Photo

The contests have begun! P2L's First Photography Contest!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
92 replies to this topic

#1 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 12:28 PM

THIS CONTEST IS OVER - WINNERS POSTED AT http://www.pixel2lif...showtopic=23734

Posted Image

It is my pleasure to announce our first ever Photography Competition, presented by Pixel2life Studios and Canen Art! Canen Art is the photography shop of our very own staff member Jason, who is a professional photographer specializing in breath taking scenery and wildlife photography. His site allows you to download quality wallpapers, stock shots and prints and is constantly being updated with his latest work, which never fails to impress.

Jason has been extremely generous and donated some sweet prizes for this contest, which of course will be photography oriented. Please be sure to read the entire description and rules below to ensure that your entries are received and processed properly. Failure to adhere to the rules will result in your entries getting killed by furry woodland creatures.

UPDATE 07/01/2006: Alright folks, the submission window is now closed, I have compiled the photos for Canen and his fellow judges and I am in the process of uploading everything to him now. I would like to thank everyone that submitted photos (Over 200 submissions!!!) and I wish you all the best of luck in the contest! Winner will be announced by next Friday at the latest!

Competition Description:

It's easy! All you have to do is take at a photo based on at least one of the following 5 subjects:

- Outdoor Scenery
- Wildlife
- Indoor Scene
- Still Life
- People / Portrait

Don't have a camera? No problem... you are also permitted to submit a single digitally created entry based on 1 of the 5 subject categories.

The best photo and digital design wins!

Entry Details:

Only 1 entry photo is permitted for each photo subject category per person. This means you can only submit a maximum of 5 photos and each photo must be for a different subject category.

Only 1 digitally created entry is permitted, and must be relevant to any 1 of the 5 subject categories. This means you can only submit a maximum of 1 digitally created image.

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!

Minor digital touch-ups are permitted to your photos HOWEVER you MUST SUBMIT THE ORIGINAL photo untouched photo as well as the touched up version. So, this means if you do anything to the photo, such as resizing it, adding a watermark, alter colors etc... you must submit the original raw or jpg image from the camera along with your final entry. Failure to submit original photos will automatically disqualify your entry.

If you do any touch-ups, bear in mind the more changes you make means the less you were able to capture with you camera, and you will lose points in judging. So try to keep your images as pure as possible.

For digital entries, you must provide the source files, such as a PSD or the raw file from the 3D application used to create the image.

These actions are taken simply to prevent cheating as much as we possibly can... we have no intentions of using your work, and you retain full rights to the images and source files. By entering this competition, you agree to allow us to post your final entries on the forums to share with the rest of the community who want to see the official entries and the winners. Other than that, we won't be using your goods unless we ask you specifically for permission.

How to Submit:

All entries need to be submitted to me via email at info at pixel2life . com ONLY! PLEASE DO NOT post your entries in this or any other thread for the competition. Be sure to zip EVERYTHING you send to avoid large file sizes and image corruption. If you have any problems at all, simply send me a PM or use the contact page to send me an email at http://www.pixel2life.com/contact/

Judging:

All entries will be collected by me and sent to Jason from Canen Art to be judged by him and a team of 3 additional professional photographers that are not part of the Pixel2life community. They will select a final winning photo and a digitally created image. They will have no knowledge of who's names are attached to which entries, so judging will be completely anonymous until winners are announced. Winners will be announced within 1 week of the competition's end date.

Who Can Enter?

Anyone, including Pixel2life staff, are allowed to enter this contest with the exception of Jason from Canen Art and his fellow judges, and me (Faken). We are the only ones that will be involved in the decision making for this contest, so it's open to all!

Competition Dates

The Photography Competition is open immediately and we will accept entries until Friday, June 30th at 11:59PM Eastern Standard Time.

Prizes:

Jason has put together a GORGEOUS prize that is sure to please any photography buff! The winning photo entry will receive a custom made 11" x 14" print, fully framed and sealed! Here's how it looks:

Posted Image

This photo is of a Snowy Egret. Jason took this photo at the Bear River MBR on May 6, 2006 in the afternoon with his Canon 20D using a 75-300mm zoom lens. The photo is 11x14 foam mounted with an accu-coat to seal the photo from ultraviolet light to prevent fading. The print has also been signed by the photographer. The frame is custom built by Jason and has a white crackle with gold showing through the crackle paint. He's also added a semi-gloss finish to the frame to add just a bit of an antique look.

