Web Hosting feed back.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 _*Creative Insanity_*

_*Creative Insanity_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:00 PM

Ok I have currently be with Surpasshosting for the past 4 years and fast getting fed up with the on going hassles.
I am looking at switching in July and was looking at Hostmonster
Has anyone heard any or got any comments (good or bad) about hostmonster.

#2 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 10:51 AM

No, I haven't and it's unlikely anyone here has does (although you may get lucky). Your best bet is to check out http://webhostingtalk.com and do a quick search for them.

While you're there, check out some of the other hosts and their deals as it's an ideal place to find hosts with a good reputation. I have nothing to base this on apart from gut instinct, but i wouldn't go with them. No real reason for saying that, but i easily judge companies on just a glance of their website, not to big myself up or anything, but I'm not usually wrong.

Matt

#3 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:17 AM

Quick check shows Hostmonster is owned by the same owner as BlueHost.

You really need to do as Matthew. suggests and search webhostingtalk lots of negative feedback on there.

#4 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:46 AM

I suggest www.powweb.com lol. It is seriously an awesome hosting company <.<

#5 _*Creative Insanity_*

_*Creative Insanity_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:15 PM

Thanks for the link Matt, checking there now.

Hmm they don't get good reviews. About 1 out of every 15 I read had something good to say about them.
Seems they over sell their servers, and their gear is what Bluehost toss out.

#6 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:18 AM

No, I haven't and it's unlikely anyone here has does (although you may get lucky). Your best bet is to check out http://webhostingtalk.com and do a quick search for them.

While you're there, check out some of the other hosts and their deals as it's an ideal place to find hosts with a good reputation. I have nothing to base this on apart from gut instinct, but i wouldn't go with them. No real reason for saying that, but i easily judge companies on just a glance of their website, not to big myself up or anything, but I'm not usually wrong.

Matt

spot on :P

#7 _*Creative Insanity_*

_*Creative Insanity_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 02:15 AM

I have put more thought into this and think it is better the devil you know.
I am working with my current hoster with the issues I have.

#8 U1

U1

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:17 AM

Hostmonster sounds a little too good to be true for shared hosters like alot of them do, i mean what if you actually did use the 300GB of space and 3.000GB's of B/W every month? you think they would still welcome you as a customer? i know most people won't use that kinda space and b/w but i know by experience when you do there not soo happy, false advertising me thinks :o and same goes for servage btw.

Edited by Unknown1, 15 June 2007 - 06:17 AM.

#9 Will0wz

Will0wz

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:27 AM

< Click > No questions asked < Click >

#10 Adam Sheridan

Adam Sheridan

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Web Design, Web Development, Graphic Design and Corporate Identity.

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:07 AM

< Click > No questions asked < Click >

Personally I would overlook them as a host in seconds on the grounds that their website is ugly and unprofessional. I am actually working on setting up a hosting company, but I'll leave the self-promotion for another time :o.

- Adam

#11 α∂αмяoss

α∂αмяoss

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Interests:football, Manchester Utd., coding, web developement, business, girls and warcraft.

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:43 AM

Mediatemple™ are an excellent hosting provider. chekc them out, they have plans for very small websites to very demanding websites.

#12 SatanicPenguins

SatanicPenguins

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Photoshop, Web Design, Graphic Design, Internet.

Posted 16 June 2007 - 11:46 AM

I use dreamhost, Best host ive used but i havnt used very many hosts lol

They have went down on me 1-2 times, but customer service was quick

Dreamhost is really love or hate, Alot of people apparently get done wrong by them and hate them with a vengence
Others have a pleasant time. lol

#13 U1

U1

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 04:24 PM

Alot of people might disagree with me here but to be honest i think 1and1 shared hosting services are prob the best around, pretty well priced and "Very Safe", saying that because when 1 site is accessed by a third party on hosts like hostgator and dreamhost bluehost etc then all sites on that same server are vulnerable meaning for anyone trying to spread malware they have more sites to add nasty code to and more traffic or they might just install a backdoor and use it for other purposes, but 1and1 on the other hand have such a setup that your only confined to that one sites dir without the option to run any sort of cmd commands and exploit the actual box, custom built kernels and all too :lol:

Edited by Unknown1, 16 June 2007 - 04:25 PM.

#14 SatanicPenguins

SatanicPenguins

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Interests:Photoshop, Web Design, Graphic Design, Internet.

Posted 16 June 2007 - 04:39 PM

Doesnt that mean your limited in the things you can do as well?

#15 U1

U1

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 04:44 PM

^^ Nope you can still use any php functions you wish, you just cant run shell commands globaly!

#16 _*Creative Insanity_*

_*Creative Insanity_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2007 - 03:56 PM

Hey l3lueMage, that PowWeb seems to have some pretty kick arse reviews. I think that is where I may move to.
My current hoster is just acting too silly now. I mean a photo ID to change a damn email address?

#17 Av-

Av-

I Feel Left Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:22 PM

Think again.. :)

http://www.webhostin...shed.com/powweb

and omigot :D

http://www.webhostin...ashed.com/1and1

^ Good site btw, I use this one a lot

I've been with Dreamhost for nearly a year now and hardly have had any problems. They may have some downtime every now and again (2 big ones in 9 months), but overall I'm pretty satisfied with them. I could imagine it also depends on what server you're on...

Good luck finding a new host and remember, you usually get what you pay for :D

#18 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:05 PM

I've been with Dreamhost for nearly a year now and hardly have had any problems. They may have some downtime every now and again (2 big ones in 9 months), but overall I'm pretty satisfied with them. I could imagine it also depends on what server you're on...

Good luck finding a new host and remember, you usually get what you pay for ;)

3500 FTP passwords were compromised on dreamhost around 11dys ago I'd say that was a big problem lol

========

Creative Insanity use host quote via http://www.webhostin...m/hostquote.php all those hosts are approved by webhostingtalk.com your emailed replies by different approved hosts with what they offer etc.

#19 U1

U1

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 245 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:38 PM

That bug in the control panel was known for a looong time, alot more details where dished out publicly over that period.

#20 _*Creative Insanity_*

_*Creative Insanity_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:38 PM

Ok Donna thanks for the link. I have just sent to that and offers are coming already.
Av, I have heard too many bad reports from past clients of dreamhost, so I don't think I will go there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users