• This topic is locked This topic is locked
91 replies to this topic

#41 Rory

Rory

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:Php, Html, Css, Javascript, ASP.NET, Photoshop, soccer, rigby, cricket, viticulture, Ruby#, C#, AJAX.

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:14 PM

Really loving your work mattyk. Nice stuff.

#42 mattyK

mattyK

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Graphic Design, Soccer, Hockey, Guitar, CKY

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:23 PM

Really loving your work mattyk. Nice stuff.

Maybe you'll like this with it then ;)

I felt that the second circle in the gear over crowded it, so I took it out and added some gold

Posted Image

Posted Image

#43 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:54 PM

I don't know if it helps but here is pittsburg flag,so everyone can see the right colors

Posted Image

two more
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Myoto, 16 September 2006 - 09:32 PM.

#44 mattyK

mattyK

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:17 PM

I wouldn't recommend trying to use that particular yellow... too bright

but you get the reference when black and yellow are used... (see steelers colours)

#45 AdventureBear

AdventureBear

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:20 PM

No, the contest is far from over, you guys have a lot of great ideas in here. So far matty has come the closest to the feel fro what I want. Right now I have a hard time imagining somethig better...but that's what I'm at this forum for, because YOU guys/gals have the imaginations I'm lacking. :D

I hope that's what this forum in general is about, although I'm sure the cash prize is a little motivator too!

If you guys are still game for it, some modifications of the other logos already up may be what i'm looking for as well. I promised more critiques, but there's USC football on right now...I'm going ot fire up the wireless network and see if I can get it started...then I'll camp in front of football and go over the other designs.

Thanks a bunch guys, you all do great work, I hope this is fun for you as well as just trying to win a contest.

-Suzanne

#46 mattyK

mattyK

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:24 PM

definatly fun for me... I have done this stuff strickly for fun for 3 years...

#47 AdventureBear

AdventureBear

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 11:02 PM

About the other designs...

RobCullen-2nd modification of fire logo. The 3 different text styles are distracting as is the horizontal box in the middle of the words. I like the fire better than your first one, though.

RobCullen 2nd design. Nice and simple. the bike is a little too stick figurish, though. I think I'm interested in something more styled...like the way mattyk is using the bicycle cog. Maybe a similar layout with a different graphic idea?

Blackhawk: Nice redesigns. I know I said I didnt' want a log with just the 3 sports and the names, but these are nice with teh icons (that are not stick figurish). I like the simplicity. The font feels a little weak and I'm not sure why, but I like the steel effect of the coloring. How about a different arrangment of the icons in realtion to teh text? Maybe 3 interlocking gears with the icons inside? i know bicycles dont' have interlocking gears like that, but right now I'm just brainstorming with your ideas.

Damir: This one looks nicer than the first, but see my notes above for blackhawks redesign. I'm looking for something a little more "styled". Mabye take the pics out of the boxes, and instead of the pics, trace over the images with a type of brush stroke pen to get a 'suggestion' of each sport? Dunno, just some thoughts to steer it towards what interests me more. :D

Myoto: I still like your very, very first entry the best, and right now would be in 2nd place next to matty, with blackhawks ideas a further 3rd. THanks for trying to get the skyline in, but I think there is too much detail in your skyline/text combo. Also, it does kind of look like you took two logos and stuck them together. :o

As far as your pittsburgh flag versions, I admire the fact that you found a pittsburgh flag! While we do see the city seal around town on stuff, it's not really an icon that pittsburghers identify with. So while the castle idea is great, espeicially since you got the idea from a pittsburgh symbol...it just won't do it. :(

MattyK: Words escape me. This is what I love about your designs, they are graphic, bold and simple, while still getting the idea across! I agree the 2nd circle in the cog is distracting, and I love the little windows in the "night version" of the skyline. ;) I don't want to offer you any more feedback because I don't want to "break" your ideamaker! If you have any other rearrangements in your brain, they'd be great to see too. Wondering what this logo would look like in a version with a black background (thinking embroidered on a hat), or on a gold background (business card or biking jersey)?

Nothingman: Wow, great initial designs! The second one IS cool, but the gear is approaching 'machine part' instead of 'bicycle chainring'. Your design is tied for 3rd place right now with blackhawks "3 logo entry"

Minus: Still waiting for your entry!

AlterBox: Still waiting for your re-entry too!

Does the feedback help? Do you guys want to play? Still have ideas/having fun? If we had to end it now, I could easily pick a winner, but I'd still love to see what you have in you. In my next post, I'll may put up a few small pics of pittsburgh things for more brainstorming.

One more thing...don't get too distracted by MattyK's version of a cog. It works great with his design. But a bicycle chainring looks a little different, more teeth, scalloped intbetween the teeth, and the inside can have a variety of patterns. I'll see if I can post some pics. I'm not saying I want you to change your cog matt, in the way you used it, but I don't want other to take that idea and get it too far away from what a bicycle chainring/cog actually looks like. A cog, bytthe way, typically is smaller and has 12-27 teeth on the outer edge. A chainring is a little bigger and can have up to 50 teeth on the outer edge.

Edited by AdventureBear, 16 September 2006 - 11:07 PM.

