91 replies to this topic

#1 AdventureBear

AdventureBear

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:23 PM

HI everyone, this is my first post to this forum, so bear with me. I don't think I"m breaking any rules by posting this, but please let me know if I am.

The prize for this contest is $50 which will be awarded either via PayPal or business check thru the mail for the winner from this site. I am working with 1 or 2 other desingers as well, so I may not end up using your design in the end. If I do use your design, I may ask if you would like to contribute to other ideas (business card, web site template/design, jersey design, etc). (i.e. there may be more work available!)

The contest will last for about two weeks, ending on October first at midnight. I'll pick a winner ASAP after that date. From the winner, I will ask for the "standard files", which I think are the .eps files typically? As well as digital format (png/jpg) that I could use right away. Let me know if there is something 'screwy' with this request...like I said, I'm not a desinger!

I am in search of a "cool logo" for my newly formed coaching business, which I am running strictly as a hobby. It is a coaching service for endurance athletes, specifically triathletes and x-terra (off-road triathlons) of all distances. I can also do single sport coaching as well. My fees are low by industry standards, as I am new at coaching and like I said, this is a hobby. Therefore I don't have a lot of money to hire the "professional" desingers I have contacted so far. I have seen some of the work on this site and think it's great...I am hoping $50 is enough to get a fair amount of interest.

The logo will be used on my website, business cards and flyers and possibly on a team jersey/hat as well. I would like a color version that will look good in B&W.

About the business and sport:

For those of you unfamiliar with the sport, the triathlon format is typically swim, then bike, then run, each followed immediately by the next, with just enough time to change clothing (typically 1-3 minutes). Distances range from sprint triathlons (500m swim, 20k bike, 5k run) to IronMans (2.4mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run) adn range in time from 1 hour for the fastest sprint triathletes, to 16 hours for a longish ironman finisher.

I will specialize in local athletes, typically doing the sprint and olympic distances (times from 1-4 hours) for both regular and off-road tris.

THe name of the business is "Steel City Endurance", based in Pittsburgh, PA (the Steel City, think Pittsburgh Steelers)

Some things I would like to see...please keep in mind I am not a designer, but I want to give you guidelines to keep you "on track"

Bold lines & colors, but not a large color palatte. POssibly black & gold (steelers/pirates/penguin colors), or black and red, or some other similar strong feeling palatte. Open to suggestions.

Something "iconic"...like a single bold graphic with the name of the company for example.

It should convey the strong work ethic that pittsburgh is known for in its heritage, as well as the strong work ethic required of an endurance athlete. There are a lot of Pittsburgh 'icons' that could be used...but I don't want to cloud your ideas, nor derail a great idea by putting my own images into your creative mind. Basically pittsburgh is known for a few things...Steel Making, Bridges, The 3 rivers, the "point" where the 3 rivers come together (arial view from football games), the city skyline (ppg building & US Steel building).

I don't want "3D effects", just a bold, proud look. It shouldn't be overly masculine, much of my target clients will in fact be women, but I definatley don't want a feminine "look".

While I would like to be able to see that the logo is for triathlon without having to explain it, I don't want a logo that's just an icon of each of the three sports with the name below it...those logos are far too common. However, creative integration of a swimmer, biker or runner with the logo theme would be considered (or references to these sports...a wave, a bicycle cog or wheel, etc...)

What else will help you out? I was hoping I could get some initial posts from you guys, then provide feedback. If no one is headed in a direction I like, then I could tell you some of the specific things that came to my mind, but like I said, I don't want to stifle a great idea by giving you an inferior one of mine to start off with.

Thanks a lot guys!

Sincerely,
Suzanne Atkinson
Steel City Endurance

Edited by AdventureBear, 11 September 2006 - 05:26 PM.

#2 mattyK

mattyK

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Design, Soccer, Hockey, Guitar, CKY

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:06 PM

Good description, I'll give it a whirl

Edited by mattyK, 11 September 2006 - 06:07 PM.

#3 alter-box

alter-box

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:35 PM

i'll give a try too seems to be complicated and i like that :o

swim then bike then run :wacko: then sleep for me ;)

#4 Daniel D

Daniel D

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:10 PM

Waaaaaaay more my style of logo competition.. I been trying different buisness logos for Discontinuity but I seem to be failing at that..

I will edit this post with logos as I create them! I really do look forward to working on this one.

#5 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:14 PM

I'll give it a try
I think I have an idea for what you wan't

edit: here we go

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Myoto, 11 September 2006 - 08:50 PM.

#6 AdventureBear

AdventureBear

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:20 PM

Great to see so much interest already!

The challenge isn't meant to be complicated, I just wanted to be as clear as possible. In the end, simplicity will win out over complexity.

Myoto--great start, the first one has the type of impact I'm hoping for and the logo "looks like" steel...not literally, but it's got a good feeling.

I look forward to teh other entries!

