Photo

creating icons - Photoshop or Illustrator?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blackrose

blackrose

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

Hi Everyone!

This is sort of a survery, I am just confused which is a better software option in terms of creating icons for Iphone applications. Should it be Photoshop or Illustrator? I am just confused on what I should try learning and opting for.

Thanks and have a great day!

Rose

#2 Spide®™

Spide®™

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:38 AM

I would say, go with the one you like to use best, Illustrator = true vector , and can be sized bigger without loss
But your fine with Photoshop too , just make your icons a bit bigger then what you need them for, the icons on iPhone are PNG files , my iPhone 3g should be here next week, so i will be making some my self, i always use photoshop though , coz iam comfy with that program

Heres some icons i was working on, for dock programs on the PC , did these in photoshop, so you cant really tell the difrance if you do them right

Attached File  YahooIcon1.jpg   521.98KB   32 downloads

#3 Jacorre

Jacorre

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Technology, Internet, Graphic/Web Design, Music, Soccer

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:03 PM

Yeah it depends on what your comfortable with. But it also depends on the purpose for the icons. Illustrator is for vector based design, whereas Photoshop is not. What that means is that a vector based design can be sized up/down without any loss of quality. You can size down in Photoshop but not up. That's when the design becomes pixelated. If you design at a higher resolution in Photoshop that may help because you can always size it down later on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users