12 replies to this topic

#1 hound

hound

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:58 PM

Hey all im new here to the forums, but not the site, i come here all the time for help if i get stuck on designing somthing, anyways my name is Anna, and i want to be a web designer. I am not quite sure how i would go on to do this so any information from web designers if there is any on here would be appreciated.

Ok on to my questions for tutorial requests :o, first off i would like to know how to make the "WORLD OF WARCRAFT" Logo text style.

Second, i would like to know how to make a gradient color type effect, like the one on this website, you know the dark tone and light tone of colors, is there like a certain way to get the darker or lighter color to flow with the other like on this site? "Hope that made sence"

And last but certainly not least, colors? colors colors colors! i know when designing website its nice to keep the colors simple"ish" and around the same tone, how do i do this? how do i get colors that match nicely togeather, please dont say it takes time, i been using adobe for 4-5 years now.

Well thanks for reading this and hope many of you can give me advice and help im seeking, dont be afraid to give your imput if your not as good as other people, all is welcome. Thanks.

#2 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:35 PM

First:
After you designed the lettering in Illustrator, can can just use the "layer styles" to make something similar:
Posted Image
(just a variation with the same mountain profile, but diff colors)

Second:
can you be a little more specific bout what you had in mind?
Usually gradients can also be added in the layer effects section, but thats not the only possible way.

Third:
i always have trouble mixing colors: i cheated and bought a book where they have examples. This part is usually a gift: you have it (read: see it) or you dont. I dont :(

#3 hound

hound

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 03:09 PM

Well thanks for the logo thing :P not exactly what i was looking for.

anyways for the gradient thing, i gave you an example ;) this website the banner area, dark blue-going into-lightblue, i was thinking is there a way to like have a normal color, then adding an effect so it works out the best looking darker color to use. like a beval or somthing?

and yeah i can somtimes come up with nice colors but then i get stuck then i cant design my layout :(

please more input from people i really would like this to be a active topic so i can learn! :D :D :D :D

#4 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:11 PM

lol, it wasnt actually meant as logo, just an example to check if that was what you were talking about... guess not,
so for logo part, describe what you're looking for (in more detail: colors, style, look, only text or also frame etc...)

I didnt understand the second part either apparently: i thought...

sry will edit later... home problems, have to go.

Edited by Scythar, 19 October 2006 - 04:16 PM.

#5 hound

hound

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:40 PM

you are like the only person on the forum to help? lol. guess i misgudged this website ^^

#6 Kaos.

Kaos.

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 202 posts
  • Interests:Using different kinds of designing and modeling programs, such as 3d studio max (still learnin), photoshop, flash etc. I play video games, mohaa, cod, cs:s, hit me up on xfire if you wanna play (xpinkmonkeyx). I also like goin out doors, playing hockey, football, basketball, and going paintballin'.

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:12 PM

i was thinking is there a way to like have a normal color, then adding an effect so it works out the best looking darker color to use. like a beval or somthing?

I've not quite understood what you are trying to say..

What do you mean by having a normal colour?

#7 hound

hound

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:43 AM

like a normal color, like blue, red, green, white, then adding a effect and it working out the darker blue/red/greed, so you have like a gradient

#8 SatanicPenguins

SatanicPenguins

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Photoshop, Web Design, Graphic Design, Internet.

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:48 PM

Use the color black and set it to soft light? or overlay? depending on the tone you're wanting? also not quite sure what you're asking.

#9 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:56 PM

Sry for the delay... daughter problems (she's 5y old, i am holding my breath for when she turns into a teenager)

k, i suppose something like this...
(i exagerated the effect, but there are 1000 of more subtle effects, dont worry, just tell me exacly what you want to learn... metal, plastic, toothpaste...)

Posted Image

Am i getting close here?

#10 hound

hound

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 05:51 AM

lol, she going to be a nightmare for you i can tell :P, anyways this is the type of text effect i want Posted Image
the Warcraft bit.

and for the gradient i mean Posted Image this is the gradient i mean, the dark blue, to light blue.

#11 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:33 PM

aha, i see, we are talking bout two totally different things here,
i finally get it, k,
i am a teacher, i am slow... what more need i say.
k, i'll see what i can find.

#12 hound

hound

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 01:10 PM

a teacher at your daughters school? she is going to have a hard time, so give her support if thats the case :love:, and thanks for your help, you seem to be the only one helping me so its appreciated

#13 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 22 October 2006 - 01:18 PM

She's 5,
i teach to students with an average age of 16 - 20y old.

Few years ago: physics / chemistry / Informatics
Last 2 years mathematics / Informatics
This year : Informatics and something called PAV which i cant translate (it goes from learning them to write a letter to finding something on the internet).

EDIT:
k, since i dislike the effect on the text, i made another one. This one is not particularly prittier, but...
it's got many of the possibilities you can make in the "layer styles" menu. I didnt do anything else then just added layerstyles, so if you're interested i just explaine how i did this one step by step (layer option by layer option) and then you can try to alter the settings yourself to get an original text effect, unlike just copying an effect that's ugly and way overdone. The effect on Warcraft started out like you see here, but there was postwork done, and I... well erm... did i already mention i hate it... :love:

anywayz, here's the compilation of effects:
Posted Image

Effects used:
1. i changed something in the blending options, because i thought it was important, but it wasnt lol;
2. standard drop shadow added --> not important here;
3. inner glow added, to give the lettering a yellowish edge (9 px) and choked it a little (6 px) to let it stand out more.
4. Inner bevel, chisel hard and big distance to get that sharp edge in the middle (40 px), afterwards i changed the lighting (explain another time) to get a more shiny look (98/53° instead of global light)
5. used contour 50% to get ride a little of the textures i used
6. added a rust texture in this bevel effect to get well erm.. a textured type ("pitted") scaled it down a little.
7. added a satin effect to get a more darker, bloomy (actually dont think this is an english word ;) ) feel.
8. added a pattern overlay (same rust texture) --> actually started here, so i could see what i was doing, since this was the base of the type.
9. since i didnt like that texture completely i also added a yellow to orange gradient overlay in soft light layer mode.

Thats it.

Edited by Scythar, 22 October 2006 - 02:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users