Enhancing Your Desktop

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 _*Zenom_*

_*Zenom_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:04 AM

Enhancing Your Desktop

Have you ever wondered how people, people like me, create really cool desktops such as this one? J Look no further because well…I will show you how to do it.

Posted Image

System Requirements

• Microsoft Windows 98 / XP OS
  • 512MB Ram (Minimum)
  • 64MB Video Card (Minimum)
  • 2.0GHz Processor (Minimum)
  • Mouse + Keyboard J
Programs You Will Need

• Avedesk
  • Avescripter
  • RK Launcher
  • iColorFolder
  • UXTheme Multi Patcher 5.0
1/2. Avedesk / Avescripter

Download Avedesk by clicking on this link. Unzip Avedesk to a new folder in your C drive; preferably, C:\Desktop Enhancements. Now run avedesk.exe. You should see some of the default icons loading for you. From then on, you can download external widgets for Avedesk by clicking on this link. If you would like to take full advantage of Avedesk, then download Avescripter, which is an addon for Avedesk. Avescripter should come with a small help guide that will answer most of your questions concerning that program.

+How to add hard drive information to your desktop by using Avedesk

First enter the Avedesk control panel. Then go to Desklets > Add… > PidlShortcut > My Computer. Then press the OK button to add. Now you should see a new My Computer icon on your desktop. Right click on it, and view its properties. Once you are viewing its properties, go to the tab Label Format. Copy and paste the following in the input box;

Used: %pU%% Percent Left: %pF%% Left: %3

3. RK Launcher

RK Launcher is a program which can enable you to add dock icons to your desktop. It is what gives your desktop that "mac" feeling. Click here to download RK Launcher. Unzip RK Launcher to your previous directory, C:\Desktop Enhancements. Next run RKLauncher.exe. You should see a new dock on your desktop. Editing / adding icons is rather straight forward. Right click on any icon for more options. If you would like to add new icons, just drag and drop shortcuts to the dock. If you ever come into the need of adding more custom icons, please visit this DeviantART page.

Any questions so far? It's pretty easy as of now, and will continue to still be.

4. iColorFolder

iColorFolder allows you to change your normal folder icons to other colors. If you view the first thumbnail of my desktop in this topic, you will notice I have a grey folder rather than the default pale – yellow theme. iColorFolder comes in many colors and can be downloaded here.

5. UXTheme Multi Patcher 5.0

Please visit this page to download UXTheme Multi Patcher. Once you begin installing, Windows will alert you that some system files are being modified. Ignore the messages, and continue with the installation. A restart is required for best performances. Oh wait, you don't know what this program does, huh? Well, what this program does is that it patches your default explorer.exe with a new one that will allow multiple visual styles rather than using the plain blue Windows XP theme.
+Now that you patched explorer.exe, you will need custom styles

You will need to download some visual styles. DeviantART has a rich gallery of visual styles for you to choose from. Now let's say you just downloaded OrangeStyle.zip. Unzip OrangeStyle.zip and see what files are in there. You should see a .msstyle file. If you do, then you are viewing the correct folder. Check to see if the .msstyle has the same name as the folder. In this case, it should be named OrangeStyle.msstyle because the folder is named OrangeStyle. Now you will need to pay a little visit to your Windows directory. Go to the following directory;

C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes

Copy and paste the folder OrangeStyler to that directory. So if you were to view the following address, C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\OrangeStyle, you will see a .msstyle file called OrangeStyle.msstyle. Once you have done that, go back to your desktop. Right click any where on your desktop and go to properties. Then go to the tab Appearance. In the first drop down menu, you should see OrangeStyle because you have just installed that visual style. Now taking what you have just learned from this small Visual Style guide, try downloading a real style and test it out yourself.

Extras

Wallpapers

Good wallpaper is a must. It should always match with the current styles you are using, such as your visual style, or dock icons. If I am looking for wallpapers, I would go to the following sites;

• DeviantART
  • Wallpaperstock
  • InterfaceLIFT
Blank Folder Name

It's very important that you master the art of invisible folder names. Please view the first thumbnail I have provided in this topic. You will see a grey folder on the top right corner with an invisible folder name. Most of you will think, wait you can't have a folder without a name! Well you are perfectly correct, you can't. And I never said you can. Here is what I have done.

Whenever I right click on a folder and go to rename, I don't enter any text. Instead I use ALT+255. What that means is you are using your alt key with the combination of your number pad to create special text and symbols. Please note, you must hold the alt key, and then press 2, 2, 5. Once you do that, let go of the alt key. You should see a "space" appear. The computer reads this as text, while humans read it as, well, nothing…its invisible.

And that's about it folks.

Here is my new desktop as of August 22, 2006; The day I posted this tutorial.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Zenom, 22 August 2006 - 02:05 PM.

#2 Av-

Av-

I Feel Left Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:07 PM

Thanks for the tips, the UXTheme multi patcher really helped me out.
No need for windowblinds / stylexp anymore :blink:

#3 α∂αмяoss

α∂αмяoss

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Interests:football, Manchester Utd., coding, web developement, business, girls and warcraft.

