57 replies to this topic

#21 David Knight

David Knight

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:42 AM

Maybe if the community had projects that they could work on and develope, somewhat of an open source community project.

Hoot,

What type of projects do you think would suite an open source development of? Can you expand on that topic more please.

I like the sound of that, but what Chaos King said.

#22 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 11 December 2007 - 04:53 PM

Maybe if the community had projects that they could work on and develope, somewhat of an open source community project.

Hoot,

What type of projects do you think would suite an open source development of? Can you expand on that topic more please.

Well for example on blender.org (this is slightly different then what I mean but it will work for an example) they took some good 3D artists (who were known around some blender forums) and then they were brought together to build a short movie. I think it would be cool if the community built a web tool or some sort of software, not sure what but I think it would be a blast. It would be a great learning experiance.
I can't think of really any examples because P2L has a wide range of users that have different tallents, c++, php that type of thing, so its hard to say what kind of project could be worked on. Probably something web based since lots of the site has website stuff, but it would be cool for a downloadable application.

Hoot

#23 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Programming, Storm Chasing, Games (Designing and playing), Hockey, Photography

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:07 PM

So basically you could get people on board different things. And they could make like services and stuff and then release it as a p2l project or what ever. There could also be like a suggestion forum to gather ideas of what some of the projects could be about.

#24 l3lueMage

l3lueMage

Wanna Be Moderator

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:42 PM

Add diff website themes haha and um o.O Like I mentioned in the beta area Make it so all your tuts whether submitted as a link or written in the publishing system is in one list, you can easily get to the list of the source site and then your publish things, but would be nice to have them combined? :(

#25 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:43 PM

Hoot,

Well for example on blender.org (this is slightly different then what I mean but it will work for an example) they took some good 3D artists (who were known around some blender forums) and then they were brought together to build a short movie. I think it would be cool if the community built a web tool or some sort of software, not sure what but I think it would be a blast. It would be a great learning experiance.
I can't think of really any examples because P2L has a wide range of users that have different tallents, c++, php that type of thing, so its hard to say what kind of project could be worked on. Probably something web based since lots of the site has website stuff, but it would be cool for a downloadable application.

Hoot

I like that... but I do recall a topic in General Discussion where a bunch of P2Lians were trying to organise a project together... didn't turn out well lol... no leadership or committment

#26 Chaos King

Chaos King

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 07:46 PM

Okay, I see what you are saying now. Any other takers? All comments are welcomed and appreciated.

#27 rc69

rc69

PHP Master PD

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,827 posts
  • Interests:Web Development

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:33 AM

Lol, we could make an open-source tutorial management system :( Of course, it wouldn't be used here, that would be impracticle in too many ways. But it could be done none-the-less. I've always been interested to be a part of something like that, can't imagine how those kinds of projects are ran/organized though.

Although, this could be counter-productive. With the rise of tutorial sites being what it is (or at least has been), something like this would have a dramatic effect on that statistic...

One thing i've always been interested in is making something like Matematica. Unfortunately, i doubt many people here have the math skills alone required to do something like that, let alone the programming skills (note, calc2 is what i'd call a minimum requirement).

Anywho, i'm just here for the forums mostly these days. So i can't offer any real ideas on what could be improved around here, other than of course, to look into AJAX functionality (but that brings with it plenty of headaches).

For me it's mainly things like this...

Filter Results by Category: All | 3D Studio Max | Adobe DreamWeaver | Adobe Fireworks | Adobe Flash | Adobe Illustrator | Adobe Image Ready | Adobe Photoshop | CSS Stylesheets | CorelDraw and Corel PhotoPaint | General Photography | Gimp | HTML Tips and Tricks | Inkscape | JavaScript | Microsoft PowerPoint | PHP Coding | Paint Shop Pro | Poser | SWiSH and SwishMax | Windows Vista

And all other menus like it have to go sorry, it's just extremely hard to use and looks horrible as well.

Ahh, so great minds do think alike! I believe i mentioned this in the staff area some time ago ;)

#28 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:49 AM

I'm sure the majority of people have found it rather brain-heavy to look through the categories like that. Although the current Category Browser is really nice and efficient, I'd much rather have all the categories layed out to the side.

#29 Chaos King

Chaos King

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:19 AM

Lol, we could make an open-source tutorial management system :P Of course, it wouldn't be used here, that would be impracticle in too many ways. But it could be done none-the-less. I've always been interested to be a part of something like that, can't imagine how those kinds of projects are ran/organized though.

One thing i've always been interested in is making something like Matematica. Unfortunately, i doubt many people here have the math skills alone required to do something like that, let alone the programming skills (note, calc2 is what i'd call a minimum requirement).

Honestly, I have thought about creating and open source CMS for tutorials. But as you said, I don't know how you can turn that into a community project. Its not like I can say, hey you user, create me an administration panel for the site. lol. Too many minds and no structure.

What is Matematica? I don't think I have never heard of it. That should be interesting yes, but I am only in calc one =/

#30 David Knight

David Knight

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:19 AM

Lol, we could make an open-source tutorial management system :P Of course, it wouldn't be used here, that would be impracticle in too many ways. But it could be done none-the-less. I've always been interested to be a part of something like that, can't imagine how those kinds of projects are ran/organized though.

Honestly, I have thought about creating and open source CMS for tutorials. But as you said, I don't know how you can turn that into a community project. Its not like I can say, hey you user, create me an administration panel for the site. lol. Too many minds and no structure.

Well take OO programming for an example you can easily have people create different classes, there is a lot of structure to it then.

#31 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Programming, Storm Chasing, Games (Designing and playing), Hockey, Photography

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:48 PM

Well I think you would have to make sure they can actually do the job and even if a person was incharge of a few functions and stuff it could still speed the process up. It would also be a great learning experience.

