43 replies to this topic

#21 Tudi

Tudi

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 10:58 AM

Well, actually meta tags are not taken into consideration by most of the big search engines. At least Google doesn't even bother with meta tags, as many websites, in the search for supreme SE rankings started spamming their meta tags with all sorts of unrelated keywords. Still, meta tags are quite important for other search engines so try to have DESCRIPTION and KEYWORDS in there.

External links are THE most important factors taken into consideration by google. The more external links you have and the heigher their Google PageRank, the better your ranking will be. I knew the Google formula at some point, but I can't seem to remember it now :) Anyway it's somewhere on www.google.com, but I'm to lazy to check :P

Other useful SEO tips for your website:

Add a sitemap - it's easier for google bots to crawl through them

Keyword density - Have a good keyword density but don't go over the edge. A paragraph about treadmills can't go: "treadmills are good exercise machines, but the best treadmill around is a treadmill called the PG treadmill, which is the fastest treadmill in the whole treadmill industry"....not only will your articles make no sense, but you might get banned too(probably will if you copy that piece of crap I just wrote :D) . A good keyword density for a page is around 15-20%, using 4-5 keywords.

Titles are also important - have a relevant title but don't write whole stories on it...try to include 2-3 important keywords in the first 10 words of your title.

And I could go on an on, but I'm noticing that this reply is almost a new tutorial :)

Cheers and thnx Faken for the insight ;)

#22 Paint

Paint

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:55 PM

Amazing article! Thanks for sharing, Faken! These articles at P2L really help me. I am just now getting into the WWW, and P2L helps me every step of the way! Again, great article, this stuff keeps me comming back for more.

#23 Nerdstyle

Nerdstyle

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:55 AM

Yeah this was a really cool article. I just recently started realizing all this stuff you wrote about, such as posting on forums and getting link exchanges and stuff. Thanks again. ;D

#24 BackEnThaWomb

BackEnThaWomb

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:19 AM

great article..thanks

#25 Boom

Boom

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:51 PM

yea great article, thanks for sharing.

#26 proxinated

proxinated

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:♥♥♥ Ashley McCall ♥♥♥

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:40 PM

Creative. Im going to try all these. thanks

#27 Danny

Danny

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts
  • Interests:web design

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:30 AM

Just to add a small little input into this, google doesnt read meta tags, it bases its keywords on the most common words in your content.

I.e for my site they are Cost effective web design, Free, Lookingsharp, Members and Home.

The keywords i had actually set are Cost effective, Cost effective web design, Web design and ecommerce.

A small little trick is use keywords in your title, Its a rare known fact that alot of search engines base your keywords almost entirely on your title

<title>Lookingsharp.co.uk - Cost effective web design</title>

Also always include ror feeds and sitemaps where ever possible.

A small little trick i use is embedded code, and image urls. For example i have <link ref... (blah blah) ../ror.xml> under my <title></title> tags, and image links to both ror.xml and Sitemap.xml. It means that the search engines spiral my website.

Meaning they first read the embedded tag (ror.xml), they list all of the links listed in there, begin to crawl the rest of my site and then get redirected via the image link back to my ror.xml and with the addition of my sitemap.xml causing them to spiral my site. This ensures All of my links are read.

Its also a good idea to setup a cron job to auto update your sites ror and sitemap feeds.

Hope it helps further.

As for the link exchanges, ill happily exchange links with any one :mellow:

Edited by Danny, 13 June 2006 - 08:31 AM.

#28 Tec222

Tec222

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:51 PM

wow that accually helped alot thanks!

#29 kalcium kid

kalcium kid

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:06 AM

Nice guide and should be a sticky, woah P2L been around that long :)

#30 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:44 AM

For those of you that are saying Google does not read meta tags, I believe this is false, because search results on google clearly show the meta description within the result.

Search for "swift tutorials" on google and you'll notice that P2L is the first result.

Here's the displayed result record:

Swift 3D Tutorials - Pixel2LifeSwift 3D Tutorials. Pixel2life is the largest tutorial search engine on the internet catering to graphic designers and programmers.
www.pixel2life.com/tutorials/Swift_3D/All/?PHPSESSID=cff5b7a443f0c353bc254dadc671b833 - 73k - Cached - Similar pages

If we look at that, you will see this...

Pixel2LifeSwift 3D Tutorials. Pixel2life is the largest tutorial search engine on the internet catering to graphic designers and programmers.

That's from the meta keys...

Dan

#31 The_pro_designer

The_pro_designer

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:I am a Graphics designer, I work at Target, and I have a beautiful girlfriend names Mckenna. &lt;3 Thats about it.

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:09 AM

Yes, when my Father used to run a very successful Helavasearch websearch.. althgough he used alot of tricks... His meta took in google also.. :blink: Then in alot of results...google banned him because he had over 80 million pages indexed.. each search result got indexed. :\ err that was altavista when it was still ran better way back when.. google just cut him down alot for less..

lol :D (dont ask me how he did it.. he was ranked 8,000 on alexa at one point though..)

:)

#32 Raven-X

Raven-X

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:I love having fun, programming, web design, graphic design, gaming, anime, manga, and being a student (love learning new software).

Posted 11 November 2006 - 01:12 AM

Just when I thought I had it all down, I read this and get shocked. I have been using one set of key words for my forums in an area called global headers. Which means only one set of keywords were being utilized. I think I'll do some configuration now, I have butterflies, lol.

#33 sp0173d_24

sp0173d_24

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Web Designing, Learning Multimedia,Programming

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:23 AM

really helps for me. cause im starting studying seo. thanks faken keep up

#34 Mark

Mark

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 08:14 PM

Fantastic article - nice work, Faken! ;)

#35 Burford

Burford

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Design, Websites, Poker

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:48 AM

Didn't read it all, but i'm sure it's a nice article. Should the title perhaps be "How to get TRAFFIC to your new site."?

#36 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:29 AM

Didn't read it all, but i'm sure it's a nice article. Should the title perhaps be "How to get TRAFFIC to your new site."?

Then maybe you should read the article instead of worrying about the topic title.

#37 Drunkn_Munky

Drunkn_Munky

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 07:59 AM

The best method for keywords is how your site is linked to. That's how Google bombing works, and if you type liar or failure in Google and click "I'm feeling lucky" you'll see how effective it is, yet those words don't appear on the sites at all. So make sure you get people to link to you with good keywords.

#38 miraga715

miraga715

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 09:49 AM

This is great. Been trying to do this to my site for a longtime now and I haven't got my site off the ground maybe this time after reading this article I'll be able to do better.

#39 _*Creative Insanity_*

_*Creative Insanity_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 02:37 AM

Hey Dan I read that with a dropped mouth. That is exactly the path I took with one of my sites that I am passionate about. I am stunned that 2 people came up with the same tactics.
Just goes to show totally different results from the same process. P2L excels and mine still suffers (mind you only been a year so early days).
But yeah I am rather stunned that 2 people at separate sides of the world can come up with the same tactics.
Just look at my sig.. hehe (the green one).

#40 BradyValentino

BradyValentino

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:Web design and development. Photography. Astronomy.

Posted 23 June 2007 - 01:00 PM

Great article Faken
Thanks. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users