5 replies to this topic

#1 Gary

Gary

Officially in the P2L Archives

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:41 AM

It must sound funny or odd, but I am specifically looking for a forum software that is both simple yet powerful. When I say simple, I mean something that doesn't look extremely confusing to my audience/clients yet still has the ability to be powerful in regards to offering what I want, allowing me to modify it both aesthetically and also behind-the-scenes.

I am opening a hosting service with my site, and the forum will be an extremely large part of the whole operation. It will be the place where support will be found and will act as a knowledgebase for my clients and potential clients. It will also be a place of general discussion, and as expected, I will need various groups created with specific permissions and what not to suit different needs (this is another factor where the 'powerful' side of things comes in).

I don't want to be limited, yet I don't want to be overwhelmed with a confronting forum software.

Suggestions and constructive criticism is gladly accepted (I need as much of it within the next week as that is when I want to begin development).

Hope to hear from you guys and girls soon! :)

#2 Demonslay

Demonslay

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts
  • Location:A strange world where water falls out of the sky... for no reason.
  • Interests:Graphic Design, Coding, Splinter Cell, Cats

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:23 PM

If you are looking for free stuff, I would steer you towards phpBB. It should be exactly what you are looking for; it lets you do about anything you could ask of a forum software, including mods and templating, complete admin control of everything, and a simple interface. I personally like it compared to other free boards I've seen or worked with.

Another free one I've seen, but not used myself is vBulletin.

If you are looking for something you would pay for, then I would highly recommend IPB, which is what this site uses if you want a prime example. I've worked alot with IPB myself, and I love it - even better I've loved that I was never the one paying the license. :)

#3 Gary

Gary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 02:28 AM

vBulletin isn't free, it's paid forum software. :)

I've used IPB, but I want to use a free solution so that I know that it will always remain free and I want the specific forum software to not be limited with features and/or modifications (whether or not they are created yet). A major feature that I am looking for is to have the ability to have points or some sort of cash system to use for my free hosting side of things, where my clients will use their points as payment for their hosting accounts.

phpBB are indeed a good free solution and I thank you for recommending them. Are there any others that you would like to recommend Demonslay? Or is there anyone else that would like to provide me with some feedback?

#4 hunnydesigns

hunnydesigns

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:47 AM

Have you tried proboards?

#5 Gary

Gary

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:43 AM

I have tried it hunnydesigns, but I do not like using forum software that is remotely hosted (where I do not have completely control over the software). Proboards, ZetaBoards and any other remotely hosted forum software is completely out of the question in this situation unfortunately.

#6 synn

synn

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:25 PM

SMF is simple and powerful. It lacks good themes though but default one with few modification is good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users