Photo

Photoshop - Can you merge/combine paths?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jambe

Jambe

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:52 PM

Hi. I've vectored now for a long time, but I never learned if there's a way to merge two paths. Usually what happens is I become complacent and forget to return to a given tonal path when I'm working in highlight/shadows, and then I get two paths with the same tonal info on them. I'd like to merge the two together, like Shadows 1 & 2 in this example:

Posted Image

I've looked around online but didn't find an answer, searched through the forums here and didn't get what I was looking for... Is it possible? I'm sure I'm just missing some extremely intuitive premise here, or I'm overlooking something obvious... Either that or it's one of those "tucked into the corners" functions of the program (or such an option doesn't exist at all). I'm using CS2. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 α∂αмяoss

α∂αмяoss

P2L Jedi Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Interests:football, Manchester Utd., coding, web developement, business, girls and warcraft.

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:45 PM

I've also always wondered how to merge two layers together but i've nether really found out so yeah, it'd be cool if someone knows. Sorry i cant be of any use to you.

#3 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 10:09 PM

Select one or more layers (Holding down Ctrl while selecting the ones you want), right click>>Merge Layers

Hope that was what you were looking for :)

Edited by Bug, 31 December 2006 - 10:09 PM.

#4 Dance

Dance

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:26 AM

There is a "way" but it have a 0.5 pixel minimum ofset from the two or more orginal paths. What you do basicly is that you make shure that none of the paths you are working on is the "work path" is one is then drag it to the new paths icon in the pannel below. Then you select all the paths you wish to merge and press the "make work path from selection" button in the paths tabs pannel. However as said it aint exact so you would prolly be better of just having a extra shadowlayer.

Edited by Dance, 01 January 2007 - 03:29 AM.

#5 Jambe

Jambe

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:42 PM

Well, that's the thing, folks — one can't select more than one path at a time. Shift, Alt and Control clicking do not allow selecting of more than one active path. Layers and channels work that way, but not paths. I simply want to be able to take the path info from one path and add it to the another, so that they're both on the same work path.

I guess there isn't a way to do it directly. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

#6 Bug

Bug

P2L Staff

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,611 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:18 PM

Maybe contact Adobe?

#7 Jambe

Jambe

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:41 PM

I guess this snap will make it more obvious what I'm trying to do:

Posted Image

Lets say I want to add the paths "Skin Light 1" and "Skin Light 2" together. I don't want to merge the actual path lines/shapes together, I just want all the path info on the same layer. As if I have two circles drawn with the path tool but they appear on different work paths that don't overlap, but I want both circles on the same work path. Is it possible to do this without converting the info to a selection, shoving it together, and then reconverting it back into a path?

Edited by Jambe, 03 January 2007 - 07:43 PM.

#8 seraph!m

seraph!m

Pixels 4 Life!

• Members
  • Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:17 PM

Or just get Fireworks

:)

#9 AnmlstcBhvr

AnmlstcBhvr

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 03:17 AM

try to ctrl select all the first path and cut then paste it on the 2nd path.

#10 Dance

Dance

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:52 AM

Sorry i where unclear, when i said select the path, i ment "make a selection of the path" not select the path "layer". meaning that you make a selection of the whole area that the paths you want to merge and then make a new work path out of that area.

#11 Wyco

Wyco

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:26 AM

try to ctrl select all the first path and cut then paste it on the 2nd path.

Wow. That works :biggrin:
Thnx.!

#12 holydiver

holydiver

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:30 PM

To merge layers, try opening a new document and dragging over all the vector layers that you want to merge from your original file, they should merge in the new document where you can easily drag the new combined vector layer back to your original file. Hope that helps.

#13 Scythar

Scythar

Honored X Staff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 01:30 PM

i am sure he found the answer by now, or just got a way around it,
plz dont reopen posts that are almost 1 year old...
:P

Topic closed.

Edited by Scythar, 29 July 2008 - 01:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users