Blender
Photoshop
Dreamweaver
Illustrator
InDesign
Flash

Programs I have used that I may use again:
Visual C++
(I thought I would think of more of these)

Programs I want to use:
Some type of video editing (Adobe, Avid)
Some type of audio editing (whatever)

Laptops I am looking at:
PC: Lenovo Thinkpad x60s (~$1900)
MAC: MacBook 13" (~$1900)

Considering my computing habits, which is better for me, Mac or PC?

#2 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 08:45 PM

Well, if you use vs, I suggest using Windows.

You can get a video editing and audio editing for windows
Adobe After effects, and theres another Adobe thing I believe.

Audio editing theres a free program that is quite powerful for windows called GoldWave

#3 joe

joe

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 01:45 AM

i think u better u Mac if u have more money... :o ^_^

.joe/

#4 Neodug

Neodug

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Webdesign, Video games, Cars, girls.

Posted 21 July 2006 - 10:52 AM

Well, if you use vs, I suggest using Windows.

You can get a video editing and audio editing for windows
Adobe After effects, and theres another Adobe thing I believe.

Audio editing theres a free program that is quite powerful for windows called GoldWave

Adobe Premiere CS2 :o I surggest you get a Macmini core duo and upgrade the ram and buy a nice display.

#5 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 06:33 PM

A new intel dual core mac which runs windows and osx <_<

Problem over lol.

#6 Macster12

Macster12

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:12 PM

I think .Matt hit the target. Just get a Mac and run windows lol. I think Macs are far more efficient in running those office programs, and probably more reliable lol. I don't know...

but I think Mac is the best way to go for you.

#7 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 21 July 2006 - 08:16 PM

Yeah, seems some windows apps run faster on a mac. (the intel ones anyway).

ps. always a good watch: http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

:D

#8 _*Speed_*

_*Speed_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2006 - 09:45 PM

i think u better u Mac if u have more money... :D :)

.joe/

Uhum????? If you have the money get a high end PC. You have 4grand? Go buy yourself the best pc money can buy right now. Dont waste it on the mac. There is a obvious reason why 96% of users who own computers use Windows, and only 4% use mac. Ive used macs before, and I really am ashamed of how cheap it is. Thats just my opinion, macs are cheap.

#9 Macster12

Macster12

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 02:55 AM

They maybe cheap, but I thought Mac's are less prone to grab a virus compared to many others. :D

You can run windows on the Macintosh, not a big deal. Cheap yet I think more reliable, especially for what he's doing. He didn't say he was going to go run F.E.A.R, DOOM3, or some other high-end out of this world game, :) he named off more of office or business programs, and I think Mac is better for that, however if he's going to wanna run games as well I think it's a different story. :D

Edited by Macster12, 22 July 2006 - 02:58 AM.

#10 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:07 AM

My reasons to get a mac:

- No viruses
- Better networking
- Most good apps can/will run on macs
- No windows bull*h*t
- Inbuilt firewall etc etc
- Ilife
- They dont crash no where near as often as pcs do
- If you delete something on a mac, its deleted
- You get everything vista will have + more much better right now
- isight ^_^

There are crap load smore reasons as well....Give me some for windows please :P

Get a mac

if you just want to run games, get a damn mac as well, get a high end one with intel chip and load windows onto, get better performance than on a bloody pc.

If you dont like macs, get out and use them for a few years, then come back and tell me how they compare to windows.

Edited by .Matt, 22 July 2006 - 10:23 AM.

#11 d2Squared

d2Squared

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Interests:Swimmig<br />Web-design<br />Starcraft

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:22 AM

i was also wondering what computer to buy, cause i might buy a new one, and .Matt really made me feel like buying a mac,
haha

#12 NGPixel

NGPixel

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Web Design : Coding : Animation

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:02 AM

I might want to add that most of .Matt reasons are false or not unique to Mac. And ppl saying they can run Windows in virtual mode, remember that feature is totally not secure and full of security holes.