#32 MyFlash13

MyFlash13

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 08:45 PM

I'm sure the majority of people have found it rather brain-heavy to look through the categories like that. Although the current Category Browser is really nice and efficient, I'd much rather have all the categories layed out to the side.

I agree completely with Bug.

And I'm glad to see this discussion is turning to what I had initially brought up, Pixel2Life being social-like. Well I'll sit back and watch what you guys cook up, 'cause I dont have any ideas right now.

#33 designer007

designer007

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:58 AM

yes, it is very good forum. :flowers:

I like the forum skin verymuch. But it is very hard to find a busy buy/sell section. :P

#34 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:56 AM

Okay I've done some thinking, and the following are things that have no inspiration over what has been said already (even though some ideas are similar)

More Community Involvement
Now I wasn't a big user of the site when V2 was around, but I remember the front page having so much more to offer than there is now. I remember there was something by the name of Twodded(?). Either way, it would be great if there could be more things a P2Lian cool look forward to on the site.

I remember there being people (could be wrong) that searched for articles all over the net that they thought users would find handy. Just things like that keep us entertained greatly :P

Right now the only cool things this site offers is a Tutorial Engine and place to write tutorials (excluding the forums and all the contests etc it has right now). Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the whole place is a little bland at the moment.

Featured Tutorials
Okay! Time to take this up a thousand notches! I have quite a few suggestions/things I'd like to see in this category:
  • Two [or more] featured tutorials - For me [and probably many other people], I rarely ever go into the "Write" section to view tutorials, as they're already listed in the main P2L engine. So, it could almost make sense to have the featured Publisher tutorial on the front page as well.
  • Previous Featured Tutorials - If you're like me, then you're a person who loves to be taught by the best quality tutorials (in terms of end product and ease-of-read etc). So, it would be really good if you guys could add in a feature that list all previous featured tutorials. This would also include previous feature Publisher tutorials - whether or not you want to put them into a seperate section is another thing.
  • Faken's view [lame name lol] - Like on dA, maybe have a little section in the comments area or something where Faken (as he's the only one that approves of tutorials in the first place?) explains why he chose that particular tutorial to be featured (unless the user paid lol).

Site Design Renovations
As said by a few other users in this topic, I think we all know it's time that P2L took a turn in the colour scheme and template industry. The Green & Blue has been awesome thus far, but wearing a bit thin in the boredom department.

Side-projects
Touching on what was already been said before. I'd really love to see side-projects coming out left right and centre - give the users something really cool to look forward to, or maybe something to ease tutorial search; be creative!

NGPixel, I remember a long while back you were working on a P2L MSN bot - now that was a REALLY cool idea, and I reckon it should be continued. If you don't have the time or something, why not try to introduce someone to your code (maybe someone already experienced, or someone who's trying to get into the desktop programming industry - kind of like a leg-me-up at the same time as learning).

Just things like that that people can enjoy using.

Also finding some members to be committed to being involved in some sweet P2L projects would be cool - as many of us are students and dying to get our hands on something like that.

----------------------------------------------------------

Now I understand that some of these things require enormous amounts of work from the Staff, which is why I love the idea of bringing in different users in different areas to help you guys out - Kind of like a win/win situation (I think lol).

Mind you, this is probably one of the reasons in the decrease of forum activity - a lot of site happenings went missing after v3 was introduced - so I don't think the increase in social networking is all to blame.

That's it from me... sorry if there's anything not clear in that peoples - I rushed through it all and couldn't be bothered to proof read :flowers: Atm my brain is bursting with more ideas... but I don't want to overwhelm you guys :P

Edited by Bug, 13 December 2007 - 08:59 AM.

#35 rc69

rc69

PHP Master PD

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,827 posts
  • Interests:Web Development

Posted 13 December 2007 - 03:20 PM

What is Matematica? I don't think I have never heard of it. That should be interesting yes, but I am only in calc one =/

http://www.wolfram.c...tica/index.html

The whole deal would be a little complicated, and you may be confused by the fact that mathematica is an actual program, but they do have web-based stuff. The feature i'm most fond of: The Integrator

calc101 is a nice site that is built off of mathematica ;)

#36 Chaos King

Chaos King

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:16 PM

<a href="http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/index.html</a>

The whole deal would be a little complicated, and you may be confused by the fact that mathematica is an actual program, but they do have web-based stuff. The feature i'm most fond of: The Integrator

calc101 is a nice site that is built off of mathematica ^_^

Ohh, I am very familiar with the Integrator. :D Those are indeed some very powerful math tools.

Good calls Bug, your ideas will definately influence choices made in the future.

Everything seems good guys, I am really enjoying reading all the comments. Keep them coming <3

#37 SebLev

SebLev

Forum Whore is what I am today!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:47 PM

ohhh bad lol a store haha.. I wouldn't mind it though but hey it might work... maybe the profet can go to like prizes for contests....

but yeah theirs some good ideas here but some of them you just gonna watch for organization and what not to make it work well... because if you don't think of the problems that might happen befor hand then watch out when they happen...

hey Chaos King, maybe make like a list of all the ideas up to date in the first post so that no one repeats the same things... also it would be easier to see what exactly people are thiking and maybe others can add on to the ideas....

just a thought :)

anyways keep the ideas comming...

#38 Chaos King

Chaos King

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 06:48 PM

Thanks. Check out the list now, its all organized. :)

#39 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:19 PM

Make list of all these ideas and put them in a list

lol! cheeky admin here ^^

#40 SebLev

SebLev

Forum Whore is what I am today!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:34 PM

Make list of all these ideas and put them in a list

lol! cheeky admin here ^^

made me laugh haha

btw awsome job on the list... hope we get more suggestions....

Edited by lilman, 14 December 2007 - 10:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users