13 replies to this topic

#1 Nick

Nick

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 09:42 PM

I thought everyone should know about this because I've seen it used quite a bit. I know P2L uses Yahoo! ads, so I don't know what Yahoo's policy is..

Ad and image placement: a policy clarification
We've recently received a number of emails from publishers asking how we feel about the placement of images near Google ad units. There's been some confusion on this issue, and so we turned to our policy team to set the record straight.

Can I place small images next to my Google ads?

We ask that publishers not line up images and ads in a way that suggests a relationship between the images and the ads. If your visitors believe that the images and the ads are directly associated, or that the advertiser is offering the exact item found in the neighboring image, they may click the ad expecting to find something that isn't actually being offered. That's not a good experience for users or advertisers.

Publishers should also be careful to avoid similar implementations that people could find misleading. For instance, if your site contains a directory of Flash games, you should not format the ads to mimic the game descriptions.

Read the full post here -> http://adsense.blogs...ent-policy.html

#2 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 10:17 PM

Yep they are, Yahoo was cracking down months ago on misleading images, and now Google is.

Dan wrote an article on it a few dys ago

http://www.danrichar...s-your-warning/

#3 willsmith727

willsmith727

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:35 AM

Personally i think its a good idea to stop this. We shouldn't mislead visitors that don't have enough knowledge to recognize whats going on.

#4 DarK_AssassiN

DarK_AssassiN

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 01:14 PM

I use to click on those misleading ones by accident even when I knew better :bashhead: lol

#5 SlientNightmare

SlientNightmare

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:48 PM

yeah i used to do that when i was looking at tuts on P2L, actually thought they were tuts :rolleyes: o well

Edited by Gingerale :P, 04 January 2007 - 03:48 PM.

#6 Davey

Davey

P2L Jedi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Interests:Creativity, Adrenaline, Etc

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:41 PM

well if the "Ads by goooooogle" bit isn't enough and they are dumb enough to click em in the first place...! - i dunno

#7 Matthew.

Matthew.

Official Spammer .Matt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:49 PM

Just a tip that Clicksor have updated their TOS this month to include this.

Edited by Matthew., 04 January 2007 - 05:49 PM.

#8 Faken

Faken

Pimpmaster G

• Admin
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:08 AM

What pisses me off about this is that YPN, Adsense etc... are all cracking down on ways of displaying ads on our sites, yet they are doing absolutely nothing to improve the formatting of the ads to make them more attractive and match the look of our sites. They're had the same text formats and the limitations that go with them since 2002.

Dan

#9 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:27 PM

What pisses me off about this is that YPN, Adsense etc... are all cracking down on ways of displaying ads on our sites, yet they are doing absolutely nothing to improve the formatting of the ads to make them more attractive and match the look of our sites. They're had the same text formats and the limitations that go with them since 2002.

Dan

Well Google did but only those to few lucky ones that got in Premier Publishers or whatever they call them. Remember that time I saw those google ads that looked completely different? and the code was different as well?
I emailed Google to ask what they were, they'll be having those again but never mentioned exactly when.

#10 SasaVtec

SasaVtec

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:27 AM

Well this is weeks old, now these days either tutorial site owners or website owners in general are being smart ars' with google, or they haven't heard the big news.

As you know, you can now run google with google competitors on the same page with in googles reason of course, but you CAN NOT place images next to google ads.

http://www.jensense....adsense_14.html I have been going to many different sites, submitting tutorials, looking at stuff, and have seen many tutorial sites with still images next to ads. You will start seeing websites with blank spaces where google ads should/have once been, due to websites being banned by adsense. Once a website is banned by adsense, the ban will NOT be lifted no matter how much you beg google.

What I would suggest either remove that images or, if your site (s) gets a great amount of traffic go and apply for YPN.

#11 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:12 AM

Once a website is banned by adsense, the ban will NOT be lifted no matter how much you beg google.

That is false information.

What I would suggest either remove that images or, if your site (s) gets a great amount of traffic go and apply for YPN.

You cannot place images next to Yahoo ads either.

#12 WMaverick

WMaverick

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:02 PM

Dan

Yeah. The fundamental problem with Google is that they have grown too fast. Their business development staff have huge backlogs of fantastic ideas that haven't come about yet simply due to their scope and the amount of manpower that it will take to implement them.

One goldmine they're sitting on that hasn't come about yet is actually a splitting image of your integrated ads - text ads with assigned avatar images. It will require AdWords customers to either supply an avatar or pay a little more to have one provided. The amount of staff required (QA for approving submitted avatars, and designers for providing proprietary ones) makes the thing a bear of an undertaking, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it roll out by the end of 2009.

In a somewhat related note, I just finished a book that is primarily a business biography / industry insider documentary, but it also inadvertently explains exactly how to improve your PageRank. It's called The Search: How Google and Its Rivals Rewrote the Rules of Business and Transformed Our Culture, by John Battelle. Very, very highly recommended.

#13 Donna

Donna

Retired P2L Queen!

• P2L Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,330 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 12:25 AM

One goldmine they're sitting on that hasn't come about yet is actually a splitting image of your integrated ads - text ads with assigned avatar images. It will require AdWords customers to either supply an avatar or pay a little more to have one provided. The amount of staff required (QA for approving submitted avatars, and designers for providing proprietary ones) makes the thing a bear of an undertaking, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it roll out by the end of 2009.

I find that funny they're going to do this because they're presently banning sites that have images next to ads and now they're gonna do it themselves.

#14 CarTitans

CarTitans

Young Padawan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Cars

Posted 20 September 2007 - 03:12 PM

I had a $150/day in Adsense site pulled out because I had images next to ads. The stupid part is that they don't give out any warning. This happened in March and I never knew I had to read their TOS every few months to find out my sites are displaying ads in the wrong manner.

IN any case, it would make more sense to let you know first, what the problem is, and only then apply measures. My site was banned from displaying Google Adsense and was also pulled out from Google's index... ^_^ :P :censored:

Anyway, lesson learned, no more creative ads placement for me :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users