http://www.prepressu.../papersizes.htm

thanks dude!

#4 Indigo

Indigo

Official Alien

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Interests:Computing in general, especially design and programming of all kinds.

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:35 PM

That's a good recource, thanks man! Maybe it should be posted in the recources-forum?

#5 Ghost

Ghost

Honored P2L Member

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 04:54 PM

There's also a predefined size for some paper sizes. Just select them from the drop down at the Create new document pop up :blush:

#6 SimplicityDesigns

SimplicityDesigns

BaseballHeadDan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:Web/graphics design

Posted 13 April 2006 - 08:20 AM

I have a problem...when using the page that was posted above, it comes out square. When I use the Letter option from the drop down menu in Photoshop, it comes out like 3x too big. I know that it's the whole Resolution thing that throws me off. I was wondering how I can get the exact Letter size so when I print a PDF to send to Staples for printing, it will show up without cheap scaling.

-BBHD

#7 BenNadler

BenNadler

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy music, certain sports, video games, and almost all kinds of art forms. I especialy enjoy using Photoshop and Illustrator, which are the primary tools in my work. I attend Sonona Academy in Santa Rosa, CA. I spend a lot of my time song writing and hanging out with my girlfriend, and the rest is usually absorbed in school work and real work.

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:34 AM

By all means, send them a large picture. Scaling only looks bad when things are being scaled down, and in fact it might even look nicer and crisper scaled down. :)

#8 SimplicityDesigns

SimplicityDesigns

BaseballHeadDan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:11 AM

I still would like to know the correct paper size/pixel resoulution for further use, though.

-BBHD

#9 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:47 AM

k,
here comes the math part, it isnt difficult you know:

f.ex.
you need full printed A4 page, and you know ppl are gonna watch it at close range, so you want crisp type and sharp contours --> this means you decide (which never happens imho) you wanna print it at 300 dpi on a laserprinter:

A4 297 210 11.69 8.27

calculation: 11.69 inches x 300 pixels/inch = 3507 pixels long
8.27 inches x 300 pixels/inch = 2481 pixels wide

So, this would mean you'd have to make a Photoshopfile of 2481 x 3507 pixels at a resolution of 300 dpi.

(plz dont ever do that :wacko: , the file would be 24,9 MB big BEFORE you have 1 object on it. 10fold this when you got some layers and effects on it)

#10 SimplicityDesigns

SimplicityDesigns

BaseballHeadDan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 02:26 PM

Lol...I have no clue what you're talking about. Is A4 the same size as letter? And 2481 x 3507 is too big - I tried it.

-BBHD

#11 BenNadler

BenNadler

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy music, certain sports, video games, and almost all kinds of art forms. I especialy enjoy using Photoshop and Illustrator, which are the primary tools in my work. I attend Sonona Academy in Santa Rosa, CA. I spend a lot of my time song writing and hanging out with my girlfriend, and the rest is usually absorbed in school work and real work.

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:03 PM

Just use inches instead of pixels. Measure a letter, open Photoshop, and put in inches instead of pixels. Should work.

#12 SimplicityDesigns

SimplicityDesigns

BaseballHeadDan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 07:56 AM

That doesn't work either. It's the pixel resolution that's the problem.

-BBHD

#13 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:42 AM

I did explain, but i'll try another way:

suppose you took a picture with a digital camera and you had the following settings (on your camera): 1280 x 960.
So the picture you took is 1280 pixels wide and 960 pixels high (and bdw at this point this has nothing to do with the "dpi-resolution")

Now, when you import this picture in photoshop, it will obviously still be 1280 pixels wide and 960 pixels high.

Now if you want to print this, the dpi comes into play:

question:
can i print this photo with good quality in "lettersize-format"?

Calculation:
Lettersize format is (in landscape) 11 inches wide and 8.50 inches high
So...
1280 : 11 = ca.116 dpi
960 : 8.5 = ca.113dpi.

Conclusion:
In photoshop you would need to change the settings in ca. 115 dpi, which means you will see the pixels and the quality would be mediocre.
(normally they say that ppl wont notice any pixels from 120 - 150 dpi)

Remark:
so you cant change the pixels x pixels from a drawing (without loosing some of the quality that is), but depending on the dpi-value in your settings the same picture will be smaller or bigger when you print it.

Screenresolution is usually 72 dpi
Printresolution 120dpi, 150 dpi, 200 dpi or 300 dpi, rarely ppl go beyond 300, and always try to have a resolution which is a "whole division" of your printer resolution (just to avoid some other issues).

Edited by Scythar, 14 April 2006 - 10:53 AM.

#14 SimplicityDesigns

SimplicityDesigns

BaseballHeadDan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 04:32 PM

:wtf:

I still have no clue. So you're saying.....if I want to just get a white document in photoshop - that's it - that's the same size as a real piece of paper, I have to use a 1280x960 document with a resolution (that's the number - I think usually 72 - in the box under "document size") of 115?

#15 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Music: HIM, HIM, HIM, Cafe del Mar, Linkin Park, Fort Minor, Coldplay, Eric Jordan<br />Sports: Snowboarding, KiteSurfing, Extreme Sports<br />Computer: Flash, After Effects, Actionscript

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:10 PM

An A4 page by 150dpi should be: 1240x1754px (portrait format)
with 300dpi (I normally work with 300dpi for my printing stuff) would be 2480x3508

#16 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 04:50 AM

I give up :wtf:

#17 SimplicityDesigns

SimplicityDesigns

BaseballHeadDan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:07 AM

An A4 page by 150dpi should be: 1240x1754px (portrait format)
with 300dpi (I normally work with 300dpi for my printing stuff) would be 2480x3508

So I do this:

Posted Image

But that comes out way too big. My problem is the numbers in the "Resolution" box. I tried 11x8.5 in inches and a resolution around 96-98 usually works, but it's not exact.
-BBHD

#18 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 02:35 PM

Like i said:
the dpi has nothing to do with the 1240 x 1754 resolution

like the settings you have there the picture would be 8.27 inch wide and 11.7 inch tall --> ca. the A4 format (off course, it wont print all of it, since most printer are no edge-to-edge printers and need some kind of marge)

now, if you would change that setting to 300 dpi, without changing the pixels your drawing would be only 10.5 cm wide and 14.85 cm high (a quarter of a A4 page)

I know i said i gave up, but i never mean that, so dont worry... keep asking.

#19 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Music: HIM, HIM, HIM, Cafe del Mar, Linkin Park, Fort Minor, Coldplay, Eric Jordan<br />Sports: Snowboarding, KiteSurfing, Extreme Sports<br />Computer: Flash, After Effects, Actionscript

Posted 16 April 2006 - 05:04 PM

:( I want to create a render than can be printed on a 40″ x 30″ poster in 150 DPI:

Open your calculator and simply multiply the dimensions in inches by the DPI level you want. So, for a this poster size, you would calculate 40 x 150 and then 30 x 150 to arrive at the final required resultion of 6000 x 4500 pixels. Set your render size to 6000 x 4500 and export away!

Scythar already mentioned and if you read Faken's Blog you will maybe understand it:
http://www.danrichar...e-dpi-equation/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users