120 replies to this topic

#1 DijonWolfie

DijonWolfie

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:16 AM

Winner receives: £40.00 sterling via PayPal. (Approx $75.00-80.00 US)
Credit & Link on Visionarygaming site.

Any details below are subject to change.
Contest ends: 26th January 2007 5th February
Accepted formats: Photoshop (.psd) with intact layers or .esp(f) for Vector images.
Company:
Visionary Gaming (New Startup)
Visionary Gaming aims to become a fore-runner in community lead freelance gaming development. This will entail reviewing & promotion of up & coming games from free-lance or community lead games developers & Modding communities as well as being a Hub for those with a love of gaming.
To this end I am opening up the floor to develop a logo that best shows enthusiasm for gaming, a highly difficult task I understand! I envisage the logo to incorporate a "simple" character of some sort, however the design & Colour scheme is upto you! Please aim for a Web2.0 feel though, this will not be a website dominated by screen-shots of BF2 or Call of Duty used to make banners!

I reserver the right to not declare a winner if I feel the designs are not upto the quality required, however judging by the work I see here daily, that shouldn't be a problem!

Edited by DijonWolfie, 24 January 2007 - 04:59 PM.

#2 d2Squared

d2Squared

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Interests:Swimmig<br />Web-design<br />Starcraft

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:42 AM

I am in

#3 Ben

Ben

P2L Jedi Master

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:35 PM

Same here. But do you think you could allow .eps formats aswell, for vector logo's? Because I don't use Photoshop to make my logo's.

Ben.

#4 gotfrap

gotfrap

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:05 PM

Im in!

Is there a limit on contest entries?

#5 DijonWolfie

DijonWolfie

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:24 PM

.Eps is fine, and you can make as many entries as you feel you can muster! I have updated the first post to reflect this.

#6 Ben

Ben

P2L Jedi Master

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:54 AM

.Eps is fine

Oh ok, I just thought since you wanted the layers.. ah nevermind :)

Anyway, here is my first try:
Attached File  visionarygaming.jpg   26.52KB   144 downloads

Ben.

Edited by d4rkst0n3, 18 January 2007 - 02:57 AM.

#7 DijonWolfie

DijonWolfie

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:04 AM

Ben.

Very nice, I do enjoy striking colours, and the green is definitely suits that, however I would like the logo to be something very much conclusive of the site. I want people to look at the image and to think of Visionary Gaming, but this is a step in the right direction!

#8 Ben

Ben

P2L Jedi Master

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:14 AM

Ben.

Very nice, I do enjoy striking colours, and the green is definitely suits that, however I would like the logo to be something very much conclusive of the site. I want people to look at the image and to think of Visionary Gaming, but this is a step in the right direction!

Thankyou for the feedback, much appreciated, but I'm having trouble thinking of something other than colsole related. I realise it's a game reviewing site (well, basically), but I honestly cannot think of anything that could represent that. Though I will continue drawing concepts :)

#9 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:15 AM

Would there be a site design anywhere that we can look at? Just so we can figure out which way to go about the logo.

#10 DijonWolfie

DijonWolfie

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:27 AM

@d4rkst0n3
Mnyeah.. Not really a game review site, more of a assistance to freelance, 3rd party or open-source gaming communities working on Mods or New Games based on the free PC engines such as Source & the Quake derivatives. What I really want is something linking Vision for games & Visions for the future of gaming. Where as the modern main stream gaming media is stuck in a bit of a rut (Gears of war, Battlefield 2142, BF2, Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare are all based on the same premise) 3rd party & groups who give there time freely to the developing of games & game mods are pushing the boundaries of what we expect from free/open source games. Think Gary's Mod or Day Of Defeat, which where designed on the freely available source engine, not retro console.

@Bug There is currently no design, but I am envisaging a light site, however if there is a logo I like that for me captures the essence of Vision into gaming I will be using it as a corner stone to the site.

#11 Ben

Ben

P2L Jedi Master

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:23 AM

@d4rkst0n3
Mnyeah.. Not really a game review site, more of a assistance to freelance, 3rd party or open-source gaming communities working on Mods or New Games based on the free PC engines such as Source & the Quake derivatives. What I really want is something linking Vision for games & Visions for the future of gaming. Where as the modern main stream gaming media is stuck in a bit of a rut (Gears of war, Battlefield 2142, BF2, Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare are all based on the same premise) 3rd party & groups who give there time freely to the developing of games & game mods are pushing the boundaries of what we expect from free/open source games. Think Gary's Mod or Day Of Defeat, which where designed on the freely available source engine, not retro console.

Ok thankyou for the response, this helped me :)

EDIT: Ok here's another logo. From your response though I still don't think I've covered completely what you want. Anyway, here it is:
Attached File  visualgaming2.jpg   40.99KB   128 downloads
EDIT: Sorrynow it says visionary, not visual :)

Edited by d4rkst0n3, 18 January 2007 - 05:22 PM.

