22 replies to this topic

#1 dev0

dev0

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 02:08 PM

Hey can i have a copy of your site with the php that i can edit and change the bars and stuff. i just want the system kind of thing if you get wat i mean. Please. I have been trying to make a site for ages but i cant phpify anything to make it good. You do realise it will get completely changed eventually

#2 Dumb Genius

Dumb Genius

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 03:06 PM

The forum is using Invision Power Board, click on the copyright, you'll get on the official site. :D

#3 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 03:46 PM

Hey can i have a copy of your site with the php that i can edit and change the bars and stuff. i just want the system kind of thing if you get wat i mean. Please. I have been trying to make a site for ages but i cant phpify anything to make it good. You do realise it will get completely changed eventually

If you mean the forum, you can get it at http://www.invisionboard.com/

If you mean the rest of the site, you can have a copy of it for $85,000 USD (Not kidding) to pay for the 1000s of hours we've put into it.

Faken

#4 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 03:50 PM

and thats charging about 1/3 the going rate for our services :D

#5 dev0

dev0

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 11:05 AM

Woaw ummm yeah i meant the site but umm dnt really have that much infact wiv christmas over i dont have anything well oh well. How would i actually start making a site like this? You know anywhere where they have this kind of thing with some php on it preferably not a cms because they're hard to edit.

#6 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 12:37 PM

every noob and his mother wants to do a tutorial listing now days, but not people people do it properly, mainly because they've not coded it thereself or are just plain stupid.

If you want to begin to code something like this start learning php, and code it from stratch, that way u'd be more "in touch" with your code and know what to edit when things go wrong :)

#7 dev0

dev0

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 02:32 PM

yes ok i get your point but i tried learning it and so far i have only learnt <?php include"pixle2lifes-site.php" ?> and even thats prob wrong. I was trying the thing at www.phpfreaks.com but i just cant do it!!!! :) <- wat i looked liek after reading some of it!

#8 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 04:44 PM

A successful site like this is a monsterous achievement, one that I wouldn't be eager to part with. Be aware that aside from the thousands of hours of work that has been put into the coding and design of this site, there would have had to have been some serious financial backing as well. I wouldn't have any idea what hosting would cost for this site since it would eat up bandwidth like you wouldn't believe with the thousands of hits it recieves. P2L is a *very* popular site and I believe is Faken's most cherished posession (aside from his AvP models <3)

#9 dev0

dev0

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 12:16 PM

Yeah i know wat u mean and i have hosting which is currently messed up just no site. Well i dont know where to start can i have some hints please. im lost. I know how much time must go into the site and i appreciate that. I just dont know what to do. <3

#10 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 12:45 PM

A successful site like this is a monsterous achievement, one that I wouldn't be eager to part with. Be aware that aside from the thousands of hours of work that has been put into the coding and design of this site, there would have had to have been some serious financial backing as well. I wouldn't have any idea what hosting would cost for this site since it would eat up bandwidth like you wouldn't believe with the thousands of hits it recieves. P2L is a *very* popular site and I believe is Faken's most cherished posession (aside from his AvP models <3)

We're getting close to 10GB a day now... we're switching to a brand new DEDICATED server in a couple of weeks because the MySQL load is raping the shared environment we're in now. V2 will be an even bigger load because more of the site is generated dynamically rather than hard coded like it is now. It'll cost a ton of money but Ty is giving us a kick ass price and management cost and I can cover the amount so no worries. It definitely costs more than $19.99 a month lol!

Faken

#11 dev0

dev0

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:00 PM

wat!?! oh well, well that doesnt help much i still not closer to finding out how i should start making a website or anything. How did this website actually start anyway? or does any of you have a website that is going into the dumps that i could mess around with the stuff. Not actually mess with the site that is online.

#12 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 02:34 PM

wat!?! oh well, well that doesnt help much i still not closer to finding out how i should start making a website or anything. How did this website actually start anyway? or does any of you have a website that is going into the dumps that i could mess around with the stuff. Not actually mess with the site that is online.

you don't get to the top of a company by the owner simply going "damn whats ur cv? blank you say.. heres my leading role.." nor do you get a website that someones put all their effort into because they are closing down

its simply not the way it works sonny jim

#13 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 05:18 PM

We're getting close to 10GB a day now... we're switching to a brand new DEDICATED server in a couple of weeks because the MySQL load is raping the shared environment we're in now. V2 will be an even bigger load because more of the site is generated dynamically rather than hard coded like it is now. It'll cost a ton of money but Ty is giving us a kick ass price and management cost and I can cover the amount so no worries. It definitely costs more than $19.99 a month lol!

Faken

At one point I had looked at dedicated hosting, and I quickly reconsidered something else. There's no way I could cover those costs lol. I'm glad P2L has outgrown our environment and that we have the resources to expand and grow with our needs.

A note to "sonny jim" <3 To start a website you must consider the following things:

- What is it going to be on? Focus on one topic at first, and maybe grow later.
- What're you going to call it?
- What is your avaliable budget?
- Who's going to do the main work? You or someone else?
- Is this a hobby for you, or are you genuinely going to put something into it?
- Do you have a plan? This is a big one. A website with no planning behind it will fail quite quickly. I recently figured out a business plan for my site, and I'm now completely rewriting it to fit that plan, and I've noticed a considerable jump in traffic now that I'm doing that. People want to be reassured you know what you're doing.
- Is the financial backing there? Can you afford a designer and/or coder? Can you do both yourself or are you going to have to pay someone to do it?

The list goes on and on... starting a site may seem simple, but starting a great site takes some time and planning.

#14 dev0

dev0

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 05:04 AM

ok well i tihnk ill just stick to looking at your site

#15 _*Guest_dev0_*

_*Guest_dev0_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:19 PM

Hey i just saw that tutorial seek wats happening with that. You could make that big too. Doe it use the sae tutorials as pixel2life.com?

#16 Andy

Andy

Graphical Idol Judge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 12:12 PM

its basically just displays the tutorials that pixel2life.com displays, with only 1/4 of the graphics :P

so really... making that big would be useless

Andy

#17 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 02:35 PM

Like Andy said, it only uses 1/4 of the graphics and stuff. It's basically a "Pixel2life Lite" site for those looking for the tutorials and no frills...

#18 dev0

dev0

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 03:28 PM

oh ok that has answered my quiery thanks. So no chance of you making that into a comunity and as good as pixel2life?

#19 _*Guest_*

_*Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2005 - 04:30 PM

What would be the point if you have pixel2life.com?

#20 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 04:45 PM

oh ok that has answered my quiery thanks. So no chance of you making that into a comunity and as good as pixel2life?

I believe that after its overhaul, it'll still remain a simplified P2L for those who want the tutorials and thats it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users