Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

If you owned Pixel2life, where would you advertise it?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:15 PM

Just curious as to where you guys think Pixel2life should advertise to create awareness to people that we exist. Where would you advertise Pixel2life? I would like real suggestions by the way... places that actually offer ad space and such, not fantasy places like Adobe's front page :D

Dan

#2 Dale71

Dale71

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Stuff.

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:26 PM

I would have if it was a new site opening up but P2L is so popular nowerdays It dosn't need the advertising.

#3 Jem

Jem

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:Photography, design & developing, walking, cycling, reading.

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:34 PM

I wouldn't - I'd rely on word of mouth. Ok, it can often be slower than ad campaigns, but I find it delivers the most 'loyal' hits.

Alternatively you can involve your visitors in free advertising. Encourage people to link back with a variety of buttons and banners - even outright asking for support can work. For example, I encouraged members of a community I run to post a blog entry about the community on one day last year in exchange for a link in a thank you entry on my personal blog - about 50 members took part and it's only a small community (driving a huge spike of hits and applications to join). Imagine the amount of people that might consider taking part in a similar thing for P2L?

#4 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:51 PM

Well we have a 468x60 banner in rotation with paid advertisers at 13, we also used to pull the RSS feeds but after numerous complaints and trials I finally pulled them off.

Outside the web you should be looking at people that will interview you, Oprah and Ellen Degeneres would be great people to contact and don't laugh at this idea lol because it does work.

Your local newspaper/radio stations - the editors love personal success stories and anything web related is a good story these days.

Merchandise - pens with pixel2life on them etc, hats, caps even a calendar of pixel2life's best artwork selected by members. And t-shirts I would love a t-shirt with that pixel bowl looks so much nicer than the previous P2L arrow

Contacting educational institutions with flyers on pixel2life etc

On the web companies charge a small fortune for advertising you could be looking at $1,000's just for a few page impressions to get all of 10 clicks and maybe 1 new member. I'm personally against ad campaigns of any sort I have tried numerous ones and the stats are not great, word of mouth is free and works a lot better.

Try several leading software companies for a partner spot, I added P2L to SwishZone and they accepted P2L immediately - your promoting their software by offering a service in tutorials so all is fair and some of these guys give nothing back to the little people if you get what I mean.

And personally I feel every webmaster that submits tutorials to P2L should have P2L somewhere on their site.

Adding a proper download manager, Art Gallery, Resource Center and maybe even Blogs to Pixel2Life to increase member participation and the word will spread P2L has it all (btw IPB has all of these components and they are a simple install that fits into the sites look no skinning nothing) I use them at 13 if you want to test them out.

That's it for now

#5 Dale71

Dale71

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 12:59 PM

:D Me and a friend have an idea on somthing we thought of a bit ago to advertise P2L a bit ;)

That's all I can say for now, It's a suprise. ;P

#6 _*Zenom_*

_*Zenom_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2006 - 04:11 PM

TV! Create P2L commercials so it will be broadcasted everywhere in USA and Canada.

^im sure it will be expensive though *_*

#7 _*Zenom_*

_*Zenom_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:13 PM

This is the first time I heard about "Habbo". I registered and started "playing". Its a very weird pixel game. Its like you live a life except in a game. And you have to pay real money to get money in the game. It sounds stupid. ><"

I dont think thats a good place to advertise. Like I mentioned before, TV commercials is a good place :)

#8 Al3x

Al3x

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:57 AM

What about placing an ad on Adobe's Homepage ^_^.

Word of mouth, contests, joining rival forums.

#9 xis

xis

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:47 PM

A high speed chase durring rush hour on a major Los Angeles freeway with a big P2L banner on top
of the car would get some attention. :P

On a serious note why not try one of the many "techTV" type shows.

In the states we have shows like ScreeSavers I'm sure there are other such shows around north america and the rest of the world.

hmm. Thought a few other things after reading donna's post in more detail.

How bout setting up webmail e-mail addresses for your users. Instead of someone using gmail or yahoo mail they can use p2lmail. [email protected] etc.. You can then run advertisements that way when a user sends e-mail to a family member or buddy.

Along those same lines you can offer free blog or website templates that people can use free of charge as long as they keep the copywrite info in place. You can then run p2l adds on those tempaltes and esp the blogs. The blogs would work great as I'm sure there are tons of people out there that need/want blogs but simply don't have the time or knowledge to set one up. I'm not sure what you bandwidth issues are but if you can host the blogs pre-set-up it would really get some attention.