#48 AdventureBear

AdventureBear

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 11:33 PM

Some other images to give you ideas:

This website has a lot of pittsburgh photos (too big to paste into thread)

http://www.pittsburg...ION=AboutImages

The ones I like are "sculling on the allegheny", "point at dusk", second one titled "pittsburgh", "pittsburgh at night"

Here is a logo from a local organization (I can't figure out what they do), but gets a similar feel across that I like from their website www.proudpittsburgh.com. Also note the little square images on the front page...some bridge ideas, etc:

Attached File  proudpittsburgh_sticker.jpg   112.36KB   117 downloads

Another night skyline with the fountain in teh foreground:

http://p.vtourist.co...-Pittsburgh.jpg

Yet another skyline:
http://pittsburgh.ab...sunrise-300.jpg

And another:
http://z.about.com/d...burgh_2-400.jpg

The "official" gold color is 'close to' Pantone 116 not sure hwo close matty's gold is.
PANTONE 116
C: 0 M: 16 Y: 100 K: 0
R: 252 G: 209 B: 22

Pages and pages of bicycle chainrings:
http://www.bikecult..../chainring.html

Any cool ideas for swim or run graphics? (I think the chainring covers the bike graphic quite well)

OK, enough rambling for now, thanks guys!

Edited by AdventureBear, 16 September 2006 - 11:35 PM.

#49 mattyK

mattyK

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 01:23 AM

MattyK: Words escape me. This is what I love about your designs, they are graphic, bold and simple, while still getting the idea across! I agree the 2nd circle in the cog is distracting, and I love the little windows in the "night version" of the skyline. :D I don't want to offer you any more feedback because I don't want to "break" your ideamaker! If you have any other rearrangements in your brain, they'd be great to see too. Wondering what this logo would look like in a version with a black background (thinking embroidered on a hat), or on a gold background (business card or biking jersey)?

Ya I'll do some more stuff... if you choose mine I'll be happy to try a cool business card and whatever else you need.

One more thing...don't get too distracted by MattyK's version of a cog. It works great with his design. But a bicycle chainring looks a little different, more teeth, scalloped intbetween the teeth, and the inside can have a variety of patterns. I'll see if I can post some pics. I'm not saying I want you to change your cog matt, in the way you used it, but I don't want other to take that idea and get it too far away from what a bicycle chainring/cog actually looks like. A cog, bytthe way, typically is smaller and has 12-27 teeth on the outer edge. A chainring is a little bigger and can have up to 50 teeth on the outer edge.

Ya a bike cog looks more like this guys (sans the clock)... Attached File  rr7.jpg   17.15KB   140 downloads

#50 NothingMan

NothingMan

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Im a logo designer, my expertise is branding. I do templates too, but I suck at coding :). I do little photography as well...:)<br />Thats all

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:30 AM

I made a bicycle gear with an inside pattern consisting of logo initials.
It can be used separately from logo name/text...
Recognizable, easy to remember....

Posted Image

#51 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:58 PM

I got an idea to englobe swimming, bike riding and running

high detail
Posted Image

baner
Posted Image

PS: ah just to you know why a marlin: it's the fastest fish of the world and one of the most fast creatures :)

Edited by Myoto, 17 September 2006 - 09:00 PM.

#52 mattyK

mattyK

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 09:08 PM

lol, marlins rock

but I don't get running out of it (I kinda get fishing more than swimming too... maybe use it for AdventureBear's other contest :))

#53 xis

xis

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:23 PM

aww, and I thought it was the vancouver canucks new team logo.

BTW, I think the mako (sp) shark is the fastest sea creature. Then again a shark isn't a fish, is it.

#54 mattyK

mattyK

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:30 AM

Ya I think a shark is a fish... it has gills...

And I would take anything over the current 'nucks logo... stupid orca bay company using it as self promotion...

#55 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:23 AM

so, what fish would be better? this shark? I saw in Discovery Channel that the marlin can swim in a speed of 100km/h and the only creatuere that is faster is the falcon peregrine

Edited by Myoto, 18 September 2006 - 11:28 AM.

#56 NothingMan

NothingMan

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Im a logo designer, my expertise is branding. I do templates too, but I suck at coding :). I do little photography as well...:)<br />Thats all

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:42 PM

so, what fish would be better? this shark? I saw in Discovery Channel that the marlin can swim in a speed of 100km/h and the only creatuere that is faster is the falcon peregrine

Cheetah: aprox. 120 km/h :blink:
And the falcon, dunno exact name (maybe the one youre talking about) 320 km/h in free fall ;)

Anyways, enough about speedy animals :)

Ive tried to incorporate all 3 disciplines in one simple design...

Posted Image

#57 AdventureBear

AdventureBear

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:16 PM

You guys continue to amaze me. Nothing Man, I like both of your designs for different reasons, but both have a nice simple logo that works with or without the text, and would be instantly recognizable. I like the way you "styled" the running&swimming into the second one.

Myoto, the marlin logo looks great, but won't really work for me. Yes, the symbolism is there and I think it would be a great logo for a club or swim team, but not for me if it has to be explained to clients before they understand what it means.

Nothing man has snuck up into second place now, but really not so far behind Matty! As I've thought the logos over the past 2 days, i like the simplcity of nothingmans circular shaped logos with the text. But I'm still really awed by Matty's designs.

This is a close contest.

I am still workign with one local designer (an art institute student) , so I feel obligated to continue the contest to my original date which was Oct. 1st. If ideas from this board slow down, and my other designer puts in a fw I may close it a week early. BTW, this site will still have a winner as I stated in my origninal post even if I go with my local desinger...alhtough I have a hard time imagning he'll come up with stuff as nice as what's here.

-S

#58 mattyK

mattyK

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:31 PM

Slow down Nothingman, you're making me nervous :)

I'll work on some more ideas this week (I have one already)

#59 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:44 PM

another try
is dificult to get just the idea of athletics or triathlete in a logo.
so I'm using 3 direction stripes to give the idea of movement and triatlete

Posted Image

also, shields have to do with sports, almost every team in the world has a shield as simbol.

#60 NothingMan

NothingMan

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:53 AM

I had a crazy idea and I just couldnt help it :)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users