This print is absolutely gorgeous in person and the frame is BEAUTIFUL! Retail on this prize is over $200!

The winning digitally created image will be awarded at full month's membership at www.canenart.com, where you will be able to download all their screen savers and any of their wallpapers in the 3 desktop sizes they offer.

More Rules:

We're aware that people can obviously cheat, and we'll be looking very hard on any suspicious entries. Do yourself a favor and don't embarrass yourself be sending in something you didn't do... there's a very good chance you'll get caught.

Other than that, be creative and have fun with your camera and good luck in the contest!

Enjoy!
Dan and Jason

Questions Answered:

Q. How will the UK entrants recieve the prize if they win? Surely shipping oversees would be a huge hassle?
A. No worries, we'll take care of shipping, even if it's to Australia.

Q. 1 question, even though i will be taking new images can people submit their old work?
A. Obviously we'd prefer you go out and take some new shots, but naturally we can't really stop people from submitting older work because it's easy to hide.

Q. will things like themes and ideas behind the photo be considered with the judges choosing the photos
A. Judges will be scoring you on both technical merit and artisitic merit

Q. question: what size in pixels should we use at the image?
A. You should shoot in whatever you are comfortable with... don't worry about sending me large files when it comes time to submitting your entries. When you do send in your entries, you should send the original straight from the camera along with your touched up one - even if all you did was resize it.

Q. If I don''t have a camera what should I do then...
A. Use a computer program like Terragen, 3D Studio Max or Photoshop to create your own image based on 1 of the 5 subject categories.

Q. the only problem is that you are goning to recibe a lot of RAWs hehehe
A. That's not a problem... I store all my photos in RAW as well. You can send 10MB attachments per email.

Q. What should the email content be? Just the zipped file with the pictures?
A. It should be a zip containing your photos (10MB Zip max size per email... send as many emails as required). A description of your entry within the body of your email would also be helpful.

Q. Based on fairness of judging how big of a chance does someone have winning with a 3 mp camera versus someone with a 6+ mp camera.... will the digital quality play a role in decision making ...
A. The pixel resolution plays only a small part of the judging, and as most final photos will be resized anyhow, it won't make a huge difference in the final judging. There's more to a camera than just it's MP rating.

Q.Whats the stance on using assitants in the photos
A. Be my guest!

Q. I recently tried out a camera (Canon Rebel Digital SLR) with the 7-point auto focus (blurs the background). I did not get it, however, but stuck to my own Canon A530. It does not have this feature. Will many points be deducted if I blur the background myself in Photoshop, since it is a noticable change?
A. There is no set point system at this time, but that's a fairly significant change... if you can set aperature priority on your camera, you should still be able to pull off this effect. In fact, here's a tutorial I wrote about it: http://www.danrichar...ct-photography/

Q. Some cameras have a time stamp feature which was a really big pain to figure out how to turn it off. Will points be taken off if the time stamp is displayed?
A. Depends if it ruins the shot or not... if it's covering an important detail to the shot, then yes it might... I would think however that it probably won't affect your scoring, but you may want to try and find out how to turn it off anyhow.

Q. can you submit the 5 photos and a digital art peice?
A. Yes

Q. I have a nondigitial Canon Rebel SLR camera, Should I just scan my picture, or would you like me to scan the film as well to show that the picture is really mine?
A. If it's possible to do so, it would be appreciated to curb any possible doubts.

Q. Kan i use a free stock photo from sxc.hu to make a digital entry? I'm manipulation the photo but can i do that?
A. No, it must be your original work.

Q. i've made the 1st photo. You can e-mail more pictures??!
A. As per the rules, you can submit 1 picture per subject category.

Q. Could you please provide some examples of what can be submitted as a photo for each category?
A. Sure

- Outdoor Scenery
Photo of a mountain range, a forest, sunset.. anything that captures outdoor scenery, be it city or forest.

- Wildlife
Photos where the primary focul point of the photo is an animal. Can be insects, fish, etc.

- Indoor Scene
Photos of indoor themes... rooms, church, basilica ceilings, dining room setup etc.

- Still Life
Photo where the focal point is of an object generally without life like a bowl of fruit, a rock, a toy or a living organism with no means of movement under it's own strength such as a flower or plant. It's a bit hard to describe exactly, but I'm sure most people know what a still life is. Contact me if you're not sure.

