3 replies to this topic

#1 spleen

spleen

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:31 PM

So I've not visited this site for about a year as I don't really need the tutorials. As I scroll through the php page, a tutorial catches my eye, "Advanced and Secured member system", maybe there is something I can learn here, advanced sure sounds interesting, so I load up the link and what do I see? Some poorly written code with no "secure" features as stated etc etc.

Now maybe I'm overreacting but this is not the standard I used to expect here. Are you guys taking any sort of content these days? Because someone new to php is going to look at the script and think it's safe to write their code like that. Sure there's tutorials on security and so on but people should know as much as needed and a tutorial should actually teach what it says it will.

Troll me, flame me, ban me, I don't care, but I wonder, do the mods even read these tutorials any more?

#2 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:09 PM

No worries Spleen, your feedback is always welcome as long as you're civil :) Here's a couple of points:

1. I think I know the one you are talking about, I'm assuming it's this one:

http://www.pixel2lif..._php_and_mysql/

Now, I am not a programmer, I don't know jack about PHP or any other programming language with only a basic understanding of HTML. I draw the pretty pictures and manage the site etc... I approve the tutorials so all I can do is review the content in terms of is the code explained, it is decently written, does the site work etc? Do I look at the code itself for errors? No. And it is impossible for anyone to review the volume of tutorials we get that way, even if I could understand what exactly the code does. So to answer your question, yes, the tutorials are checked for content structure and repetition, but no I don't look over all the code.

2. No I can't find someone to do that, it would take HOURS to just get through a half-days worth of tutorial submissions to read all the code, plus I would have to have an army to cover each and every category ;)

3. There is a comment and rating tool for each and every tutorial, USE IT!!! A tutorial sucks? Then rate it and leave a comment on why it sucks... I can promise you that the tutorial author has a MUCH higher chance of reading your feedback there than they will if you post here in the site support section. I know for a fact that many webmasters keep an eye on the tutorials they submit to our index, so if you leave a comment, not only will they likely see it, you have a good chance they will respond if you were constructive.

4. I have been approving tutorials on P2L for 7 years, and the parameters of what I accept and what I decline haven't changed much over the years. I still decline much more than I approve unfortunately.

5. "Troll me, flame me, ban me, I don't care" that kinda sounds kinkay! ;)

Thanks for your feedback, feel free to write back :)

Dan

#3 Hayden

Hayden

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:28 PM

Not sure if anybody is actually taking advantage of the rating system on the tutorials but that is where it would come in handy. If it didn't meet your satisfaction then rate it down.

I think that a lot of people are in a rush to get something out to fill their "blog" with information that they forget to put some quality into it.

:P

#4 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:03 AM

Exactly, that's why you guys need to rate and comment on tutorials... show those content creators what you guys think, be it negative or positive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users