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:33 AM

I prefer to use Object Dock for those dock bars. Also, it's fun creating the icons for them!

#4 _*Zenom_*

_*Zenom_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:30 AM

I prefer to use Object Dock for those dock bars. Also, it's fun creating the icons for them!

Sure, whatever floats your boat.

#5 blinek

blinek

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:07 PM

It floats my boat as well, i prefer object dock also. Even though it cost money.

My desktop is cooler :P

Edited by blinek, 25 August 2006 - 05:07 PM.

#6 _*Zenom_*

_*Zenom_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:21 PM

It floats my boat as well, i prefer object dock also. Even though it cost money.

My desktop is cooler :P

Show me aeiko.

#7 blinek

blinek

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:10 PM

It's blinek or jamie,

I will but not today because i won't be at my actual computer until tomorrow.

#8 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:45 PM

Excuse me... but how do you remove the original Recycle Bin if you are using the Dock system? I don't really want two-three recycle bins on the same desktop.

#9 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 09:07 AM

Click and drag the icon onto the desktop. It will disappear.

You could always remove the desktop recycle bin icon though....

#10 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 03:45 PM

Lol no I meant the desktop recycle bin... how do you remove it?

#11 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 03:48 PM

oh i c, i told someone how to do that the other day ona diff forum, quoootaagggeeeeee:

umm...yeah you can lol.

Open regedit and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

The one you want to delete from memory begins with 645FF....you can check it by looking at the key. Just delete the entire registry entry, refresh your desktop and its gone.

To replace it back again,you need to create a new .reg file with:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\
{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}]
@="Recycle Bin"

in. Just add it to the registry....everything can be changed using regedit, remember that lol.

:love:

Edited by .Matt, 26 August 2006 - 03:49 PM.

#12 Davey

Davey

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Interests:Creativity, Adrenaline, Etc

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:25 PM

oh i c, i told someone how to do that the other day ona diff forum, quoootaagggeeeeee:

umm...yeah you can lol.

Open regedit and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

The one you want to delete from memory begins with 645FF....you can check it by looking at the key. Just delete the entire registry entry, refresh your desktop and its gone.

To replace it back again,you need to create a new .reg file with:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\
{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}]
@="Recycle Bin"

in. Just add it to the registry....everything can be changed using regedit, remember that lol.

:love:

i used to always mod my comp desktop but cant b bothered anymore... as for removing the recycle bin from desktop, there's a better way of doing at but i need to find the thing i used,,, basically adds a menu option so u can just check it or uncheck it to hide/ show the bin

i'll repost in a min, will google it :o

#13 _*Zenom_*

_*Zenom_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:41 PM

You can change the recycle bin icon by right click > properties > desktop > customize desktop.

I removed my recycle bin by using tweakxp now or something like that.

#14 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:53 PM

You probably used tweak xp as Zenom did, its not a better way of doing it, it does the exact same thing. Only this way your actually learning what changes instead of ticking a flaming box :love:

#15 _*Zenom_*

_*Zenom_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:56 PM

You probably used tweak xp as Zenom did, its not a better way of doing it, it does the exact same thing. Only this way your actually learning what changes instead of ticking a flaming box :o

no its not tweakxp. Its tweaknow. I just checked. Its not just for the recycle bin. It has so many useful features.:love:

#16 Davey

Davey

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Interests:Creativity, Adrenaline, Etc

Posted 26 August 2006 - 05:10 PM

You probably used tweak xp as Zenom did, its not a better way of doing it, it does the exact same thing. Only this way your actually learning what changes instead of ticking a flaming box :love:

it wasnt any program, it was a registry entry from a file i happened to make as shown on the site i was trying to find but i had no such luck... as for having "a flaming tick box" it just makes things easier for getting it back so i can empty/recover stuff from it...

#17 _*Zenom_*

_*Zenom_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2006 - 07:27 PM

You probably used tweak xp as Zenom did, its not a better way of doing it, it does the exact same thing. Only this way your actually learning what changes instead of ticking a flaming box ;)

it wasnt any program, it was a registry entry from a file i happened to make as shown on the site i was trying to find but i had no such luck... as for having "a flaming tick box" it just makes things easier for getting it back so i can empty/recover stuff from it...

I dont know what flaming tickbox your tocking about.... :ph34r:

#18 -Roy-

-Roy-

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:06 PM

-sorry for the bump-
Doesn't this really slows down your pc?

#19 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 03:31 PM

Yep,
well at least the expensive programs like object dock do, and they crash windows after a while.

#20 N-sane Noob

N-sane Noob

Noob Leader

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Interests:Taking over stuff

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:07 PM

I'm tired of installing these kind of programs. I installed Vista transformation pack once and it messed up my computer. These things make the desktop look better but they slow it down. For some of them, even if you unistall them you are still gonna have things left from it. Now i just use Vista, original windows !!

Edited by N-sane Noob, 16 October 2006 - 12:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users