

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:17 PM

Thanks for the offer but we have decided we dont want affiliates at this moment of time.

=)

#18 TheGame

TheGame

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Arts, Music, Paranormal, Computers, Web Design

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:39 PM

Nice site.

I suggest to you that instead of the site opening in a popup, make it open on the same browser. Remember that for some users the pop-ups are blocked and not everyone has the ability to disable pop-up blocking on some sites.

Other than that, it's great. ;-)

#19 DoctorPhotoshop

DoctorPhotoshop

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:19 AM

1. Load faster
2. Smaller window that opens

1. Nice interaction and effect transitions

#20 MAdEinUK1