#12 DijonWolfie

DijonWolfie

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:43 AM

Again, very good, but you are correct, you are skirting around the edges, but in a graphically excellent way!
I like the way you have moved towards integrating text & the logo, which is appealing to me

Discussing this with colleagues I think a good euphemism for what we are looking for is not to think "Xbox -> Xbox 360" but more towards "Gamecube -> Wii". The continual evolution & morphing of games. Morphing is perhaps a keyword in this as it ties in nicely with modification & Evolution apparent in community environments. If you are looking for inspiration looking at these sites:

Gary's Mod is perhaps the most well known Source Mod, now commercially succesful.
Danger From the deep is a beautifully made submarine Simulator and a real set-piece for what Open Source gaming can achieve. (When is the last time you saw Alpha games that look THAT good!).
Sauerbraten 2 is an excellent benchmark for open source FPS's built on the Cube Engine.

But remember we are looking for clean & smart!
As you can see these games are amazing quality for what are essentially amateur teams, who do this purely for the love of gaming. If these games got even more notability so more and more people got into this area of gaming, then the quality could easily surpass that of the corporations. Look at Firefox to see what open-source can do to challenge companies as large as Microsoft!

Edited by DijonWolfie, 18 January 2007 - 06:49 AM.

#13 Ben

Ben

P2L Jedi Master

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:50 AM

Again, very good, but you are correct, you are skirting around the edges, but in a graphically excellent way!
I like the way you have moved towards integrating text & the logo, which is appealing to me

Discussing this with colleagues I think a good euphemism for what we are looking for is not to think "Xbox -> Xbox 360" but more towards "Gamecube -> Wii". The continual evolution & morphing of games. Morphing is perhaps a keyword in this as it ties in nicely with modification & Evolution apparent in community environments. If you are looking for inspiration looking at these sites:

Gary's Mod is perhaps the most well known Source Mod, now commercially succesful.
Danger From the deep is a beautifully made submarine Simulator and a real set-piece for what Open Source gaming can achieve. (When is the last time you saw Alpha games that look THAT good!).

But remember we are looking for clean & smart!

Although your responsonses are very detailed, which I thank you for, I'm still not actually getting any ideas for a logo that could incorporate something like evolution in such a small logo. I will keep trying though :)

#14 DijonWolfie

DijonWolfie

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:55 AM

As I mentioned in my first post, I would like this logo to perhaps be a simple character, constructed from simple forms, which would convey how gaming is moving from a 2d flat image, to an increasingly interactive medium. I would use Marvin, from the movie Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy as a good example of this.
Perhaps a character/robot constructed from an obvious Computer peripheral?

Edited by DijonWolfie, 18 January 2007 - 08:36 AM.

#15 Ben

Ben

P2L Jedi Master

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:25 PM

Trying to make it look like gamecube's logo:
Attached File  visionarygaming3.jpg   30.26KB   220 downloads

#16 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:56 PM

Wow, I'm really liking that concept of yours, Darkstone - Very nice - that 3D 'V' is very effective!

#17 Daniel D

Daniel D

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:38 AM

As usual, great logos dark!

I have only opened illustrator once or twice since I "bought" the Adobe Suite.

I just need some decent tutorials for it which I can't find.. lol.

#18 Ben

Ben

P2L Jedi Master

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:42 AM

As usual, great logos dark!

I have only opened illustrator once or twice since I "bought" the Adobe Suite.

I just need some decent tutorials for it which I can't find.. lol.

Thanks, let's hope I can finally win one ;)

As for decent tutorials for beginners, try here:
http://www.graphic-d...ls/0403-15.html

Edited by d4rkst0n3, 19 January 2007 - 01:43 AM.

#19 DijonWolfie

DijonWolfie

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:58 AM

Thankyou D4rk, this is much more what we where looking for, however I would very much like to see some more interest in this competition! I understand if people feel they have a week left and that will be plenty of time, but I urge people not to wait until the end of the Comp! The prize of this isn't just the £40/$80USD but also accreditation on the site! Although that last point is usual rather mute for new start-ups it is probably good to consider I already have large input & am well recognised within this field and this website is being awaited with hungry eyes! So come on lads & Ladies, I would like to see some more attempts, and as you can see I am not adversed to people submitting 5-6 designs and I will attempt to give feedback to everyone I receive without being negative!

#20 Ben

Ben

P2L Jedi Master

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:06 AM

Thankyou D4rk, this is much more what we where looking for, however I would very much like to see some more interest in this competition! I understand if people feel they have a week left and that will be plenty of time, but I urge people not to wait until the end of the Comp! The prize of this isn't just the £40/$80USD but also accreditation on the site! Although that last point is usual rather mute for new start-ups it is probably good to consider I already have large input & am well recognised within this field and this website is being awaited with hungry eyes! So come on lads & Ladies, I would like to see some more attempts, and as you can see I am not adversed to people submitting 5-6 designs and I will attempt to give feedback to everyone I receive without being negative!

You know I am quite surprised I am the only one who has entered so far. Usually competitions like these get a lot of entries.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users