Photo

Global Warming

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: Global Warnng (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Global Warnng Real?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dilfill

Dilfill

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:PHOTOSHOP!

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:41 PM

hello guys

I have a paper I have to write on Global Warning so I thought I would take a survey on if you think its all real or a false production. Please vote! It will help me alot!!!! :love:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Dilfill, 03 January 2008 - 08:53 PM.

#2 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:16 PM

I believe in it just as much as I believe in societies inability to accept necessary responsible action :love:

Having said that. there is a fair amount of evidence to suggest it is not but the science behind it sounds probable to me and that's what I stick by...

Edited by Matthew., 03 January 2008 - 05:18 PM.

#3 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:51 PM

Somehow Donna managed to half-convince me that it wasn't real, and was all a politics game - then some other people started to think the same thing around me... so I'm half and half not sure.

But, I'm not sure I really care anyway - the world has to end sooner or later... but it won't be by global warming :love:

#4 Dilfill

Dilfill

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:13 PM

ok thanks gus keep he comments coming lol btw is it ok if I quote some of your responses in my paper?

#5 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:08 PM

Somehow Donna managed to half-convince me that it wasn't real, and was all a politics game - then some other people started to think the same thing around me... so I'm half and half not sure.

Isn't it weird this topic came up after not long talking about global warming lol

My opinions are somewhat mixed but still feel it's the biggest hoax of the century, where I'm living now I've spoken to people that have lived here all their lives (70 years and more) and they all say the same thing the winters are a lot warmer than what they used to be. Well I dunno, peoples memories are not a reliable source.

Example of where I am for today where it's 1C

Average Maximum Temperature -5.8°C
Average Minimum Temperature -13.7°C
Highest Temperature (1943-2007) 6.3°C 2001
Lowest Temperature (1943-2007) -40.6°C 1950

I have the Planet Earth Series and on that they show a polar bear swimming in search of food and all the ice melting rapidly and eventually he finds some land and tries to kill a walrus to survive in turn being injured by a walrus and the bear too weak eventually lays down and dies so your lead to believe as it's still very much alive but they never show it dead. They say that it needs ice cover to get out to sea to catch managable prey, that's not global warming and polar bears are known to attack a walrus herd for food they've been doing that for yrs long before global warming was even invented lol.

It's survival not global warming. I'm no expert or scientist but it makes me annoyed when they brainwash us with info based on one bear.

And then that Al Gore fellow that states things that have never been proven so the kids in schools get brainwashed.

I dunno as I say I have mixed feelings, and we all know our animal kingdom is slowly going, it's mankind doing all the damage. Great example are garbage bears being killed but we fail to see we're invading their hunting grounds by building homes on their land and in turn we kill them because they come onto our land it just don't make sense to me.

Anyways I'll stop rambling as I dunno what I'm on about anyways. ;)

Use at your own risk if you get bad marks or expelled I cannot be held responsible :o

#6 Dilfill

Dilfill

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:18 PM

ok Thanks alot Donna! I think I will use some of what you said. btw guys I really dont know what this is about all the Global Warming I just dont know can you guys fill me in?

#7 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:34 PM

wikipedia is your friend http://en.wikipedia..../Global_warming

#8 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:37 PM

Global WarNing?

Here are my thoughts, if its not real whoopy for us and we don't have to worry about it. If it is real then according to the scientists we are past the point where we can stop it and we can only slow it so meh.

Hoot

#9 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:08 PM

some stuff is real, more aren't

REAL: the ice on the poles are melting

REAL: the temperature is going up

FALSE: the oceans will not get higher levels and citys won't be flooded by water.

FALSE: the nature wont get in collapse, it will just adapt itself like it did in all history of the planet.

#10 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:14 PM

The 'situation' is dramatised Yes, Matheus, but I would like an explanation of this:

FALSE: the oceans will not get higher levels and citys won't be flooded by water.

If ice caps are melting as you say, then water levels will inherently rise...it's the nature of the beast. You cannot put an icecube into a cup of water, watch it melt and expect there to be the same amount of water in the cup as before.

As for your 2nd false, I have nothing to back me up here but the argument I would make (and I say this hypothetically) is that changes in history have been over a greater time scale than what were considering if global warming does indeed exist, there is a limit to nature adaptability and indeed to an extent that statement is void by what has already happening even on a small scale.

Just my 3AM thoughts ;)

#11 Hayden

Hayden

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:47 PM

The 'situation' is dramatised Yes, Matheus, but I would like an explanation of this:

If ice caps are melting as you say, then water levels will inherently rise...it's the nature of the beast. You cannot put an icecube into a cup of water, watch it melt and expect there to be the same amount of water in the cup as before.

As for your 2nd false, I have nothing to back me up here but the argument I would make (and I say this hypothetically) is that changes in history have been over a greater time scale than what were considering if global warming does indeed exist, there is a limit to nature adaptability and indeed to an extent that statement is void by what has already happening even on a small scale.