Contact ISP's and hosting sites. Work with them to include P2L as a resourse. Having run a hosting company for a while we used to add links to P2L to in our welcome message to the customer when they signed up. We did this without even asking you for a dime and you may or may not have known about it. P2L was a site that we recommended to our customers who were getting started on the web.

Hope that helps
Paul

Edited by xis, 08 August 2006 - 12:57 PM.

#10 _*Zenom_*

_*Zenom_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:48 PM

I also think Billboard ads is a great idea. Especially in Los Angeles, California.

Edited by Zenom, 08 August 2006 - 12:48 PM.

#11 Dale71

Dale71

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:41 PM

Yeh and think of the more hits Habbo will get when they bring out there new TV show and game.

Advertising on Habbo would be like advertising on TV as soon as Habbo goes on TV Habbo will get more hits, and if your Link is on there so will P2L.

Can we also take into consideration It's not about the game but It's about the people that even glimpse the site for a few seconds.

Also... Habbo is filled to the brim with Photoshop and other Art creation users. Some of which already come here. Now lets reel in the rest.

#12 Dale71

Dale71

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 05:09 PM

Yeh, you only need to go on Habbox forum too see the 100's of users always creating stuff in the graphics section.

They already adore P2L, ya see P2L tutorial links going around all the time.

#13 SKETCHi

SKETCHi

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:34 PM

Contact Kevin Rose of Systm, I'm sure he would interview you :P.

http://revision3.com/systm/

Other than that, perhaps just start a bunch of small ad campaigns on design related sites :). You can check webmaster forums like NamePros.com or SitePoint.com for listings of people looking to sell text and banner links.

Xis, I thought of a high speed chase for my own site lol. But I figured the news would just blur out the 10 foot banner I was going to trail behind my car :).

#14 xis

xis

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 02:07 AM

Xis, I thought of a high speed chase for my own site lol. But I figured the news would just blur out the 10 foot banner I was going to trail behind my car :D.

Nah, the beauty of it is that it's live and the media is too stupid to blur it out. It won't be till later that night or the next night before someone from the IT department at the local news station clues everyone else in :bs:

#15 α∂αмяoss

α∂αмяoss

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Interests:football, Manchester Utd., coding, web developement, business, girls and warcraft.

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:02 PM

If i had the money it'd be TV or the google homepage!

#16 Hoot

Hoot

* Hooty Tooty Fruit *

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Interests:Making Websites, Working in 3D, Playing the Drums

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:17 PM

TV! Create P2L commercials so it will be broadcasted everywhere in USA and Canada.

^im sure it will be expensive though *_*

I was offered a comercial on much music for free, since they were going to sponser a company of mine.

Hoot

#17 Hayden

Hayden

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:11 PM

And personally I feel every webmaster that submits tutorials to P2L should have P2L somewhere on their site.

I don't know if it's done now, as I don't write tutorials, but I would be more than happy to link back to P2L and if I submit tutorials to P2L, have some sort of link back to MY site. Like a list of Tutorial Contributors avaialble so that I can see all the sites of people that have made tutorials. Not necessarily seeing the tutorials themselves.

:D

#18 Dale71

Dale71

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:09 PM

Heh I stick by the Habbo advertising Idea. It will bring in by the thousands.

#19 CoryMathews

CoryMathews

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:11 AM

a few large scale ideas of mine. im not talking about how much it would cost or anything like that just that it could most likely be done.

1. Try and get adobe to put a link to p2l in there help manuels for users new to the design comunity. In exchange adobe could posibbly sell more products from users seeing what the programs can do from the tuts. Thats what got me into 3d was the tuts on this site. It told me what programs to use and who to buy them from.

2. Try to get on a tech tv show. Im from the US and the have i think 2 or 3 tech channels on extended cable. Maybe try to work out a once a week live tutorial from the p2l staff.

3. Buy ads in magazines such as pc mag. Only the tech people would read this mag and im sure most of them design as a hobby but would like to learn more.

4. Games such as warcraft 3 and starcraft on battle.net have sponsered tournaments and also have a space for an ad on their battle.net online gaming. check out blizzard.com

5. Sounds lame but open up accounts on places such as myspace and facebook with the account of pixel2life. Lots of people hit up those sites. Not always tech people but this type of advertising would be free.

Some things i wouldnt do is the email idea people will just come to use and abuse it.
I wouldnt do the blog either cause that wont get to many people and will be a huge bandwidth use.

Hope that helped out some. Thats all i could think of now.

#20 Dale71

Dale71

Jedi In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:06 AM

Yeh thats a idea that would be good that didn't come to my mind.

I second the idea for adverting in PC magazines distributed all over the world and go for the exzact target market. People with PC experience that may want to start graphics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users