Both have their pros & cons, I personally think PC still wins the battle here because of compatibility. And btw, ppl saying Mac don't have virus and never crash..., my windows never crashed (or almost) and i never got a single virus so that reason is irrevelant.

If you think using only these softwares, then you can get a Mac without any problems but you're limited to it. Using most programming softwares (such as VS) requires a Windows PC.

#13 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:05 AM

.Matt macs get viruses <_<

============

Yertsivad if I was to buy a new system now it would be a Mac with Virtual Windows installed so I have both, plus my software wouldn't even run on a Mac without windows and I presume all your software is windows so you'll need to think about that.

Virtual Windows on a Mac coming to stores

#14 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:20 AM

.Matt macs get viruses ^_^

Well, isnt that word "can" :P

It is possible but no where near as much as PCs.... + no more pricey anti virus :P

btw, NGPixel....like what? I mean...."most good software" i guess that one i wrong, you got programs such as access etc, i was talking about the main ones such as photoshop, dreamweaver (*scowl*), flash etc.

"If you delete something on a mac, its deleted" could be wrong....but i thought that's true? Enlighten me lol :P

edit: ahhh, deleted the wrong one lol. Of course...64bit xp :(

Top Ten Reasons for Upgrading to a PC instead of a Mac:

* 1. You enjoy reading computer manuals
* 2. Buying parts 'not included' is your idea of being patriotic
* 3. Blaming it on the PC is a great excuse... for anything
* 4. Tech support is your idea of telephone dating
* 5. Your favorite computer game is figuring out where your files are
* 6. You look forward to today's new virus (or worm, or both)
* 7. You like listening to telephone support hold-button music
* 8. Letting the kids play on the Mac next door frees your time (eliminates after-school kid sitters)
* 9. You think Bill Gates deserves the money
* 10. You have nothing better to do with all the extra time

lol!

http://www.user-groups.net/articles/mac_vs_pc.html

Edited by .Matt, 22 July 2006 - 10:26 AM.

#15 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:21 AM

Matt... Sorry but good god, talk about flag waving...

- No viruses

There are viruses for macs... just run a virus scanner, keep it up to date and problem over. I run windows and US IE and I haven't had a virus or spyware in years.

- Better networking

ROFL! Never seen a cororate network built on MACs before.

- Most good apps can/will run on macs

That's a plus? ALL good apps run on PC lol!

- No windows bull*h*t

Replaced with MAC OS bullshit

So does Windows

- Ilife

??

- They dont crash no where near as often as pcs do

Actually, my XP install is completely stable and programs crash in it maybe once every few months. Macs crash quite a bit.

Can't count the number of times recycle bin has saved my ass. I see this as a good thing.

- Much more ram can be added mwahaha! (upto 16gb i believe)

There are PCs that can handle more than that...

- You get everything vista will have + more much better right now

uh huh lol!

- isight ^_^

I can see just fine :P

If folks want to buy a MAC, go for it, but this Mac vs PC debate is nothing short of ridiculous.... if Macs were truly so much better, then Mac fans wouldn't have to be constantly toting how much better macs are... people would know by reputation and we'd all be changing already. It's like Mac users are really insecure and need to remind themselves how much better their machines are all the time lol! Get over it folks :P Oh, and PLEASE find new arguments about why Macs are better, the old ones from 1998 are just getting a bit boring now.

Both machines have advantages and disadvantages, but overall, your ease of use will always be better with a PC, expecially if you have to deal with lots of clients and have to share content with them. Any professional designer I know that uses macs and runs a design business always tells me getting content to clients is a chore because they all run PC. They still love their Macs, which is fine, but they also need a PC to test everything before it goes out to a client, and to run software they use for business that has no Mac support.

