13 replies to this topic

#1 Clandestine

Clandestine

* Forum Police *

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:40 AM

is it worth paying for? Or just get a free one. I currently have phpBB and was woundering if it would be better to upgrade to vbulletin

#2 Arcturus

Arcturus

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:34 AM

Only if you buy a lifetime license.

#3 Clandestine

Clandestine

* Forum Police *

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:36 PM

I looked at the prices and OMG its expensive.

#4 danh111

danh111

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 10:00 AM

ive got vbulletin, its a bit expensive yes, but i would say its worth it if you get over 1000 members, this is what i think you should pick if you have the following members

phpbb - 50-200 members
IPB - 200-1000 members
Vbulletin - 1000+ members

i think vbulletin is for bigger companies though

dan

#5 Clandestine

Clandestine

* Forum Police *

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:43 AM

Hows SMF?

#6 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:59 AM

SMF is great, it's not quite on par with IPB/vB but it's a good free alternative. Certainly better than phpbb.

Best way is to do a quick install and try it out yourself, do the same with MyBB if you do.

#7 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:22 PM

is it worth paying for? Or just get a free one. I currently have phpBB and was woundering if it would be better to upgrade to vbulletin

If you stay on phpBB stay up with the security updates and you should be right, theres lots of free alternatives for forum software and really the final choice is upto you and what you want it for.

ive got vbulletin, its a bit expensive yes, but i would say its worth it if you get over 1000 members, this is what i think you should pick if you have the following members

phpbb - 50-200 members
IPB - 200-1000 members

dan

:) Based on what facts with VB and IPB? I'm a member on several IPB Forums with well over 100,000 members and always several thousand online the same with VB Forums, only difference I have noticed is IPB loads a lot quicker than VB and handles heavy traffic better of course a lot goes back to your server stats and setup but telling someone IPB is only good for 1000 members is really bad advice.

#8 Clandestine

Clandestine

* Forum Police *

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 02:39 PM

I wont be getting up to the 1000 mark, but probably 500 max. So i was thinking SMF

#9 danh111

danh111

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:12 PM

:lol: Based on what facts with VB and IPB? I'm a member on several IPB Forums with well over 100,000 members and always several thousand online the same with VB Forums, only difference I have noticed is IPB loads a lot quicker than VB and handles heavy traffic better of course a lot goes back to your server stats and setup but telling someone IPB is only good for 1000 members is really bad advice.

ive found in my opinion, i didnt mean to mislead anyone on here and sorry if i did, but usually i see all these big companies and mainly hosting companies with over 1000 use vbulletin, i very rarely see IPB much these days, as i said it was in my opinion

im not arguing with you but i said

this is what i think you should pick if you have the following members

This means this person does not have to take my advice, but i can see your point

Good luck with it !

cheers
dan

Edited by danh111, 14 January 2007 - 04:15 PM.

#10 U1

U1

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 04:52 PM

SMF = sql + rfi's = No
IPB = sql's = No
PHPBB = sql's + rfi's = No
vB = YES

For various reasons i pick vB, by experience vB has always been more secure the rest are a no no in that sense unless you are security minded, im not saying there hackable at this present with the latest versions but they are most targeted and will become exploitable at some point again, as theres always someone working in the background! ;P

Edited by Unknown1, 19 January 2007 - 04:52 PM.

#11 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Programming, Storm Chasing, Games (Designing and playing), Hockey, Photography

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:32 PM

phpbb - 50-200 members
IPB - 200-1000 members

dan

I think you have it wrong, people don't just come to forums because of what type they are using. They come because of the community and the look of the forums.

dEcade

Edited by dEcade, 19 January 2007 - 05:33 PM.

#12 mwookie

mwookie

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:38 AM

SMF is great, it's not quite on par with IPB/vB but it's a good free alternative. Certainly better than phpbb.

Best way is to do a quick install and try it out yourself, do the same with MyBB if you do.

I have used phpBB in the past and it used to be pretty good (comparitively), but it has slipped behind. If they get their new 3.0 version out, I think it has come a long way toward catching up. Everything is availible in 2.0, but it has to be modded like crazy! I need to install a new forum system soon, and I think I will go with SMF just because it is availible now.

#13 danh111

danh111

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:28 PM

phpbb - 50-200 members
IPB - 200-1000 members

dan

I think you have it wrong, people don't just come to forums because of what type they are using. They come because of the community and the look of the forums.

dEcade

No, i am saying it adds to it though, as they have more features on some of the forum software

i would say IPB and Vbulletin are the best though :whistle:

#14 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:18 PM

i would say IPB and Vbulletin are the best though :whistle:

I would agree with you there but I would pick IPB over VB any day, I hate how vb is set up.

Hoot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users