#1 ItsTheMatthias

ItsTheMatthias

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:computers, music, art, chatting, debating, gaming

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:12 AM

I would like to get into 3D modeling soon... but I have to say, I have no idea where to start. I was hoping to begin learning 3D modeling for maybe designing 3D models for games in the future, but I'm not sure which program to use. There's a lot out there like Cinema 4D, Maya, and Blender and I can't seem to find the 3D industry's standard. See, it's a lot easier with general multimedia because it's basically Photoshop and Flash that top the industry. With the 3D industry I'm just lost. Which one do you recommend? And really, what's the difference? Also, can anyone tell me any other well known and commonly used 3D modeling applications?

#2 TFM4th

TFM4th

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:34 AM

Well if you are getting into gaming 3D Studio Max is a more common program for that, If you looking into making cut scenes for games, or movies etc, Maya is the most common. This may have changed over the years but from what I've seen before thats how it was. But I wouldn't take my word for it, start looking up job descriptions for 3d modelers and see what the requirements are. Thats the best way to see whats in demand out there.

#3 azeemi

azeemi

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:34 AM

hi there,
most communally used software is Maya. But my personal view is Blender, Lightwave and 3D studio Max also communally use in the field.

#4 vvtopkar

vvtopkar

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:39 PM

If you really want to to gaming 3d stuff, the BEST program is Softimage XSI. However, that is only for gaming. The best OVERALL 3d app (especially for beginners) is 3ds max. That's what I started with. If you're low on cash, try Blender, its pretty good as well.

#5 venombarca

venombarca

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:17 AM

well my friend i think the software which you are learning is not the key. get the basics right you know. you have to be a very good observer to become good in modeling. look around. start with very simple objects. try to get them as detailed as possible. like make a lock. then try to make holes in it. get the un even feel to it. make organic models. get the details.

yes, the big branch in modeling will be organic models and inorganic models.
well i am not good in organic. try making car, female etc. and when you feel that you are getting better, you can easily switch from max to any other software. software is a tool which you will use to shape up your skills. what is important is the art inside you.

-thanks
Venom
Creativeporta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users