#1 Wazzup

Wazzup

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 217 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:16 AM

Hey,

Im a noob when it comes to 3d programs, but hope to start off learning the ropes of it soon. But for now i have three questions: With what program would models of say half life 2 be made? And if there are multiple programs just name them all, im really curious and then my second question, the 3d animation movies coming out every once and a while in cinema's what program would those be made with? And what 3d program would be ok to start with?

greetz, Snuur

#2 Jamie Huskisson

Jamie Huskisson

Retired P2L Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,648 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:27 AM

half life 2 is 100% made in softImage XSI

you can get a free license for this - it comes with the Source SDK threough Steam and they have lots of example pieces to help you build levels/models in there too :)

#3 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:55 AM

i think movies like finding nemo and that new one with animals escaping from the zoo are made in maya

start learning to model in 3d with max or c4d

#4 BeaverElfeater

BeaverElfeater

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:12 AM

matrix had some elements in maya, madagascar, finding nemo, shrek 1 and 2, and LOTR

thats what i kno could be more

#5 Stu

Stu

Retired P2L Staff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:20 AM

yeah i think maya is generally the most used 3d software in the movie/animation industry... theres another thing too developed by pixar studios i think not sure what it is though ill try find out

Edit: https://renderman.pixar.com/ , so as you can see, toy stroy 1 and 2, a bugs life, finding nemo (my bad), monster inc, the incredible, and cars were all made with that... think that kind of shows you how powerful it is.

#6 SHIVMOO

SHIVMOO

Honoured X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:34 AM

that is a rendering program.. not a moddeling program
"because it is the highest quality renderer available anywhere"

and programs used in movies have many plugins and extra scripts attached to them to make them do what the poeple making the movie want them to do.

#7 ThaBirdman

ThaBirdman

Pidgeon Trainer

• Twodded Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:59 PM

Yea, shiv's right, these movies we see arent just model+animation = coolness

it also takes serious skillz/cash and multiple programs to make these things come to life

a good one to start with is Cinema 4D, you can get a trial version on their website, just google it :)

its good for beginners but is still VERY powerful

#8 BeaverElfeater

BeaverElfeater

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 01:08 PM

did u know it takes pixar 6 hours to render a single frame, even with thier crazy super computers!

#9 _*coryw68122_*

_*coryw68122_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:33 PM

did u know it takes pixar 6 hours to render a single frame, even with thier crazy super computers!

6 hours!!!! are u sure, that would mean the movie took like 20+ years to complete... lol, considering there can be hundreds of frames per second...

#10 BeaverElfeater

BeaverElfeater

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:01 PM

they render different scenes on different systems and compile it together i think <_<

#11 BaRToNiX

BaRToNiX

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 08:28 PM

Most of the modellers that worked on halo *not for sure* but it's most likley a big chunk used 3DS Max, and probably a few used Maya, game development companies prefer 3DS Max over Maya, but alot of cinimatic oriented buisnesses like Maya, Such as for films, and effects, 3D animations. You can use Maya for game development, the two are basicly the same, except with a different UI. Good luck with 3D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users