16 replies to this topic

#1 Zeus

Zeus

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 04:13 PM

If I had the educational version of photoshop cs1, and I go to get an upgrade say from here

http://www.amazon.co...4174748-2813533

would my educational cs1 version become a standard cs2 version where all the regulations of the educational version disappear and I can put these images on a profit website? Please help me out here.

#2 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 04:33 PM

If you want to go from educational software to Full you will need to pay the difference to make it a full version, to be able to make a profit or earn any income.

Adobe or studica.com are the places you need to get the correct information on this, if I was you I would contact Adobe support.

#3 Zeus

Zeus

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 04:55 PM

I don't get it. And adobe customer support isn't on sundays

#4 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:03 PM

it says any version, so i'd estimate so, but i'd wait and get clarification from adobe customer support themselves first before buying!

#5 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:15 PM

I don't get it. And adobe customer support isn't on sundays

Use their Forums

http://www.adobe.com...orums/main.html

or email where you originally obtained your educational licence, as they will have all your details.

Studica has a support number: 1 (888) 561 - 7521 give them a call and ask.

#6 Zeus

Zeus

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:29 PM

I don't understand how or why Adobe is supposed to know or care how much you spent on the first educational version that you bought and how much you spent for the upgrade. Out of all the times I asked about the cs2 upgrade, this is the first I'm hearing of this.

#7 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:41 PM

I don't understand how or why Adobe is supposed to know or care how much you spent on the first educational version that you bought and how much you spent for the upgrade. Out of all the times I asked about the cs2 upgrade, this is the first I'm hearing of this.

maybe I'm mis understanding what your trying to do.

you already own a educational copy?

you want to upgrade so you can make a profit?

For example:
http://www.studica.c...o_can_order.cfm if you read you needed to verify you were entitled to use educational copies.

Bu this is a question to ask whom ever it was you obtained your educational licence from, thats why i gave you Studica's number as they will answer this correctly for you.

#8 Zeus

Zeus

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:53 PM

Ok I'll look into it. Let me explain what I want to do. I want to take my CS1 educational copy of photoshop (bought legally), buy the CS2 upgrade for windows from amazon, and get the standard license so that I may make profits for my work done in photoshop (legally). All I want to know is if buying this upgrade will get me the full license to make profits for my work. The title on amazon says "cs2 upgrade [ALL VERSIONS]", which includes the educational version.

#9 Zeus

Zeus

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:00 PM

Ok I got cs2 and registed, activated, ect. I read the EULA in the "legal" folder of photoshop cs2 and I see nothing that says I can't put my work online or that I can't sell it for a profit. If I'm wrong about this can someone direct me to the specific article that says I can't sell things or put them online? Thanks

#10 adam123

adam123

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts
  • Interests:Programming and stuff.

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:31 PM

Ok I got cs2 and registed, activated, ect. I read the EULA in the "legal" folder of photoshop cs2 and I see nothing that says I can't put my work online or that I can't sell it for a profit. If I'm wrong about this can someone direct me to the specific article that says I can't sell things or put them online? Thanks

I thought you wanted to know whether you could upgrade not whether you could sell your work?
<_< I'm confused...

#11 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:55 PM

You never contacted Adobe about this yet?

Nobody here can answer you in this we don't sell the software not work for the Company so any advice we give may or may not be correct, email them they'll respond :D Studica can also answer this for you.

#12 Zeus

Zeus

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:26 PM

I thought you wanted to know whether you could upgrade not whether you could sell your work?
:D I'm confused...

No I knew I could upgrade my version the whole time, I just wanted to make sure that when I installed the upgrade I was going from an educational license to a standard one.

Also do I get charged for calling adobe customer support?

#13 Zeus

Zeus

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:20 PM

If you want to go from educational software to Full you will need to pay the difference to make it a full version, to be able to make a profit or earn any income.

Not according to these guys at the Adobe forums

http://[email protected]/0

#14 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:48 PM

Ok I done some more searches:

And yes I read what he said so it made me go looking again:

FAQ for Adobe Products

A. Professional/Commercial Use
student question:

"I'm very interested in buying ie. Creative Suite, but first I want to know if this can be used to produce work for paying customers once we are working in the industry, or do we have to buy a different version of Creative Suite once we're working in the industry?”
answer:
Good News! Adobe Education software (any title!) can be used to produce commercial/professional paid-for work when they leave school, or even while they are in school. In this regard, Adobe does not limit how the student software is used. So students can use it to learn, and to make money!
(Of course, students must agree to the terms of the End User Licensing Agreement - which happens during installation - just as every software customer must do.)

B. Education Version
student question:
“Is the Education version a lesser version? How is it different than the more expensive retail version I see being sold at other computer stores?”
answer:
The education version and retail version are virtually identical – we do not modify the software itself. To differentiate the product offering between education and retail, we may remove some clip art, or some fonts, or other non application resources. So really, the only difference is price. Student customers need to be reassured that this as an opportunity to get the “full version” without paying the “full price”.

C. After Graduation
student question:

“What happens after I graduate? If a new version comes out that I want to buy, do I have to buy the full new retail version or can I save money and just buy the retail upgrade?
answer:
Students are able to continue to use their education version serial number when they leave school to “upgrade” to future commercially priced versions if they want to, rather than having to buy the “full” next version. So they save money now while they are students, and after they graduate!

So finally we got the answers, taken from Studica under FAQ for PS

#15 Zeus

Zeus

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 08:52 PM

So basically I'm all set and I can sell things now that I have the upgrade?

#16 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:10 PM

So basically I'm all set and I can sell things now that I have the upgrade?

Looks like it hey :)

Good luck

#17 Zeus

Zeus

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:29 PM

thanks for all the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users