Photo
- - - - -

Generating Web Income - How to start off..?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 magneto_m

magneto_m

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:53 AM

Hi,

I am quite new to the concept of generating income online. I am mainly a graphic designer with some degree of knowledge of html as well as flash. But I have limited knowledge of coding using languages like php. I am looking to start my own website and slowly try to build up a decent income through adsense.

I believe I have a decent idea for a website. And if all it required was just a an html of flash site I would have no trouble in bringing up a good site. But after going through many articles on the topic, I believe that interactivity and provision of dynamic content is a necessity to draw in good audience. This means that I would require my site to allow users to post their comments to articles and also have forums. And ideally it should have some database capability too. I am wondering how I can achieve this.

I am initially planning to have a wallpaper site.

(something similar to this: http://www.santabanta.com/wallpapers/)
Then think of adding other sections to the site as the site develops.
Can I start off such a site with minimal scripting knowledge ? Are standard scripts available for galleries..?

I need to start from scratch (right from the issue of buying a domain). I am wondering if there is any package for beginners . One in which I would not need any scripting knowledge to plugin forums and article submission features. Is there any standard package that is offered by hosting companies that I would find easy to start off and modify later..?

Would appreciate your help...

Edited by magneto_m, 11 January 2007 - 07:55 AM.

#2 mwookie

mwookie

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:26 PM

There is soo much code out there that it is really amazing what you can do without much coding knowledge. For starters you might look at CMS (Content Management System) like Joomla. They now only handle articles, etc, but can be extended with forums, e-Commerce, etc.

I used to make each website from scratch. While I do a lot of PHP work, I realized that there is no need to re-invent the wheel. If a CMS will do 80% of the work, thenI just have to write some extensions to it and I am done.

This is actually an entirely different skill all together. I guess it would be called skinning because you want to take the site and make it look like its custom.

#3 magneto_m

magneto_m

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:20 AM

any idea whether the script used in the site that i posted is some standard package or customly developed..?

As I have no programming experience, would i be better off using standard photo galleries like coppermine or 4images..?

#4 mwookie

mwookie

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 03:05 PM

I don't see anything on this site that is very "custom". I think many of the availible gallery programs could pull it off. You might check out Menalto Gallery 2.

#5 rus321

rus321

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:36 PM

Hi there,

I was thinking of starting something similar, maybe we could work something out add me on msn: [email protected]

#6 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:02 AM

I personally love plogger.

#7 austen

austen

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:Web design, snowboarding (lots of it), Computer science related.

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:53 PM

I have worked with this, and I would recommend it as well.

-austen :P

#8 Ovidiu

Ovidiu

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:05 PM

Wow... plogger is the best. So easy to work with. Thanks :laugh:

Edited by Ovidiu, 02 June 2007 - 01:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users