Photo

Should P2L Tutorials have a "Tagging" system?

tagging feedback

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 1P0

1P0

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:05 AM

As everybody can see, Pixel2Life.com organize tutorials in a Tree of categories.
So far, each tutorial should only pertain to one category.

We are thinking if it can be useful for a tutorial to be placed in more than one category at a time, so if you have a tutorial that uses Photoshop to accomplish something to be used in WordPress, you can put the tutorial in both categories, "Photoshop" and "WordPress".

That will keep the current directory tree and expand it with some more options.

In the other hand, a system of tagging can be introduced. As you can see, this topic is marked with two tags, "tagging" and "feedback".
That's because we updated the forums software to do that.

Another example is GMail.com They use "tags" so each user can organize its content with tags.

Perhaps is a good idea to use it in the tutorial listing of P2L.

What do you think?
  • Vofffluroda likes this

#2 RubthoutT

RubthoutT

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

xxxxx

#3 BlueBoden

BlueBoden

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:46 AM

I'm not to sure about tags. The thing about tags, is that it has a tendency to become bloated, so people rarely click on them to browse the different categories.
Theres not really any differance between tags and categories, so creating a new tagging systems seems like a lot of work.

It would however be useful if, it was possible for Tutorials to be placed in multiple categories.
  • 1P0 likes this

#4 1P0

1P0

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:47 PM

Hi BlueBoden, we're going to take that into account.
There are some sites that implement a tag system that their users actually use like: http://stackoverflow.com/tags

Also, gmail.com from Google uses a system of "labels" to organize the emails in an account. You can have nested labels, and create filters to automatically categorize incoming emails and even skip the inbox, so you can browse them by using the labels navigator on the left as if they were folders.

But is true that it requires effort and have some risks regarding SEO I guess :|

#5 BlueBoden

BlueBoden

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:43 AM

It doesn't sound to bad, come to think of it. I was thinking about using a tagging system for our own resources, (since its currently a big manually sorted mess).

The db queries can be rather complicated with all those joins however. But once they are in place, at least you don't have to mess with it to often.

I haven't really put enough thought into this, to decide whether it would be useful or not. But perhaps it could be useful to categorize the tags? That way you get the best from both systems.
  • 1P0 likes this

#6 1P0

1P0

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

Yes, as you said, one of the biggest challenges with tags is that you generate many to many relationships, in other words, one tutorial can have many tags and one tag can be tagging many tutorials.
There some place that talk about this presenting MySQL schemas to do it:
http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/TagSchema
http://www.pui.ch/ph...se-schemas.html
and more in Google.

To handle the queries, it is by far better, to use Solr (http://lucene.apache.org/solr/)
That will give almost real time answer to complex queries. Is a "Google like" search engine that can get information from SQL sources to generate one or more indexes.

I have a Solr installation running for test, so I'll check if that works for big databases.

#7 lily33

lily33

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

Good infos, thanks for sharing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users