• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jacorre

Jacorre

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Technology, Internet, Graphic/Web Design, Music, Soccer

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:22 PM

I was just watching the news today and they were showing a Rubix Cube competition. The record is like 10 seconds to solve the puzzle! Damn, now that's fast! I wanted to see if I could create a rubix cube so I got to designing. Didn't take me 10 seconds but I got it!

Posted Image

I know you're thinking, what's the big deal it's just squares. I thought it was how I did that was pretty cool. I used the Split into Grid, Shear, and Rotate options in Illustrator to achieve my results.

#2 Ben

Ben

P2L Jedi Master

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:50 PM

Well I can't say much about the design, but it's cool that you're learning the tools of your program. A good practise.

Wow 10 seconds? That's quick. I've seen a rubix cube video on youtube a while ago, it was pretty damn fast.

#3 bay

bay

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:57 PM

Hm, except for that you can't have a white edge to a white edge, it looks great :D I think the official name is Ruibiks cube too :D

#4 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:17 PM

The top doesn't look quite right to me, supposed to be flatter not pointy.

Theres a few tutorials floating around the web how to create them and PanosFX has an action that creates really neat ones here I used that to do the one in the P2L birthday thread http://www.pixel2lif...showtopic=29973

#5 Jacorre

Jacorre

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:51 PM

I made it isometric so maybe that's why the top looks weird. I think the official site is Rubixs.com so I think I got the spelling right?!

#6 legendaryfox

legendaryfox

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:56 PM

Yeah, world record is like 10.12 seconds for Rubik's cube. My PB was like 37.34 seconds, average out at 58 seconds :| All it takes a little training really.

but anyway, about the piece, if you really want some detail, on the scrambled one you have a corner with 2 greens and an edge piece with 2 whites. For a standard cube, the color schema is:

top=white
bottom=yellow
sides(clockwise, with white on top): green, red, blue, orange.

That's usually the color schema on a standard cube. Also, if you *really* want to be nitpicky (sorry, i'm just a Rubik's cube fan >_>), there's a logo on the center white piece.

nice job though overall, i like it :D

edit: oh yeah, it's spelled "Rubik's", not "Rubix" - going to rubixs.com redirects you to Rubiks.com ;)

Edited by legendaryfox, 18 January 2007 - 05:57 PM.

#7 Jacorre

Jacorre

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:00 PM

I didn't even notice rubix.com actually went to rubiks.com! Thanks for all the info about the cube too, didn't even know that!

#8 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Programming, Storm Chasing, Games (Designing and playing), Hockey, Photography

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:21 PM

It looks good I think the colors are to bright though.

#9 d4o2

d4o2

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:46 PM

I was just watching the news today and they were showing a Rubix Cube competition. The record is like 10 seconds to solve the puzzle! Damn, now that's fast! I wanted to see if I could create a rubix cube so I got to designing. Didn't take me 10 seconds but I got it!

Posted Image

I know you're thinking, what's the big deal it's just squares. I thought it was how I did that was pretty cool. I used the Split into Grid, Shear, and Rotate options in Illustrator to achieve my results.

Very nice design, i like it.. i also have a rubix cube near me ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users