Just my 3AM thoughts ;)

you forget that since it is getting warmer, that which is already water is evaporating as the ice caps are melting into water and then the cycle continues.

I do buy into the idea that as our society grows more industrious, the more our environment is affecting but I don't buy into it causing our imminent end of the world because of it.

#12 CrazedLlama

CrazedLlama

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Music, Guitar, Basketball

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:44 PM

I dunno, im like half half

#13 evertonian7uk

evertonian7uk

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:06 AM

from were i am sitting right now, it isnt getting warmer lol.

look at the history of the world, it clearly shows we have warm spells and we have cold spell, its the way its always been,

global warming, imo is just another tool to use to scare us into submission, but the real question is, what is the motive behind global warming,

i watched a guy do a 20 minute speech on global warnimg, and i wasnt sure about it at all, if you like i could upload the speech for you, he had lots of cool things in there, showing ice caps etc... and the mountain in japan, how 50 years ago it was covered in ice, and now it isnt, is that proof enough, not for me,

and by the time it actaully happens, we'll living on the moon or something anyway, so who cares LOL

*its that attitude that will mess up the world, but you know what, everyone has it, one man cant make a difference, no matter what we believe, you can only make a difference when everyone does*

#14 Beret

Beret

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:52 AM

The weather is certainly changing but I personally believe we are in the tip of a long cycle. Funnily enough I was discussing this on the way home in the car lol. Anyways, you guys know what periodic graphs look like? For those of you that don't, this is a periodic graph (they are used to tell tide height, etc)

Posted Image
Imagine that without the math part, I beleive we are nearing the top of the curve, and it will take millions and millions of years for us to reach the bottom again, hence the Ice Age. I don't think humans could have that much of an impact on the enviroment. It is just a life cycle but people are comparing it to 70 yr old's stories, when in reality, 70 years is nothing compared to millions and millions of years. This is my theory anyway, anyone agree?

Beret.

#15 Jeepinator

Jeepinator

The Jeepinator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:33 AM

Does it really matter if it is real? It does not. We should look for alternative ways to power society just the same instead of using things like oil and coal that pollute the air. They are finite resources as well, so for the future, even if global warming isn't true, we need to have the technology to produce energy without producing pollutants. It doesn't matter whether you are liberal or conservative. I think we can all agree on this.

The weather is certainly changing but I personally believe we are in the tip of a long cycle. Funnily enough I was discussing this on the way home in the car lol. Anyways, you guys know what periodic graphs look like? For those of you that don't, this is a periodic graph (they are used to tell tide height, etc)

Imagine that without the math part, I beleive we are nearing the top of the curve, and it will take millions and millions of years for us to reach the bottom again, hence the Ice Age. I don't think humans could have that much of an impact on the enviroment. It is just a life cycle but people are comparing it to 70 yr old's stories, when in reality, 70 years is nothing compared to millions and millions of years. This is my theory anyway, anyone agree?

Beret.

I think that the cycle theory is a valid one, though I don't believe that the Earth has been around for millions of years (thats another issue). In the late 1700s to mid-1800s there was a "Little Ice Age". The entire Earth was noticeably
colder to the point where many people died because of it. The picture of George Washington crossing the Delaware is a good example of it. When was the last time the Delaware River had icebergs on it? Obviously it has gotten warmer at least since the mid-1800s.

Edited by Jeepinator, 04 January 2008 - 11:59 AM.

#16 vvtopkar

vvtopkar

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:31 AM

Jeepinator Double Posted ;)
But ya the way I was taught was that the Earth goes through something like 40 million (thousand?) year cycles. If you look at the earth, there are ice ages that are roughly the same time apart each time.Then it gets really hot. We human beings just happen to be around during this stage of time. But I do believe part of it is our fault, but as studies show, since the 70s, when scientists realized about aerosols and other things and how they effect Global Warming, and moved to be more careful, you can now see that after 30 years, GW is slightly less.

#17 Dilfill

Dilfill

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:42 PM

Thanks alot guys I get it alot now! sorry for using you guys lol

#18 Dilfill

Dilfill

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:21 PM

Thanks alot guys I get it alot now! sorry for using you guys lol

:o I feel so abused! :)

lol, no problemo!

hahah so sorry im just that kind of guy lol hahaPosted Image

#19 Beret

Beret

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 02:59 AM

Glad I could help, also its nice to see some people share the same view on the 'cycle' theory with me :)

((Out of interest, are you going to use it? I'm wondering if its plausible enough to reach an essay page :o))

Thanks,
Beret.

#20 Dilfill

Dilfill

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 03:45 AM

Glad I could help, also its nice to see some people share the same view on the 'cycle' theory with me :o

((Out of interest, are you going to use it? I'm wondering if its plausible enough to reach an essay page :D ))

Thanks,
Beret.

I will use some of what you guys said. not much. I really asked you guys because I wanted a better understanding of all this. You guys have been a BUG help! I dont think you wan to read my paper lol it will be lame lol maybe not idk im not done. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users