• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Lastcrime

Lastcrime

Impatient Jedi that likes to eat cereal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, Snowboarding, Hockey, B-ball, Skateboarding, Computers!

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:18 PM

i was either looking at buying the new macbook or if i get enough money the macbook pro or should i wait and get the new imac thats going to come out?

anybody have any previous experiences with macbooks i would like to know if they hold up using after effects ect. considering there graphics arn't very good. Im pretty sure you cant update the graphics card either it has something to do with it being in the motherboard or something i dono.

Anyway any thoughts, previous experience, suggestions would be great.

#2 albinoAZN

albinoAZN

Albinos Are Extinct!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 08:40 PM

I've got the 2.0GHz Macbook with C2D, and it's great! I don't know what gave you the impression that they can't handle graphics. I can do some heavy photoshopping on mine. If you've got the option though, go for the Macbook Pro, the bigger screen and better speakers plus the faster processors make a big difference.

My friend has the Last PowerBook, it's only about 1.5GHz, but it uses each bit of that very powerfully. The 2.16GHz Macbook is a great deal if you're tight for money. If you can get the extra $1500, definitely get the 2.4GHz Macbook Pro.

#3 Adam Sheridan

Adam Sheridan

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Web Design, Web Development, Graphic Design and Corporate Identity.

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:26 PM

I bought a MacBook Pro back in December, and since then quite a few of my friends have bought MacBooks. And what I would say is that if you are using it as a desktop replacement go Pro easily.

The big noticeable difference in the two (as well as the price tag) is the Graphics Card, I can run BF2 on full quite well where my friends on MacBooks can barely run Unreal Tournament. This might effect some Graphics Editing programs quite badly.

I bought a MacBook Pro intending to use it on the Road, but now my desktop is in my cupboard collecting dust (seriously). I've got another widescreen monitor (duel screen), blue tooth keyboard and a wireless mouse and use it just like any other desktop.

The screen, dualcore processors and the graphics card really do make the pro worth it.

I seem to recall that you can't use Bootcamp on MacBooks either.

If you can afford it or are looking for something powerful, go Pro!

Oh and don't get a Glossy screen!

Hope this helps,
- Adam

#4 albinoAZN

albinoAZN

Albinos Are Extinct!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 12:28 AM

False. I'm running BootCamp on my regular Macbook.

#5 Mezzo

Mezzo

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:53 AM

Here are my thoughts....

1) Macs are simply amazing for graphics / video editing
2) If your going to do any serious editing get the macbook pro
3) Don't bother with the iMac.

Now let me explain my third thought. iMacs are great don't get me wrong but I think their kind of pointless. So you have a computer which generally goes obsolete after 2-3 years (I've had my laptop for 3 years and its a clunker). And then you have your monitor that last 5+ years. With the iMac, because you can't upgrade it (by yourself). You're basically just going to have to buy a new one (including screen) in a few years.

If you're going with a desktop I'd wait until the mac pro is updated.

Those are my thoughts ;)

#6 Pax

Pax

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:57 AM

Here are my thoughts....

1) Macs are simply amazing for graphics / video editing
2) If your going to do any serious editing get the macbook pro
3) Don't bother with the iMac.

Now let me explain my third thought. iMacs are great don't get me wrong but I think their kind of pointless. So you have a computer which generally goes obsolete after 2-3 years (I've had my laptop for 3 years and its a clunker). And then you have your monitor that last 5+ years. With the iMac, because you can't upgrade it (by yourself). You're basically just going to have to buy a new one (including screen) in a few years.

If you're going with a desktop I'd wait until the mac pro is updated.

Those are my thoughts ;)

Bang on right there. Although -- the Mac Pro is pretty good right now. I bought one a couple months ago. Can't go wrong with a quad core base model ;)

Another thing about the iMacs - we had a lab of them when I was in college and the power supplies constantly blew on them. We had a shelf in the tech support room stocked with iMac power supplies, that was how often they went.

#7 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:00 AM

Unless you are going for a PC, I would advise not buying a new notebook/laptop right now. In the case of the macbook and macbook pro they are due for an update and with the impending release of Leopard you can't help but think it will be soon. Things are already being leaked on the internet.

I think it's a pretty exciting time for OSX and Apple in general right now, my only concern is if you were to buy a macbook/macbook pro right now you may be disappointed about missing out on any updates that come with the new ones.

Matt

#8 Mezzo

Mezzo

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:52 AM

Unless you are going for a PC, I would advise not buying a new notebook/laptop right now. In the case of the macbook and macbook pro they are due for an update and with the impending release of Leopard you can't help but think it will be soon. Things are already being leaked on the internet.

I think it's a pretty exciting time for OSX and Apple in general right now, my only concern is if you were to buy a macbook/macbook pro right now you may be disappointed about missing out on any updates that come with the new ones.

Matt

Sorry I'm goign to have to disagree with you here. Both the macbook and the macbook pro have been updated recently.

