• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Archangel

Archangel

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Interests:Reading (mainly fantasy books), Gaming (Xbox 360, Wii & PS3), Sports, Outdoor Recreation, Watching/Collecting Movies

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:10 PM

The desktop I'm currently running at home is about 3 - 4 years old and is starting to give me issues. It locks up if it sits idle for more than 5 minutes among other things...not to mention I can't even install CS3 on it b/c it doesn't have a gig of ram (didn't realize this till AFTER I bought it :( ).

So...I've just made the decision instead of dropping a bunch of money into upgrade parts I'm just going to buy a new system. I'm going to get a Dell and I'm actually kinda excited b/c along with the system will come a 19" Flat Panel (w00t!). The catch...it comes with Windows Vista. I've heard pros and cons all over...people having issues (such as Dan) and people not having any at all (such as Donna).

So...wish me luck! I think It'll get here in about a week and a half.

#2 CAMILLUS

CAMILLUS

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:12 PM

wish u gud luck on getting the new device!.. and that's a pretty nie device ur getting now :(

#3 Will0wz

Will0wz

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:18 PM

Good luck with it mate. You can always downgrade back to XP if you got the boot up disks n e ways :S ?

#4 albinoAZN

albinoAZN

Albinos Are Extinct!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:00 PM

I personally had no problems what-so-ever with Vista, it actually functioned better than XP for me (driver wise). I'm sure that it will work well with your dell seeing as how it's built in, and should already have everything you need on it. Care to tell us the specs of your system? Also, which version of Vista will be installed?

#5 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:16 PM

Hey man! Good luck with your upcoming system :D

Yeah specs and version of vista would be great - Donna upgraded her Vista from Premium to Ultimate, if I remember correctly... (Lol, random piece of useless information)

And as Will0wz said, if you have the XP discs, you can always use that as your fall back :(

#6 albinoAZN

albinoAZN

Albinos Are Extinct!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:58 PM

You're correct Bug, she did. And yes, you can always install XP, just make sure you keep your old PC close, so you can get the Serial Number off the side of the case.

#7 α∂αмяoss

α∂αмяoss

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Interests:football, Manchester Utd., coding, web developement, business, girls and warcraft.

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:10 PM

If your getting vista pre-instlalled on a new machine you shouldnt have any problems. Good luck!

#8 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:18 PM

On some dell ranges you can still configure it to come pre-installed with XP if you are that worried, but i think you'll find in most cases Vista is much less of a pain than it may seem sometimes, especially as Zero.Dub says, if it was installed by the manufacturer. Hardware problems are eliminated that way if nothing else.

Edited by Matthew., 01 June 2007 - 04:18 PM.

#9 Archangel

Archangel

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Interests:Reading (mainly fantasy books), Gaming (Xbox 360, Wii & PS3), Sports, Outdoor Recreation, Watching/Collecting Movies

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:18 PM

I'm getting the Dimension C521 model. Not a huge fan of the smaller computers but it has the exact specs of a larger one for $100 less...so...

Specs:
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium (don't want to pay the extra $169 for ultimate...is it really worth it?)
19 inch SE198WFP Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
16x DVD+/-RW Drive
256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
1-Year Next Day-At-Home Warranty

Not the biggest beast in the world but I'm currently running an AMD 2800+ with 512mb ram and a 60GB hard drive right now so it'll be a real nice upgrade. And for the price of $749 total (shipping is free)...I can't really beat it.

#10 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:37 PM

:) Wow!! I think I'm gonna have to revisit the Dell website and see their offers lol

That's a very sweet machine :) You should have no problems, whatsoever, with your system (as long as you still have that 2GB of RAM)

#11 Archangel

Archangel

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 10:11 PM

Correction...I got the Dimension E521 model (better for upgrading/adding) with the same exact specs but for $649 (before tax)...$687.94 total!!!

I found a coupon online that took $350 off of a $999 or higher priced Dimension.

If anyone wants to use is the coupon code is L9VCG0J5C0$LBG and is limited to the first 4,000 uses or expires June 14th. I'm so stoked on the comp for the price!!!

