Photo

Sidebar Category Tree or Drop-Down Menu System?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:17 AM

Well now that the latest version of the site has been around for months, I would like to hear your opinions on the new dropdown style category menu vs the collapsing style system we had before. Which did you prefer, why etc... Your comments will affect a future upgrade, so now is your chance to make a difference.

P2L will be making huge changes this year and we will be re-invigorating the site with bigger market push and new features like never before. We'll be working hard on community development and some special reward systems for publishers and more. So in the coming months, I'll really be looking for your comments and ideas for any last minute implementation goodies we can throw in.

Thanks and I look forward to bring you a new and fresh P2L this year :)

Dan

#2 CoryMathews

CoryMathews

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 11:30 AM

sounds great faken. Looking forward to it. About the nav, I personally liked it how it was before the dropdown. Im not a big fan of dropdown menus they are kind of annoying.

#3 vvtopkar

vvtopkar

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:19 PM

sounds great faken. Looking forward to it. About the nav, I personally liked it how it was before the dropdown. Im not a big fan of dropdown menus they are kind of annoying.

Agreed. Dropdown menu's can sometimes be confusing and unneccessary. Collapsing is probably better, although I wasn't quite as active of a member back in the collapsing days :).

Anyways, another thing that I would prefer changed is the fact that you can't use quotes in when you use the quickreply button. I'm sure plenty of people would like it if that could somehow be fixed.

But really, I love P2L as it is now, so be careful on how you overhaul it, or some people may not like it. ;)

#4 beaverpoutine

beaverpoutine

P2L Paramedic

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:06 PM

Anyways, another thing that I would prefer changed is the fact that you can't use quotes in when you use the quickreply button. I'm sure plenty of people would like it if that could somehow be fixed.

I don't understand what you mean.. this has been used with a quickreply and the quotes works!

#5 dEcade

dEcade

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,850 posts
  • Interests:Guitar, Programming, Storm Chasing, Games (Designing and playing), Hockey, Photography

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:22 PM

Its not something that needs to be "fixed" its just how invision built their forums software. Its like that on all invision forums. Maybe invision will add that feature with the next update... Who knows.

I don't understand what you mean.. this has been used with a quickreply and the quotes works!

He means if you click quote it doesn't quote them in the quick reply

Edited by dEcade, 18 February 2008 - 06:24 PM.

#6 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:59 AM

drop down is better in my opinion,
even more on the small 15' pc's at school: if you click they stay down (more stable) so you can scroll.
But like i said we have very small screens here at school.

#7 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:26 AM

Collapsible. No doubt about it - missed it incredibly from day one of the makeover. Would really really love to see that come back. Drop downs are great - but it just calls for more accuracy on moving the mouse - and that can get VERY annoying for people after a while.

#8 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:31 AM

stop bugging us...
:biggrin:

you DO have a point.

#9 affenmunkEY

affenmunkEY

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:47 AM

Preferred the old system a lot better, I guess for one, just because we are all used to it, not saying change is bad but it looked better and was a lot more user friendly in my opinion don't ask me why I just prefer it the way it was before :-)

Maybe make it possible to manage in personal settings? So that all the fanboys of the old system :-P can have their way and everyone else can too...

(Thanks for asking us^^)

Edited by affenmunkEY, 19 February 2008 - 06:48 AM.

#10 drcrazy4

drcrazy4

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:44 PM

I'd have to go with the tree personally although I preferred the v2 system which just displayed them all.

#11 David Knight

David Knight

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:48 PM

The Tree System worked much better.

#12 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:02 PM

:D I preferred the V2 way it was there and you saw it now it's kinda hidden and well lazy peeps won't click on something that's not in front of them.

#13 Ben

Ben

P2L Jedi Master

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:57 AM

Going to have to go with the collapsible menu :D

#14 drcrazy4

drcrazy4

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:34 AM

Can you not just let us choose through our settings? That's what people seem to want on the web nowadays is it not?

#15 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:09 PM

Can you not just let us choose through our settings? That's what people seem to want on the web nowadays is it not?

No, because the entire menu and layout changes drastically depending on which we use.

Dan

#16 MyFlash13

MyFlash13

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:17 PM

Collapsible! No, really. It's much easier to see everything that P2L has to offer when you see it all in front of you. A newbie might not even see the dropdown. When you see all the categories, it makes you realize how much P2L has to offer.

#17 NGPixel

NGPixel

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts
  • Interests:Web Design : Coding : Animation

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:29 PM

Collapsible menu win

:) Yoda says so.

#18 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:37 PM

Collapsible! No, really. It's much easier to see everything that P2L has to offer when you see it all in front of you. A newbie might not even see the dropdown. When you see all the categories, it makes you realize how much P2L has to offer.

I cliked your sig har har! :)

#19 drcrazy4

drcrazy4

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:39 PM

Yeah to be quite honest when I came back here and saw the changes I didn't know where the categories were xD.

#20 Dragolux

Dragolux

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:I love computers! I love Photoshop, Flash, Blender, Firefox, I love, well, EVERYTHING!!<br /><br />:D

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:39 PM

I wasn't around as a member back when the menu was collapsible, but I'm sure that I must have been much better. I'm all for the tree menu collapsible thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users