#1 Veng

Veng

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:55 PM

Hallo :)

I'm pretty new with this VRay render stuff.
As far as I can se VRay makes some very beautiful renders... But mine look like crap :(

Look at this:
Posted Image
That's made with VRay, GI on and Irradiance Map set to "High"
But for some reason it makes these grunge/camo-like shadows.

While rendering (With "Show calc. phase on) it look lik this:
Posted Image
Isn't that some weird light calculations?

I'm using one big normal VRay plane light as I don't know how to use the VRay sun light.
And the shot is made with VRay Physical Camera.
If those make a difference?

Anyone know how to fix this and get "smooth" shadows without all these small "bumps" between the dark and light spots?

Oh... And I don't want any comments about the models in the scene... This is a very early state and I know there's alot of flaws :)

(And sorry for my bad english by the way)

Edited by Veng, 14 September 2007 - 01:56 PM.

#2 SebLev

SebLev

Forum Whore is what I am today!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:44 PM

Hey, well I'm not a user of Vray but from what I know I get something exactly like that in maya: mentalray ... and I get it when I use final gather... I don't know if you guys have something like that... and when I set the final gather rays at a certain point you start getting that effect... so what I have to do is something in the final gather section I need to change tje min radius: and the ma radius: higher so that it can smooth those rays out more and spread them better

don't know if it helps at all or if you guys even have any kinda options like this in 3D studio max but hey... just look in yoru render settings somewhere where theirs a min and max radius for some kinda rays and just put them higher...

tell me if it helps

#3 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:56 AM

on the right track lilman.

in the vray light (select it and go into the modify rollout) down the bottom of the options you should have something like shadow radius (forget the name, i just go into autopilot now) and u, v and w all set to 10.0 by default. try turning these values down to 2 or something. the lower they are the less blurry your shadows should appear (ie sharper shadows).

to be honest though i like your shadows how they are :P

you could also try just using a direct light too, with vray shadows on. thats how i usually render interior scenes with windows. this should also decrease render times.

and yes the second render show you the calculation phase/s. it doesnt matter if you leave it on or off, your render will turn out the same. personally i like it on so i can see the progress. read the vray help files for more info on why it looks like it does, its a very long and drawn out explanation so its best you just read it on the vray site.

i have one more solution, but let me know if that helps first. like i said i go on autopilot setting up my lighting so apologies if ive left anything out or given you some dodgy advice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users