Days Since Update 58 (Macbook)
Days Since Update 37 (Macbook pro)
Taken from macrumors.com

However I do suggest waiting for leopard to be shipped with the laptops. This way you don't have to pay an extra $129 for it.

Edited by Mezzo, 12 July 2007 - 08:54 AM.

#9 Lastcrime

Lastcrime

Impatient Jedi that likes to eat cereal

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, Snowboarding, Hockey, B-ball, Skateboarding, Computers!

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:10 AM

This is great exactly what i was looking for, what i really wanted to know is if the macbook held up and it seems it does so i might go for that. I dono if i want to wait for leopard though isn't it coming out in october? man i dont wanna wait that long lol but if i cant get it soon i mine as well.

#10 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:11 AM

Sorry I'm goign to have to disagree with you here. Both the macbook and the macbook pro have been updated recently.

Taken from macrumors.com

They have been revised not updated. The macbook was given a bigger hard drive and more memory as standard and the macbook pro was given the santa rosa platform and the LED backlit screen.

#11 Mezzo

Mezzo

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:24 AM

Taken from macrumors.com

They have been revised not updated. The macbook was given a bigger hard drive and more memory as standard and the macbook pro was given the santa rosa platform and the LED backlit screen.

The macbook pro also had it's iSight upgraded (to 1.3MP)

OK I agree with the macbook being revised due to it only getting a bigger HD and more memory. But having your chipset and screen totally changed seems like an update to me.

#12 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:44 AM

Taken from macrumors.com

The macbook pro also had it's iSight upgraded (to 1.3MP)

OK I agree with the macbook being revised due to it only getting a bigger HD and more memory. But having your chipset and screen totally changed seems like an update to me.

Depends on what you think yourself is an update. iPod generations are updates (imo), the recent XPS M1210 to M1330 is to me, an update, (although not a good example as they are technically different class laptops), but thats what I mean. An update in macbooks to me would be yes, the hardware change, but also a change to the aesthetics of the laptop.

A 12" macbook pro is what is rumoured lately, apprently design to redefine what we class as "thin and light" - I have my doubts personally but I do believe there will be a new generation of macbooks soon. I think with the release of the iphone, leopard and with the problems some are experiencing with Vista - a new line of macbooks could be just what Apple needs to do to get those people already looking at apple products such as the ipod to look at OSX as a serious alternative.

Edited by Matthew., 12 July 2007 - 11:55 AM.

#13 Adam Sheridan

Adam Sheridan

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:44 PM

False. I'm running BootCamp on my regular Macbook.

I stand corrected then :P

Sorry for the false info, a few of my friends have been having some problems.

- Adam

#14 SebLev

SebLev

Forum Whore is what I am today!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:01 PM

well I suggest maybe wait for the new OSX and at the same tiem while waiting save up more for the macbook pro... trust me its well worth the extra money spent on it.... specialy if yoru gonna be doing video editing and stuff... macbooks are more for documents and stuff and not as much for graphics....

Another thing about the iMacs - we had a lab of them when I was in college and the power supplies constantly blew on them. We had a shelf in the tech support room stocked with iMac power supplies, that was how often they went.

Pax I don't know how that can happen becaus my iMac has been working perfectly fine and it's been over a year now and it's pretty much running constantly....

#15 w1lz

w1lz

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:32 AM

Why would anyone ever want a mac :P?

#16 Adam Sheridan

Adam Sheridan

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:54 PM

Why would anyone ever want a mac :P ?

Ohhh, this shit is started ;)

Mac > PC

*waits for the endless arguement*

- Adam

#17 Mezzo

Mezzo

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:15 PM

People have their own preferences. Macs are better than PC's for certain things and PC's are better than Macs for certain things. This debate will never end because both sides are stuborn and generally don't try the other one.

DON'T START ANOTHER STUPID ARGUMENT.

#18 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:15 PM

Why would anyone ever want a mac :P?

Why would anyone ever want a mac ;) ?

Ohhh, this shit is started ;)

Mac > PC

*waits for the endless arguement*

- Adam

This is a general help forum, if you cannot help the member asking then don't bother replying or face the consequences in having your account suspended.

#19 Jess Blue

Jess Blue

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Web Design, Art, Music, Color, Movies, Hanging out with my friends, The beach, Computers, Animals, Maya, Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash, and Dreamweaver.

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:06 PM

I've always heard horrible things about the iMacs, and somewhat unfortunately, my college is replacing our G4 labs with iMacs this year. Our IT department is PC based, and most of them have no clue about Macs, so when we tried to tell them it would be cheaper (in the long run) to just replace one G4 lab with a second G5 lab they refused. I hope the iMacs don't end up proving us right... my Digital Media department's computers are always second in line with IT.

We will be linking all of the iMacs together to serve as a render farm for our 3D projects, however. Will that be worth the aggrivation?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users