28 replies to this topic

#1 Disturbed

Disturbed

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 05:08 AM

Discription: With this tutorial you'll learn to create a signature with a Tech look.
Time needed: Approx. 15-25 minutes.
Experience: Intermediate - Advanced.

We're going to open up a new document:

Posted Image

You don't have to use these settings, just use anything you like, any size. After we've made our new image, we're going to start with the tutorial.

Step 1
Fill the background layer with a solid black. Name this layer 'Border' or something similar. This we're going to use for our border. Once you've filled it up, grab the polygonal lasso tool. Now simply make a selection like the one I have made below:

Posted Image

Now press CTRL+SHIFT+I to inverse the selection. Press the delete tool. You should have something like below:

Posted Image

Select the layer again with CTRL+CLICK on the layer. Now go to Select->Modify->Contract. I always use something around 2-6 for my signatures. 4 is good, that's what I use mostly. Press ok and then hit the delete key once more. You should have something like below:

Posted Image

Step 2
Find yourself a nice background image you can use. We've got some located in our downloads section so you should be able to find one you like. You need to register to view the downloads section though. Paste it below the border layer. Name this layer background. Now select your border layer again:

Posted Image

Select your Magic Wand Tool or just simply press 'W'. While still having the border layer selected click somewhere in the middle of the image to get something like below:

Posted Image

Now select your background image layer and then hit CTRL+SHIFT+I to inverse the selection. Now press delete and you should have something like below:

Posted Image

Press CTRL+U to colorize your background image. You can choose anything you like. I'm going to use the following:

Posted Image

Now apply a nice style to your border image. You can download some styles in our download section.

Step 3
We're going to add some Tech brushes to our image. Make a new layer above your background layer. NAme it Tech Style. Now get your favorite tech brushes and apply them to the layer. Use white as your foreground color. Change the opacity a bit to let's say 50%-70% and you should and up having something like below:

Posted Image

Now we're going to repeat the 'Magic Want Tool' from step 2. Press 'W', select your border layer and click somewhere in the middle of the image. Press CTRL+SHIFT+I and then select your tech style layer. Hit the delete key. This is to prevent having your image look sloppy on other backgrounds then white.

Step 4
We're going to add a nice image to our signature. Get one you like and paste it above or below the tech style layer, just what you like more. Now select your lasso tool and make a selection just around your image. We're going to blend it into the background. When you've selected your image, you should have something like this:

Posted Image

Now press CTRL+ALT+D and enter a value between 10-30. Press ok. Now click on 'add layer mask' in the layers pallette:

Posted Image

Change the layer's blend mode to 'luminosity':

Posted Image

Move the image to some place you like it best. Now we're going to repeat the 'Magic Wand Tool' step one more time. Select your border layer and click somewhere in the middle of the image. Press CTRL+SHIFT+I and then select your image layer. Hit the delete key. You should end up with having something like below:

Posted Image

Now we can blend it in more with using the feather technique. Select your elleptical marquee tool and set the feather to somewhat between 10-30. Now just make a small selection on the image and move the selection to the outer sides of the image you want to blend in more:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hit delete one or two times and repeat this step untill your satisfied.

Step 5
We're going to add some text here. Select the text tool and type something you want, your name for example. Add a nice style to the text and you're done! You should end up with something like this*:

Posted Image

*Optional. You can merge all the layers except the border layer. Press the little eye next to the border image to make it invisible. Now press CTRL+SHIFT+E to merge the visible images. Go to blending options and add some bevel to it. It should look like below:

Posted Image

If you found this tutorial usefull or if you have any comments or questions, post them below. If you've followed this tutorial and ended up with something nice then show it to us aswell!

©Copyright Disturbed

#2 Long

Long

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 06:41 PM

awesome... very nice tutorial

#3 AJM_007

AJM_007

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Computer graphics, animation both 3D and 2D.

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:39 AM

Yeah, very nice dude. Like ya sig atm, the blue 1 - looks good!

#4 Disturbed

Disturbed

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:32 PM

Thanks, I've written another tech sig tutorial, it should be here somewhere. Anyways thanks for the nice comments :lol:

#5 Ass-evo-

Ass-evo-

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:32 PM

took me like 15 min, this is my 1st sig ever, well my 1st tech sig

nice tut, very self explanitory

#6 Disturbed

Disturbed

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:47 PM

Yeah it's a little hard to add some good deatils to the borders thought if you never done that yet.. but it's easy to learn.

#7 knight33

knight33

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 02:41 PM

Oh dude DONT host tuts on Photobucket. The bandwidth is ludicrously small. Use Imageshack <_<

#8 .iCY7.

.iCY7.

Simplicity With A Twist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 02:47 PM

Oh dude DONT host tuts on Photobucket. The bandwidth is ludicrously small. Use Imageshack ^_^

yay imageshack <_< or www.unrealgfx.net 50mb space and unlimited bandwidth

#9 Soldja

Soldja

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 01:39 PM

hey distrubed sorry to be a pain
but i cant see any of the pic's
could ya host on something else please
thanx :D

#10 MAXAiR

MAXAiR

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:25 AM

Select the layer again with CTRL+CLICK on the layer. Now go to Select->Modify->Contract. I always use something around 2-6 for my signatures. 4 is good, that's what I use mostly. Press ok and then hit the delete key once more.

some 1 explain this step... i dont understand it

#11 LOVERBOY

LOVERBOY

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 08:05 PM

wooow
gr8 one man
thanx alot
anfd go on :)

#12 Gods_Gift

Gods_Gift

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 01:25 PM

very nice tut but I need those tech brushes and I know this sounds stupid but I can't find the download section :o :unsure: :P Can some1 give me a link plz??

#13 Disturbed

Disturbed

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 02:21 PM

http://www.d-designs.rocks.it

You need to register to view the downloads tho...

#14 Gods_Gift

Gods_Gift

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 03:03 PM

Thx 4 the link, I was looking 4 those brushes a long time

#15 Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 05:04 AM

Hey -
Would someone be able to provide another link for tech brushes as the above link isn't working ... :rolleyes:

#16 .iCY7.

.iCY7.

Simplicity With A Twist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 09:14 AM

Hey -
Would someone be able to provide another link for tech brushes as the above link isn't working ... :rolleyes:

www.google.com type in deviant art tech brushes

#17 Bad Kitty

Bad Kitty

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 08:37 PM

Thanks dude :D

#18 Hell)Blazer

Hell)Blazer

Young Padawan