Photo

Want a layout you designed featured in a P2L tut?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
69 replies to this topic

#1 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:34 AM

UPDATE: Congratulations to GRIFFIN for submitting the winning entry! Thanks to everyone who took the time to send me a layout for this tutorial!!

Well it looks like due to VERY popular demand, I will be writing a complete site layout slicing and coding tutorial in the near future. My last tutorial on this topic was how to slice and code a small content box, and it's been very popular and has spawned TONS of emails on how to do other things using my slicing techniques.

So, just to prove that my tricks to slicing work with pretty much ANY layout, I'm going to let you guys submit and choose which layout I use for the tutorial! I have no personal preference to the style, so if you would like to submit a template for this tutorial, please do so by sending an email to info (at) pixel2life.com (replace (at) with @) and attach your template in JPG format. I will give full credit to the owner/designer of the template in the tutorial itself and you will still retain complete ownership of the layout. I will use it for the tutorial and nothing else. I will also return the layout to you fully sliced and coded in an HTML template as a thank you for lending me your template ;)

I will be accepting submissions for the next couple of weeks at the most and will contact the winning submission only. Keep your eyes on this thread for updates and a submission closure announcement.

Thanks in advance to anyone that decides to lend me a template ;)

Faken

#2 _*Repono_*

_*Repono_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:07 AM

Hey Faken.
I have a new template ready for slicing soon for my site www.designresources.tk.
If you want to have a look at it you can see it here
I'm not too great with slicing so it would be absolutely GREAT if you used mine :D.
Thanks ;)

EDIT: Sorry i missed the bit about sending in an email...ill do that now :unsure:

#3 alexames

alexames

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Webdesign / Graphics / Cars

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:23 AM

Woah good work Faken! Looking foreward to it! :unsure:

#4 _*Joel@JHD_*

_*Joel@JHD_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2005 - 07:45 AM

Ooooooo, Me already know how to, but it might be cool!

Joel@JHD

#5 Dabu

Dabu

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:25 AM

Ohh even I could use this....I dispise slicing maybe you will make my life easier.

#6 mgnus

mgnus

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:18 AM

I have a layout. I know how to code or sometimes have ps code it for meh :unsure: but ill give this to you if you wanna code it for a tutorial. Im working on it to develop my skills, but maybe you could sell it.

Posted Image

#7 Phantom

Phantom

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:50 AM

it's easy if u use DW, but since faken is the one making the tut, i will keep my mouth shut :unsure:

#8 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:24 AM

it's easy if u use DW, but since faken is the one making the tut, i will keep my mouth shut :unsure:

Actually, DW solves nothing when it comes to slicing, and slicing your website intelligently is about 90% of the battle. Anyone who tries to auto slice with something like Fireworks ends up with loads of problems, and many people do not understand using cells to arrange data with multiple columns.

Slicing and coding a really complicated layout takes time and planning or you end up with a mess and/or a very poorly designed layout.

Faken

#9 mgnus

mgnus

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:28 AM

Slicing can be done good. But most people don't know how to do it correctly and it makes like 50 images that are only like 5 pixels big. Also you can make it code it in xhtml and css divs ;) I love the save for web / slice functions ;) dreamweaver helps alot too though.

#10 adam123

adam123

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts
  • Interests:Programming and stuff.

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:34 AM

I have a layout. I know how to code or sometimes have ps code it for meh ;) but ill give this to you if you wanna code it for a tutorial. Im working on it to develop my skills, but maybe you could sell it.

He said e-mail ;)

#11 _*Joel@JHD_*

_*Joel@JHD_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:25 PM

I use fireworks and auto export I have no problems, (except with colors ;) ) LOL

Joel@JHD

#12 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:57 PM

Most people that use a slicing program for a complicated layout end up with a layout with content boxes that completely screwd up when they try to expand the box beyond the sliced sizes. It's a common issue with fireworks.

Faken

#13 alexames

alexames

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Webdesign / Graphics / Cars

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:33 PM

I use imageready to slice. Or i did, i use Dreamweaver now, alot better. :)

I still wanna know a better way to slice tho, its alot quicker for simple sites with iFrames.

Someone get a really complex layout for Faken! ;) Might aswell test him. ;)

#14 Chaos King

Chaos King

Senior Programmer

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:36 PM

I'm working on one, xD

If I can hurry fast on it, I can get my version 3 layout coded for free and without using my own time, w00t

#15 maddog4696

maddog4696

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:18 PM

I personally think slicing, is just too much work, and not worth it, I like DIV myself. I mean if your going to design a website, atleast make it where it doesn't take 5 days to load. All these extra, table/cells you don't nee don your website.

#16 Jaymz

Jaymz

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:21 PM

Back on topic please, no need to clutter up the news forum with off-topic discussion ;)

#17 ThaBirdman

ThaBirdman

Pidgeon Trainer

• Twodded Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:58 PM

lol....finally a comprehensive (i assume) slicing/coding topic....im still a total n00b w/coding and some crappy tutorials ive read have only led to more confusion...

If this is as good as teh content box tut i will be very happy! (and as we know, that is what really matters <3)

#18 Griffin

Griffin

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • Interests:Things I find interesting.

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:37 PM

ill be sending in my template.....since im designing a more professional one i could get Faken to slice this then ill sell it <3 lol.

#19 TMZHosting LLC

TMZHosting LLC

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:27 PM

hey faken can i send you the psd of my template and you slice it i think it would be better like that since i trust you. So can we send the psd's?

#20 Griffin

Griffin

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • Interests:Things I find interesting.

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:45 PM

You dont need to send the PSD for him to be able to slice it. Just save the template as a Jpg and send that. Unless he wants you to send him the PSD...then ignore me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users