- People / Portrait
Photos where people or a person is the primary focul point. As an example, a photo of a beach with person sun bathing in the corner would be aan outdoor photo, because the outdoor scene is the focal point. A photo with a person standing in the middle of it with a beach in the background would be a people shot because that person is the focal point.

(Have a question? Post it here or send it to me and I'll answer it here)

#2 Cephas

Cephas

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 01:18 PM

How will the UK entrants recieve the prize if they win? Surely shipping oversees would be a huge hassle?

#3 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 01:21 PM

That sure is one beautiful frame Jason, and what a lovely prize it is.

Good luck to all that enter.

#4 Mr. Matt

Mr. Matt

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 01:26 PM

1 question, even though i will be taking new images can people submit their old work?

and very nice prize there Jason and good luck to all that enter

time to start brain storming :huh:

#5 Tirus

Tirus

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Interests:Web Design, Programming, Music, Martial Arts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 01:36 PM

good luck guys! :huh:

#6 Xfader

Xfader

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Computers :)

Posted 09 June 2006 - 02:16 PM

I'm certainly going to submit an entry! :huh:

#7 johno

johno

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 02:56 PM

I will definitly submit one soon :huh:

#8 Mr. Matt

Mr. Matt

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:34 PM

another question:

will things like themes and ideas behind the photo be considered with the judges choosing the photos

Edited by deadly, 09 June 2006 - 04:35 PM.

#9 Matheus

Matheus

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:36 PM

I'll enter too

question: what size in pixels should we use at the image?
As my camera is a sony cybershot (digital), If I take a small picture, the quality will be VERY bad. So I need large photos to have a chance hehehe

I send to you the large photo or I can resize it in PhotoShop, then make the modifications and then send the two even if the original was resized?

thankyou and good luck to all
:)

#10 MK_LAGI

MK_LAGI

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Interests:p2l :D

Posted 09 June 2006 - 05:32 PM

Good luck to all of you guys :)

#11 Canen Art

Canen Art

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • Interests:I love taking photos of nature. That includes everything from the little bugs and animals all the way to natures beautiful landscapes.

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:51 PM

Good luck to everyone. We look forward to seeing your entries.

Best Regards,

Jason :)

#12 Cana-Balistic

Cana-Balistic

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 07:43 PM

I have a question.

I have a picture that my brother took a while ago. I did a minor color manipulation to it and turned it into a wallpaper. I dont have a copy of the original but if i can get it from him and have his say so to do it can i submit his original and my modified copy and give him credit?

#13 Patzt

Patzt

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 07:43 PM

Looks like a great comp! I'm putting my thinking cap on! :)

#14 Love

Love

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 07:59 PM

Oh! :0
Good luck to everyone! =D

#15 Concept X

Concept X

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:09 PM

good luck to everyone, only if i was getting my digital camera sooner :'( i'd rather take some pics than create some digital art right now lol

#16 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 09:07 PM

I have a question.

I have a picture that my brother took a while ago. I did a minor color manipulation to it and turned it into a wallpaper. I dont have a copy of the original but if i can get it from him and have his say so to do it can i submit his original and my modified copy and give him credit?

:angry:

Dan

#17 Benny_A

Benny_A

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:09 PM

I'm not quite understand how to submit....
u just say : All entries need to be submitted to me via email at info at pixel2life . com

could u explain how and where i can do that ?
Thanks

#18 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:22 PM

u just say : All entries need to be submitted to me via email at info at pixel2life . com

Thanks

Send your entries into Faken via email to: Attached File  email.png   965bytes   87 downloads you'll need to attach them to your email either in a zip file or just send as attachments.

#19 Zombee

Zombee

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:53 PM

Thanks

replace "at" with "@". The email addy to send it to.
Dan, I shoot with a Nikon D200, and if I send one entry for each catagory it's be about 300mb. Can i upload a zip file and send you a link via email?

#20 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:02 PM

Thanks

replace "at" with "@". The email addy to send it to.
Dan, I shoot with a Nikon D200, and if I send one entry for each catagory it's be about 300mb. Can i upload a zip file and send you a link via email?

Yep that's fine, but why would each entry be 300MB? I shoot a D100 and a D70S, which aren't that different from the D200 output, and it's not even close to that. A raw jpg on a D70s in super fine large format is around 2.5MB.

Anyhow, a link is fine :angry:

EDIT - OMG Zom!!! How the hell are ya man!!! What brings you to this side of the hill?? :love:

Dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users