• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:49 AM

I can't take it anymore... there is just not enough support for Vista and I am going insane. I still can't convert to DIVX movies because the Divs converter doesn't have Vista support, the video suport still sucks and I can't watch movies fullscreen without chop and I've still got crap on my laptop that I can't find drivers for. Now my Corel app won't work properly and my registry appears to be pooched because when I load up the application list (the place in cpanel where you go to uninstall applications), half the apps don't show up, and those that do have no icons. I've got some weird crashing, and I still geta BSD any time I try to run Symantec's liveupdate. And the icing on the cake... Winamp has suddenly decided to stop playing shoutcast feeds.

So that's it, I'm done... Cyas in a couple hours with XP.

Dan

#2 CrazedLlama

CrazedLlama

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Music, Guitar, Basketball

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:50 AM

I agree im a big fan of XP only thing vista has is a better apearence.

#3 Will0wz

Will0wz

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:00 AM

ive never even used vista and from reading the reviews of it i don't think i even guna try! someone should make XP with a vista interface :(

#4 Av-

Av-

I Feel Left Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:04 AM

Been there, done that. Believe me, you won't regret it :(

#5 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:06 AM

just make XP look like vista and your good :(

#6 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 12:07 PM

I can't take it anymore... there is just not enough support for Vista and I am going insane.

lol Dan you were already insane before Vista :P

Probably too late but have a read of http://forum.videohe...opic323373.html dunno if that's of any help to you.

I'm using Ultimate and able to watch full screen movies so you could have a setting wrong, what player are you using?

Try Vista manager as it has a kewl registry cleaner http://www.yamicsoft...ager/index.html

you can also Disable Automatic Restart to Read Blue Screen Messages, I've had a couple and don't even get to see what they say lol

http://vistasupport....en_messages.htm

#7 CAMILLUS

CAMILLUS

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 02:26 PM

ha... i wanted to upgrade my xp to vista.. but now u guys have mentioned that.. it doesnt really support DIVx... well i think ill stay on xp.. :P.. have been using xp for 7 years :)

#8 CrazedLlama

CrazedLlama

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Music, Guitar, Basketball

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:53 PM

ha... i wanted to upgrade my xp to vista.. but now u guys have mentioned that.. it doesnt really support DIVx... well i think ill stay on xp.. :D .. have been using xp for 7 years :D

im pretty sure XP hasen't been out there for 7years maybe 4 but not 7. Might be wrong.

#9 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 03:56 PM

Can't blame you. I don't hate vista, but im not exactly gagging for it. I like something to work and work fast which the graphic options do prevent (i know they can be disabled).

My problem is when buying a new laptop, do i look for good specifications and hope that what's good by my standards to run more demanding software under xp is still the same, or do i downgrade. Mmmm decisions decisions :D

edit: XP has been out just under 6 years.

Matt

Edited by Matthew., 30 May 2007 - 03:57 PM.

#10 _*Creative Insanity_*

_*Creative Insanity_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:28 PM

I am really cracking up once again.
Since the release of Vista I have said it was crap (the release of that was what made my mind up to buy a Mac), and so many people told me how wonderful it was and they could do all these cool things on it. But then when I ask them to run a game or even one of the old XP apps the shit hit the fan.
Now after a few weeks all these people that told me how wonderful vista was are now all back on XP.
But I thought you said it was so wonderful.
Yeah it looks nice and all that.. but that is as far as it goes.. unlike Mac Vista just doesn't work. MS has done some stupid things in the past, but this has got to be the biggest blunder ever.

#11 xXx-Treme

xXx-Treme

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photoshop, Parkour, Buildering, Rock Climbing, Adrenaline, Extreme sports, Extreme lifestyle

Posted 30 May 2007 - 04:46 PM

Well... I'm also a fan of XP... Yeah vista has got all these shiny GUI and stuf... But it is actually a waste of resources. IMHO opsys needs to be simple and use as low resources as possible, so it is possible to but more on applications. I tried vista on my bro's pc, as it needed a format anyway, he used it for about 2 days and then nearly begged me to but XP on again. Most of pople I know who started using vista as a first impression, that it is new and stuff, they just hate it... :D
So I'll stay on XP until it is possbile :D

#12 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:14 PM

Can't blame you. I don't hate vista, but im not exactly gagging for it. I like something to work and work fast which the graphic options do prevent (i know they can be disabled).

My problem is when buying a new laptop, do i look for good specifications and hope that what's good by my standards to run more demanding software under xp is still the same, or do i downgrade. Mmmm decisions decisions :D

edit: XP has been out just under 6 years.

Matt

I got a new PC 2wks ago it came pre installed with premium had it upgraded to Ultimate, I've had no probs except ones caused by myself by putting old software back on and forgetting to update drivers which will cause those lovely blue screens. :D

Yeah it looks nice and all that.. but that is as far as it goes.. unlike Mac Vista just doesn't work. MS has done some stupid things in the past, but this has got to be the biggest blunder ever.

Strange mine works quite well, people using old XP applications are just asking for problems they already pre warned us not everything is Vista compatable.

#13 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:18 PM

Strange mine works quite well, people using old XP applications are just asking for problems they already pre warned us not everything is Vista compatable.

Thank you, Donna!! I was waiting for someone to step up and say that!

I love Vista, too. I turned quite a bit of the useless system resources off and it runs heaps fast ( Start >> Run >> type 'msconfig' ). I'm also dual booting Vista and XP - so, I still have both lovely OSs :D

Oh, and so far, I haven't had any problems with Vista either.

Edited by Bug, 30 May 2007 - 05:18 PM.

#14 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:18 PM

Have you seen Microsoft's profits from vista recently? It is certainly not a mistake for them.

I''ll probably keep Vista on anything i get, because it is quite nice if nothing more than a visual change, just might go for something a little higher spec :D

Matt

Edited by Matthew., 30 May 2007 - 05:20 PM.

#15 _*Creative Insanity_*

_*Creative Insanity_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:23 PM

I was not looking from their point of view, but rather the poor sucker that forks out all that money. I mean $NZ800 for Ultimate. For something as simple as an OS!

#16 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:36 PM

Mmm i don't agree. I don't think it's cheap, but considering the amount of time that undeniably does go into development and the fact we rely on Windows so much we would pay through the nose for it...I think they could be charging more.

I'm not completely denying the fact it is expensive though.

Matt

Edited by Matthew., 30 May 2007 - 05:39 PM.

#17 α∂αмяoss

α∂αмяoss

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Interests:football, Manchester Utd., coding, web developement, business, girls and warcraft.

Posted 30 May 2007 - 05:39 PM

Vista looks nice but iŽll wait before i get it ... xp is doing just fine

#18 _*Creative Insanity_*

_*Creative Insanity_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2007 - 08:31 PM

That is where you are wrong Matt.
Linux and wine are free and if you know what you are doing or with a little bit of learning you can do anything you want on Linux as you can on windows and for free.

In my view MS want to concentrate on making sure their products work before they release them instead of trying to look and act like another OS. They will never get the look or functionality which is mac for the simple reason is that Mac is made from a rock solid backbone OS (UNIX) and windows is made up of a bunch of dodgy dll files and all the other stuff that causes windows to be windows. So as soon as they realise that they might just get the picture.

#19 Hayden

Hayden

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 10:30 PM

Have you ever tried xVid?

Originally a DivX plugin for linux, later ported over for use in windows. Last I used it, it's just a good as the one from divx.com but no spyware.

you'll also notice xVid is divx backwards. lol

#20 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 03:40 AM

im with donna on this one... i am yet to have a problem on vista.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users