• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,827 posts
  • Interests:Web Development

Posted 15 December 2007 - 01:04 PM

Become more like Social Site

Open Source Community Projects

Remove Tutorial Free-For-All with P2L Publishing

Become more like Social Site

At this rate, we'll be in an infinite-loop in no time :)

I've always been interested in this place making a small store like thing, but the one thing i've always wondered is what we would sell? P2L branded mousepads and coffee cups? People have enough of those to last a dozen life times... p2l branded ones would only serve to worsen the problem.
Then i started to think about what kind of services we offer, and decided we could sell tutorials, but that would just be ridiculus on several levels.
So short of turning into some derivation of DeviantArt/Sitepoint/everybody else, i can't think of anything original.

#42 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:17 PM

Okay I've done some thinking, and the following are things that have no inspiration over what has been said already (even though some ideas are similar)

More Community Involvement
Now I wasn't a big user of the site when V2 was around, but I remember the front page having so much more to offer than there is now. I remember there was something by the name of Twodded(?). Either way, it would be great if there could be more things a P2Lian cool look forward to on the site.

I remember there being people (could be wrong) that searched for articles all over the net that they thought users would find handy. Just things like that keep us entertained greatly :)

Twodded was a personal project of Jay's when he was on Staff all of those tutorials were moved into P2L Publishing.

Myself and Dan used to post the articles, if you read the Forum news hint hint http://www.pixel2lif...showtopic=30240 you'll find that Forum was removed because of the publishing area and the articles are now in General Webdesign Help.

#43 SebLev

SebLev

Forum Whore is what I am today!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 03:57 PM

we could always sell like P2L T-shirts in the store... or even not just P2L but maybe have some members just make some shirt designs and I'm sure other people would buy them if they were awsome....

#44 vvtopkar

vvtopkar

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:11 PM

1. P2L Should host a 24-hour Film Fest! It would really crank up activity in the forums!
2. P2L Is a tutorial site right? We should have like a set topic and have some requirements and have a tutorial-creation race!
3. A tutorial Execution Race! Someone releases a tutorial and we see who can finish it first!

#45 SebLev

SebLev

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:38 PM

I kinda get what you mean with 2 and 3 but your 1st suggestion iss teh one I don't understand.. would you like to elaborate on yoru idea a bit?

Edited by lilman, 15 December 2007 - 08:38 PM.

#46 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 09:38 PM

3 wouldn't work, simply because of Time Zone differences (ie. some people would be asleep/working and therefore the race would be biased)

Nice ideas though :popcorn:

#47 Av-

Av-

I Feel Left Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:47 AM

Ability to browse published tutorials!

#48 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 05:01 AM

What do you mean? You already can... In the Category Browser go to P2L Publishing [very last one on the list]

#49 Chaos King

Chaos King

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:53 AM

What do you mean? You already can... In the Category Browser go to P2L Publishing [very last one on the list]

Okay. I guess we need to make that more obvious. lol.

#50 SebLev

SebLev

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 04:37 PM

lmao yeah... maybe like have it kinda in the same place but you can check mark a box saying like only have teh good tutorials and one say have the puplished ones...

#51 Chaos King

Chaos King

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:18 PM

Any other takers? I think we have gotten some good ideas here, but more would be nice.

#52 catti

catti

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:30 AM

I like p2l, but some more features would maby make me use it even more. Like chat etc.

#53 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 20 December 2007 - 05:17 PM

I like p2l, but some more features would maby make me use it even more. Like chat etc.

I personally wouldn't like a chat room, I believe it would take away from the forums. but that is just me.

Hoot

#54 SebLev

SebLev

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:01 AM

I agree with Hoot onthat one... but maybe have like 1 thread on the general discution where we can talk about anything and just fool around and maybe just kill off post count on it... it's always fun just fooling around sometimes and talking about random things without creating a thread for only that

#55 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 02:11 AM

I agree with Hoot onthat one... but maybe have like 1 thread on the general discution where we can talk about anything and just fool around and maybe just kill off post count on it... it's always fun just fooling around sometimes and talking about random things without creating a thread for only that

http://www.pixel2lif...p...140&hl=spam 24 pages :) Closed for... actually, I have no idea why they closed it...

#56 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 02:38 AM

http://www.pixel2lif...p...140&hl=spam 24 pages :) Closed for... actually, I have no idea why they closed it...

Most likely it was bumped back up after a few months and if it's older than 2-3mths old it gets closed.

#57 α∂αмяoss

α∂αмяoss

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Interests:football, Manchester Utd., coding, web developement, business, girls and warcraft.

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:34 AM

If you build a store ... why not sell scripts for other people's websites?

#58 Kristopher

Kristopher

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts
  • Interests:Webdesign, coding, snowmobiling etc

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:48 PM

Add a phpbb point system and let members trade points for stuff I beleive a store system comes with it etc it may boost activity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users