Good luck everyone. :)

#7 mattyK

mattyK

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Design, Soccer, Hockey, Guitar, CKY

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:12 AM

I was having trouble thinking of an idea that was relevant to the three sports incorporated into one logo, so I decided to do something with endurance. It makes me think of time, so I tried a stopwatch style logo, with bold colors and font.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 alter-box

alter-box

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:21 AM

great work mattyK

#9 AdventureBear

AdventureBear

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:44 AM

Matty, DOn't worry about trying to get ALL 3 into the logo... a hint or suggestion of just one would be just as good...or none at all, like I said, I want to see what you guys come up with as artists...I'm not much of an artist.

the stopwatch reminds me too much of gym class in high school, but I've really liked your entries for other contests. Triathlon & endurance sports are about reaching into yourself, not having someone else judge your performance...

I know I said I'd wait to provide feedback, but I dont' want anyone to get far off track, and I want everyone to have ample opportunity to modify their designs if they like.

Hopefully my feedback will help with what appeals to me graphically as well as the message I want to get across to my clients...and not be too critical.

the artwork itself is great, I just hated being timed in high school gym class. :)

Thanks!

#10 damir_zg

damir_zg

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 04:22 AM

i know you sead that i doesnt have to be obvious that it's about triatlon, but i just had to :)

Posted Image

#11 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:01 PM

new entries
I have taken out the round corners, they take out the strong look
Posted Image

other version
Posted Image

#12 RobCullen

RobCullen

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:10 PM

well heres my attempt bit plain but its simple

Posted Image

Good luck finding your logo

Cheers

Rob

#13 alter-box

alter-box

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:24 PM

as i said i've made a try ;)

i wish to represent "the man who helps the athlet"

Color and B&W as requested

Posted Image

like it ? improvments ?

#14 AdventureBear

AdventureBear

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 12:31 AM

Great work guys! Here's suggestions on what I like and would like ot see altered...

Myoto, I still like your first entry best. I like the experimenting with differnt shapes for the second set, but you're right, it loses power. I also like that you separated the words "steel" and "City" I don't think I would have considered that, and it works well.

Matty...I like the style, maybe a different icon in place of the stopwatch?

Damir, good start, lets work with it. Can you make the icons more stylistic? And the text less textured?

RobCullen ... neat idea, but the flame doesn't turn me on. It does however, remind me of a cauldron (sp?)/blast furnace, which is a good Steel icon...mabye try that instead?

AlterBox ... text should be stronger, and if the icon is a person, I'd like it more stylized...less angulated.

thanks a bunch. the contest runs 2 weeks, so lots of time to try various ideas.

#15 Rory

Rory

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:Php, Html, Css, Javascript, ASP.NET, Photoshop, soccer, rigby, cricket, viticulture, Ruby#, C#, AJAX.

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:51 AM

Nothing special just though I might make a few to see what you thought. Here you go:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I know they're nothing special. Just some quick works.

Edited by sik of it, 13 September 2006 - 03:53 AM.

#16 blackhawk_996

blackhawk_996

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:32 AM

B/W version...

Posted Image

Color...

Posted Image

#17 Discontinuity

Discontinuity

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:35 AM

Hi Susannah,

I read the back story elsewhere and wish you good fortune in your new endeavour. Attached is a really rough business card front design in neutral/60% female colours. It is single colour + grey so would be cheap to print/have embroidered. If you like it, use it, but don't feel the need to give feedback/encouragement - I'm a bit of a Linda Evangelista when it comes to branding and corporate design.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sometimes less is more - are you trying to get the concept of 'multi-function' ........I just couldn't be bothered to ditch the fade or pick through fonts (reinstalling my font library next week).

best wishes,

John Hancock

Edited by Discontinuity, 13 September 2006 - 10:57 AM.

#18 alter-box

alter-box

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:47 PM

really good job john ;) like the colors :)

i've try to round a little my previous try and apply other colors :) ;)

just using same light but changing a bit grey amount in colors

just a try :)

Posted Image

how does it looks ? better ?

maybe i 'll give another try but different :)

Edited by alter-box, 13 September 2006 - 01:51 PM.

#19 AdventureBear

AdventureBear

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:42 PM

Wow, more great designs.

Sik of it: I like the idea of an icon anchoring the text on the left. Can you make it acutally look like the pittsburgh skyline instead "generic" buidings? It's very distinct with the point, the fountain and the PPG building (spikey glass catherdral). Google 'pittsburgh skyline'.

BlackHawk> I think I prefer a non-serif font. The cauldron fits in great the way you used it, but it is a little overwhelming with no dimension and just the black sillohuette. (sp?)

Alter, good redesigns, but again, I think I'd like the text to be stronger.

Discontinuity....those are beautiful colors, great idea. What were your thoughts behind the little icon? It looks nice and I like the simplicity.

Edited by AdventureBear, 14 September 2006 - 01:44 PM.

#20 AdventureBear

AdventureBear

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:46 PM

Some other ideas that someone might try... could you incorporate a bicycle gear into the design somewhere? As a replacement for a letter, or a backdrop? Maybe half a bicycle gear like a setting sun behind the logo/text?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users