Oh, and can we stop having these lame Mc vs PC discussions? LOL Just look up and old one... you know... from the 30 times we've had this discussion before :P

Dan

#16 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:29 AM

And btw, ppl saying Mac don't have virus and never crash..., my windows never crashed (or almost) and i never got a single virus so that reason is irrevelant.

No it isnt, the fact is you didnt get a virus because you had anti virus software glued to your pc constantly, which is both resource intensive and money $$$ intensive. And just because yours didnt crash many times, doesnt really show the general experience of windows crashing every five minutes, especially after the first major one.

- No windows bull*h*t

Replaced with MAC OS bullshit

LOL

So does Windows

The mac one works

Can't count the number of times recycle bin has saved my ass. I see this as a good thing.

I mean after you delete it from the recycle bin, macs have a recycle bin to lol.

Yeh, already deleted that one, forgot about 64bit ^_^

- isight :P

I can see just fine :(

ROFL

If folks want to buy a MAC, go for it, but this Mac vs PC debate is nothing short of ridiculous.... if Macs were truly so much better, then Mac fans wouldn't have to be constantly toting how much better macs are... people would know by reputation and we'd all be changing already. It's like Mac users are really insecure and need to remind themselves how much better their machines are all the time lol! Get over it folks ;) Oh, and PLEASE find new arguments about why Macs are better, the old ones from 1998 are just getting a bit boring now.

Both machines have advantages and disadvantages, but overall, your ease of use will always be better with a PC, expecially if you have to deal with lots of clients and have to share content with them. Any professional designer I know that uses macs and runs a design business always tells me getting content to clients is a chore because they all run PC. They still love their Macs, which is fine, but they also need a PC to test everything before it goes out to a client, and to run software they use for business that has no Mac support.

Oh, and can we stop having these lame Mc vs PC discussions? LOL Just look up and old one... you know... from the 30 times we've had this discussion before ;)

hehe, you can never mention IE for mac without entering a debate lol :D I guess it comes down to what your doing and what you prefer, oh and btw "ilife" is a software package that comes with macs :P

New discussion...how about...."apple vs bannana" :P

Edited by .Matt, 22 July 2006 - 10:35 AM.

#17 joe

joe

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 12:53 PM

Uhum????? If you have the money get a high end PC. You have 4grand? Go buy yourself the best pc money can buy right now. Dont waste it on the mac. There is a obvious reason why 96% of users who own computers use Windows, and only 4% use mac. Ive used macs before, and I really am ashamed of how cheap it is. Thats just my opinion, macs are cheap.

i think i ur routine doing design software, better u use Mac than Windows. In my country, Mac is very2 expensive computer ^_^ , so not all every person have it. :blush:
yeah, that's in my mind :blush: :P

#18 Hayden

Hayden

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 03:25 PM

as far as I know, Avid is only supported by the company when used on a Mac; or it's highly reccommended to use on a Mac. ^_^

and if Visual C++ is the only application that you would need Windows for, then your decision shouldn't be hard now that Mac's have the Intel Dual Core inside. :blush:

lol. Mac doesn't require a s*** load of memory for it to run properly.

Edited by SpatialVisionary, 22 July 2006 - 03:27 PM.

#19 SatanicPenguins

SatanicPenguins

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Photoshop, Web Design, Graphic Design, Internet.

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:03 PM

I just wanted to pop in and say, i dont know why mac people tend to bash on pc's so much, My windows hasnt crashed since i got XP. no virus's, 512mb ram and i do everything i could ever want and fast. i usually have upwards of 10 programs up with like 10 in my systray lol

Hi my names esem and im a PC. I can actually do fun things like listen to mp3's. i dont have to deal with any of the iSh*t :D

#20 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:06 PM

Hi, my names Matt and im a pc, i'm made by thousands of different manufacturers which means my components, just dont "gel".

Hi, my names Matt and im a mac, i'm made by one company, the company that makes macs! My hardware is ment for my software.

hehe :D There's something like that on the mac site, not an advert but text.

Edited by .Matt, 22 July 2006 - 08:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users