Photo

Are your tutorials constantly declined? You should read this!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:40 PM

Hello everyone!

Well now that the server issues has calmed down a bit *knock on wood* and we seem to be sailing a bit smoother, I've been able to get back to some writing, and I am starting the fun with a tutorial based on my experience as the person who goes through the tutorial approval queue. Since opening Pixel2life.com, I have clicked on over 40,000 different tutorial links and it never ceases to amaze me just how low people will go when looking for traffic, or how some people put some amazing effort into their work. Every week I get an email from a disgruntled webmasters who says something along the lines of:

Hey, I submitted 40 tutorials 3 weeks ago and they never got through!!! WTF?!

Well, your site was either dead when I got to it, you didn't follow the submission guidelines, or, your tutorials completely sucked.

To help clear up the mess and maybe remind people of some basic submission parameters we follow, I have written a fairly detailed guide to writing tutorials, submitting them, and determining if you're qualified to write and teach in the first place. You can check it out on my blog at:

Writing an Effective Tutorial That Gets Accepted to Pixel2life and Other Tutorial Portals

It's a blunt and honest look at why 90% of the tutorials submitted to Pixel2life.com are declined and I hope this helps some of you become better tutorial writers and that you achieve greater success when it comes time to submitting them to help build up your sites.

Digg users can Digg the article here!

Thanks and enjoy!

Dan

#2 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:35 PM

Dugg and commented

Maybe too add a Read Me on the submit page that links directly to that article because I trully feel only 3% of lemmings even stop to read anything. That 3% is my stats :(

#3 BigDog

BigDog

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Running, building computers, PC games and BMX and programming.

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:39 PM

Lets hope that really helps.

- thanks

#4 SKETCHi

SKETCHi

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:07 PM

I wrote a rather long comment heh... quite a bit of rambling :(. Nice article Dan.

#5 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 10:48 PM

I wrote a rather long comment heh... quite a bit of rambling :). Nice article Dan.

:( I read your rambles, good rambles I even rambled back. :P

#6 velvis

velvis

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Photoshop and CSS

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:08 AM

informative, thanks.

#7 SebLev

SebLev

Forum Whore is what I am today!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:53 PM

awsome stuff man... true i knew alot of it becaus its mostly commen sense but youd be surprised at how much people dont have commen sense lol :D only problem i would have is spelling :P hahaha

-Seb-

#8 funkysoul

funkysoul

The Funky Stuff

• Publishing Betazoids
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts
  • Interests:Music: HIM, HIM, HIM, Cafe del Mar, Linkin Park, Fort Minor, Coldplay, Eric Jordan<br />Sports: Snowboarding, KiteSurfing, Extreme Sports<br />Computer: Flash, After Effects, Actionscript

Posted 10 April 2006 - 04:27 PM

very nice article Dan! Thanks!!

PS: maybe you can make a TOP5 of the worst tuts you ever got :P "without mentioning names/sites" :D

Edited by funkysoul, 10 April 2006 - 04:28 PM.

#9 AvengeX

AvengeX

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:d&amp;b

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:24 AM

I'm going to link to this on my submission screen for my site, the amount of tutorials I decline on my site is slowly increasing because some people aren't innovative at all.

#10 Escrima

Escrima

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Girls, Web Design, Graphics, Coding, Sports, Art, Photography, Forums

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:04 PM

very nice article Dan! Thanks!!

PS: maybe you can make a TOP5 of the worst tuts you ever got :D "without mentioning names/sites" ^_^

Lol yeah, well this was quite amusing but that was only php and that was quite a while back!

Would be interesting to see :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users