2 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Matt

Mr. Matt

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:43 AM

you guessed it, table tennis paddles!

By now your thinking to yourself, unless you have already seen this article, 'eh' or 'what the fudge', well I did itleast

http://blog.seattlet...e_tennis_p.html

I love reading articles like these, always get a good laugh out of them!

#2 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:53 AM

Awesome idea, some of those countries will do anything to win that gold medal, they banned 4 equestrian horses yesterday for banned substances.

#3 MyFlash13

MyFlash13

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 03:30 PM

So you like reading fun stuff like that, huh? Well read this (a reddit meme):

Well, I certainly applaud anyone wanting to dope his TT rackets for better spin and speed, but take it from this old ping pong rat, I've spent my entire adult life on the Table Tennis Table, and a glue like this one can do more harm than good.

If you only train one part of your racket (and that's all a single enhancement like glue is going to do for you), you're setting yourself up for injuries down the road. I've seen it a hundred times.

It's like putting a powerful engine in a stock Toyota Tercel. What will you accomplish? You'll blow out the drive train, the clutch, the transmission, etc., because those factory parts aren't designed to handle the power of an engine much more powerful than the factory installed engine.

Bicycle repair glue basically only improves the speed and to some extent, the bounce. What you really want to do is enhance your entire racket, all the major racket groups (chest, back, abdomen, legs, shoulders and arms) at the same time, over the course of a workout. And don't forget your TT practice!

I'm proud of you guys wanting to do this. Three cheers! Falling in love with table tennis, glue, etc., is one of the greatest things you can do for yourself. And you WILL fall in love with it if you can just force yourself to stick with it a year or two and experience the amazing progress you'll make.

But do it right, okay?

My advice, find a good gym, with qualified trainers who will design your programs for you (especially in the beginning, until you get the hang of it yourself) and guide you in your quest for table tennis superiority. Thirty to 45 minutes a day, three days a week, is all you'll ever need to do (I refuse to believe anyone is so busy that he or she cannot make time for that, especially considering how important it is).

And don't worry about being embarrassed for not being good enough at ping pong the first time you walk into the gym. You have to start somewhere and almost every one of us were there ourselves at one time. So no one will say anything to you and very, very quickly you will progress way beyond that stage anyway.

Now get out there and TT it! :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users