Link to Where I Found Dell Deal

#12 α∂αмяoss

α∂αмяoss

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Interests:football, Manchester Utd., coding, web developement, business, girls and warcraft.

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:42 AM

Correction...I got the Dimension E521 model (better for upgrading/adding) with the same exact specs but for $649 (before tax)...$687.94 total!!!

I found a coupon online that took $350 off of a $999 or higher priced Dimension.

If anyone wants to use is the coupon code is L9VCG0J5C0$LBG and is limited to the first 4,000 uses or expires June 14th. I'm so stoked on the comp for the price!!!

Link to Where I Found Dell Deal

Wow, well done!

#13 Av-

Av-

I Feel Left Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:06 AM

Wow shit, nice find archangel.

As for your setup, it all looks pretty sweet, except for your graphics card. Dunno whether you are a gamer, but let's just say the X1300 is not really cutting edge anymore :), but of course you can always replace it at a later time.

#14 α∂αмяoss

α∂αмяoss

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:49 AM

As for your setup, it all looks pretty sweet, except for your graphics card. Dunno whether you are a gamer, but let's just say the X1300 is not really cutting edge anymore :), but of course you can always replace it at a later time.

I think he's just using it for graphic design and web developement. It will do fine for that but as you said it wont be the greatest for a gamer.

#15 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:04 AM

I think he's just using it for graphic design and web developement. It will do fine for that but as you said it wont be the greatest for a gamer.

I'm still on a 9600XT and I'm doing fine XD

#16 α∂αмяoss

α∂αмяoss

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:04 AM

I'm still on a 9600XT and I'm doing fine XD

Lol, that's good then (=

#17 Archangel

Archangel

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:43 PM

As for your setup, it all looks pretty sweet, except for your graphics card. Dunno whether you are a gamer, but let's just say the X1300 is not really cutting edge anymore :laugh:, but of course you can always replace it at a later time.

I'm a gamer...but the only PC game I really play is World of Warcraft which I'm currently using a 256mb Radeo 9200SE for (which I purchased 3 years ago) so the card can't be any worse. And...it's the biggest upgrade they offered or else I would have taken it higher.

Edited by Archangel, 02 June 2007 - 12:44 PM.

#18 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:25 AM

Archangel I recently got a HP AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Dual Core Processor,
2GB DDR memory,
500GB SATA Hard Drive,
Dual Layer 16X DVD+/-RW drive with Lightscribe drive,
GeForce 6150 graphics with 128MB dedicated memory and up to 399MB shared video memory and TV tuner with VGA out.

http://www.futuresho...i...=&langid=EN

Didn't need a better graphics card as I don't use this for gaming but it comes with a spare 3D card slot if I ever decide to add one and I didn't need a screen as I already have one, once I removed all the pre installed gunk, disabled the UAC after NGPixel told me where it was and adjusted the virtual memory it's fine. Still not keen on how Vista does the file management.

Had it upgraded to Ultimate the same day and unless you want the extra features stay on Premium: http://www.microsoft...ons/choose.mspx

You'll love your new PC, I know I love mine, just takes afew hours to find where everything is hidden in Vista.

Best of luck.

#19 Archangel

Archangel

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:10 PM

Awesome! Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it...Will probably take a little while to get used to Vista so if you dontt mind I might PM you if I have any questions.

I think for now I'm going to just try the Home Premium and if I find I need the other features then upgrade. I'll let you all know when I get it in.

#20 albinoAZN

albinoAZN

Albinos Are Extinct!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:20 PM

I have premium, but the extras aren't worth it to me. Pretty much, you only get what's in the "Ultimate Extras" download. That includes BitLocker ( I don't know what that does... encrypt files maybe?), Texas Hold'em Game, and DreamScene (video as desktop background, uses some resources. It was a noticable amount on my system.)

If I were you, I'd stick with Home Premium. Also, if you have questions, and Donna isn't at her comp, you can feel free to PM me, or one of the many other Vista users here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users