helpvids

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Computers, gadgets, webdesign, webdevelopment, online training

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:32 AM

Hi please give me some feedback on my website: http://www.helpvids.com

We are hoping to overhaul the site in the next few weeks. There are loads of graphic inconsistencies.

All your honoust feedback will be added to the list. In fact if there is anyone that would like to help us out with the graphic design I would love to see your portfolio.

Thanks in advance.

#2 SemiProTuts.com

SemiProTuts.com

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:57 PM

reviewmydesign.net can offer you pretty darn good advice from pros, for free (just sign up). :)

#3 helpvids

helpvids

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:45 AM

reviewmydesign.net can offer you pretty darn good advice from pros, for free (just sign up). :D

Ok, I will have a look at the website and see what they think. I am currently redisigning the current helpvids layout to a lighter background. So when I am finished I will upload it there and see what they think.

#4 Elrohier

Elrohier

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 04:02 PM

I wont go too deep, but there are a few things that stand out that need changing.

The top banner with the video, make it a higher resolution. It looks VERY unprofesstional in the fact you can see the grain. Also the red button does not look good. The pre-made shine looks terrible.

Also, the top link bar, when you hover over a different button the colour change is good enough, you don't need it to be underlined too.

On the sides of the navigation it seems as though it just starts with no transition from the black to the content area. Even a 1 pixel border would be better, otherwise it bothers the eye.

In the header image, there seems to be a gray border around it? Is it intentional? It doesn't seem like it to me.

Hope that helped.

#5 helpvids

helpvids

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 03:00 AM

That is great feedback Elrohier.

You are spot on with the graphics. We are changing to a white background but with a black header, so the header will stay the same, apart from that we are changing the layout and features this weekend. I will take your advice on board in the changes.

Thanks.

#6 Elrohier

Elrohier

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:21 PM

I saw your new design today. A vast improvement, but it could still be better. Though somethings are difficult to communicate through words since the design is visual, but ill try.

The main thing though is the fact you still have low resolution images on your site. Your 'Ready to Learn Software?' banner is still much to low a resolution to be taken seriously. As is your Windows 7 icon in the categories bar on the home page.

You still have the link bars link creating a roll-over underline. You don't need it because of the colour change.

With your main header and your now gradient background, there is some contrast, but you could make it more pronounced. Maybe adding a one pixel wide line separating the black and the dark grey from the start of the gradient. I'm not sure what colour, that could be up to you, but maybe a white or a lighter grey than the starting grey.

One thing that needs changing would be the fact you need borders or something to separate 'Featured Tutorials' from the background. Otherwise it will seem incomplete. And with 'Featured Tutorials' the background grey is to dark. Try lighting it up to make more of a contrast to the text colour to it makes you want to read it. With this area to, the images specificity add a one pixel border, it will make it seem more professional. Either black or white will do. With the lines separating the tutorials it might look good to make them a white instead, because then the lines will connect with the background, making them less floaty; and it will make the tutorials seem like they each have there own box.

Lastly (Since I have to get to class), you have to be consistent with your widths and your separations between boxes. For example, your 'Ready to Learn Software?' banner should be the same distance away from 'Popular Categories' as your 'Testimonials' box is. And that distance should be the same distance it is from the top to the link-bar. It's side should also be even with everything else on the left, its a bit to much right, right now. And this also applies to your members login below the popular categories, its not even or lining up.

Just remember, stream lining is good.

Hope this helps.

Matt.

#7 helpvids

helpvids

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:59 AM

Wow Matt.

You're on a roll. LOL

Really appreciate your comments. I still haven't finished updating the design. The purple box is temporary, we couldn't get the css done quick enough. Unfortunately when we started implementing the changes we thought it would be a matter of hours, but has turned out to take a bit longer, as usual.

The lines in the buttons are still on my list, just haven't gotten round to it.

The grey has to go, like you said, but haven't been able to do it yet, we are going to try to have the background gradient running through.

Do you like the new logo? I think it pops a lot more.

It has been a crazy weekend photoshopping, css-ing (if those are vebs) and debugging. I think we should be 85% ready by the end of the week.

You seem to really know your stuff Matt, I Really appreciate your honest feedback. You're one of the few.:)

What's your field, I take it you are studying, design?

#8 Elrohier

Elrohier

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:17 AM

The logo is good, but it might look better if you move it up one more pixel.

And I am currently in a Fine Arts program, but might be switching into Display and Design.

Post when it's done and ill give it another go.

Matt.

#9 helpvids

helpvids

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 11:55 AM

Ok, will do.

As you can see we have taken your advice to heart.:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users